• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Possible Upcoming Reservation Forfeitures, then what?

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
I mentioned it in a thread, but I think it's really being overlooked.

Soon a lot of reservation holders are going to get a chance to order a MY23 Ford Lightning (a lot more than in the MY22 waves). Ford's new stance is that when it's your turn to order, you either pick an available model, or you will have your reservation deposit refunded and you will lose your reservation. That means, someone with a Day 1 reservation that is number 30ish at their dealer could get an invite in Wave 4 or 5+ (making this up as we have no clue Ford's allotment or Wave size), with no Pro or XLT available. A lot of these people were adamant on not spending $80k+ on a vehicle, I'm one of those people...I was always Pro or nothing.

Basically, people who want a Pro (or are willing to settle for an XLT SR if the Pro's are sold out) that reserved on Day 1 are going to have their reservation cancelled because they won't pick a higher trim if the lower trims are sold out. This may mean that someone that reserved 2 months after the announcement gets to order a MY24 Pro, while some of these others who reserved on Day 1 are sent to the back of the line without a reservation because of Ford's new stance of forfeiting a reservation if you don't pick an available model.

While Ford's communication has been bad, this here is what I think will be the most egregious (and indefensible) thing Ford does.
Sponsored

GarageMahal

First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2003 Mercury Marauder; 2023 Lightning XLT SR
Occupation
Geek
While we have reason to believe the Pro will be "sold out" there has been nothing specifically indicating that the XLT will be. I think it will be a major PR nightmare for Ford if they do now allow reservation holders to at least order the XLT SR when their turn comes up.

OP
OP

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
While we have reason to believe the Pro will be "sold out" there has been nothing specifically indicating that the XLT will be. I think it will be a major PR nightmare for Ford if they do now allow reservation holders to at least order the XLT SR when their turn comes up.
FWIW, the XLT sold out for MY22. Yes, there will be more allocation, but there are more reservations in the queue than allotment for MY23.

You think people that reserved thinking they were going to get a $40k EV Truck are going to be willing to pay $60k for the base model XLT (which is now what the MY23 XLT costs)?

I respectfully disagree, I think people will look at what they get for $13k extra over a Pro and won't want to pull the trigger. If they don't pull the trigger and place an order for whatever is available, they lose their reservation.

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
I agree it sucks, but Ford sucks at creating a fair reservation system for trucks they can’t or won’t build. Ford has Bronco reservation holders who have been waiting over two years for their chosen build. If the Pro model isn’t profitable and they will not be produced in large numbers, it makes sense to piss those “Pro or nothing” people off now rather than stringing them along for 2-3 years for a chance at a lower priced truck. They have about 190K reservation holders, enough to sell every profitable Lariat they can produce for at least the next two years.

I’m one of the lucky ones who just paid for my 2022 Pro yesterday, but honestly I’d have probably been out for 2023 at the $7805 price increase on the truck I bought.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
I think ford may be underestimating how many cancellations they are going to have due to the price increase. For many it was already borderline too high when compared to an ICE version, and the $8500US/$10500CAD increase pushed it way too high.

Sponsored

mr.Magoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, AMB
I think ford may be underestimating how many cancellations they are going to have due to the price increase.
Don't forget the tax credit.

I'm definitely in that category of people.
$80-90K is a LOT of money and even if I could/can afford it I'm struggling to justify it for a truck, even if it's cool. The tax credit made it more palatable, still a LOT of money and the wife still thinks I lost my mind.

For me the difference between my coming '22 and a '23 is ($94805 - $85742 = $9,063 after sales tax) add the lack of tax credit on top of that and it's a whopping $16,500 difference to a 2023, that would be enough for me to say it isn't worth it.
I mean, there's a LOT of options for $95,000 and the Lightning wouldn't be one of them for me.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
For me the difference between my coming '22 and a '23 is ($94805 - $85742 = $9,063 after sales tax) add the lack of tax credit on top of that and it's a whopping $16,500 difference to a 2023, that would be enough for me to say it isn't worth it.
Yup
Sponsored