• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Power Tailgate has never worked on Lariat ER

Straight2VHS

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E GT PE, 1995 Mustang 5.0
I have a 5/2 build week that was not delivered until 9/24. The power tailgate has never worked. In fact, when I first arrived, to purchase the truck, the tailgate would not open at all. After 3 weeks at the dealer, they were able to get the tailgate to manually open. I've had the truck back at the dealership for another 3 weeks now to see if they can resolve the power tailgate problem. Basically, if you try to put it into power tailgate mode on, it forces the selection back to Manual. So far the truck has been in my possession for 3 weeks and the dealer for 6 with barely 400 miles on the odometer. Curious if anyone has encountered this issue and if so what the solution was. Also curious if anyone has gone through a Ford buyback as this may qualify the vehicle as a lemon under the California Lemon Law. I was told by the service department that I'm not that far off from having the truck bought back.
Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
Have you tried taking it to a different dealer? The power tailgate isn't unique to the Lightning. Any dealer should be able to repair it.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I have a 5/2 build week that was not delivered until 9/24. The power tailgate has never worked. In fact, when I first arrived, to purchase the truck, the tailgate would not open at all. After 3 weeks at the dealer, they were able to get the tailgate to manually open. I've had the truck back at the dealership for another 3 weeks now to see if they can resolve the power tailgate problem. Basically, if you try to put it into power tailgate mode on, it forces the selection back to Manual. So far the truck has been in my possession for 3 weeks and the dealer for 6 with barely 400 miles on the odometer. Curious if anyone has encountered this issue and if so what the solution was. Also curious if anyone has gone through a Ford buyback as this may qualify the vehicle as a lemon under the California Lemon Law. I was told by the service department that I'm not that far off from having the truck bought back.
Have they engaged Ford engineering? They are available and will help with repairs on the Lightning. As noted it is not unique to the Lightning. Its odd that the software switch won't stay on, I'm not sure Ford is advanced enough, but could it be detecting a fault or could it be a setting that Forscan might even be able to see that the truck doesn't think it is supposed to have an electric tailgate.

OP
OP

Straight2VHS

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes, they have been in constant contact with Ford engineering. I even provided them an SSM # for this issue that Ford Engineering gave me but the dealer said that SSM didn’t apply to my VIN, which is weird because I provided my VIN to Ford who gave me that SSM #.

LightningMcqueen

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150, 2021 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Engineer
Mine stopped working at one point and I fixed it by disabling it in the settings and then re-enable it.

Sponsored

Ford Motor Company

Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Good morning! I would like to take a closer look at your Lightning's tailgate issues. To get started, can you please send over a private message with your VIN and the name/location of your local Ford dealer?

OP
OP

Straight2VHS

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Just an update on my issue. It looks like it may not be resolved and as a result, Ford RAV has been in contact with me to process a buy back under the California Lemon Law. It was been with the dealer for 8 weeks. Since this issue was identified before I even purchased the vehicle, proration should not be an issue. I only put 400 miles on it as it is. Other than the tailgate issue, the truck was great. I would not buy another one as the price has gone up and the ER’s don’t qualify for tax credits.

I’m just fine with my 2021 MachE GT Performance Edition, which has had no issues in over a year of ownership. I paid the original MSRP price before any increase and received all the tax credits, CA rebates, and even a POS rebate for the dealer belonging to a clean energy program at the time.

merek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat ER [6/20]
In NY you have the option during a lemon to get a replacement vehicle (or cash refund, at your choice), you may want to pursue that option if you liked the vehicle. I have to imagine Ford Corporate can pull a replacement vehicle out of thin air for situations like this.

I did this with my Subaru, and it was a painless process, some liquidation company took the vehicle, and Subaru cut the dealer a check for a new one.

If you're on the fence of keeping it, I feel like this is probably a solvable issue by a more competent dealer.

Reactions: GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Just an update on my issue. It looks like it may not be resolved and as a result, Ford RAV has been in contact with me to process a buy back under the California Lemon Law. It was been with the dealer for 8 weeks. Since this issue was identified before I even purchased the vehicle, proration should not be an issue. I only put 400 miles on it as it is. Other than the tailgate issue, the truck was great. I would not buy another one as the price has gone up and the ER’s don’t qualify for tax credits.

I’m just fine with my 2021 MachE GT Performance Edition, which has had no issues in over a year of ownership. I paid the original MSRP price before any increase and received all the tax credits, CA rebates, and even a POS rebate for the dealer belonging to a clean energy program at the time.
I hope that is the resolution that you are truly OK with.

What I struggle with here is truly can a dealership along with Ford engineering not make an automatic tail gate work in 8 weeks? There can only be so many modules or computer or wires involved that a little testing would give quick answers too.

if they can't figure out a tailgate what hope do any of us have when there are battery/motor/drive train issues.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
What gets me is that tailgate is on the ICE truck too. It's not unique. I would have at least given another service department a shot, even if some engineering team was involved.

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Hopefully they have been supplying a loaner for the time it's been in the shop. Otherwise this truck is already in lemon law territory. And that's disappointing AF since it's due to a tailgate that should be super simple to repair/replace.
Sponsored