• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powerboost Overheated while Towing

dhrandy

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1950 Plymouth, 2021 F-150 Lariat 500a
Occupation
Engineering Tech
Can anyone confirm that the Powerboost DOES have a transmission oil cooler?
According to this article:
https://pickuptrucktalk.com/2020/08/missing-transmission-oil-cooler-2019-2020-toyota-tundra/
" Ford said their new 2021 Ford F-150 “2.7L, 3.3L, 5.0L, 3.5L FHEV, and 3.5L all use the same trans mounted one cooler across the board. 3.0L has a unique trans cooler design that is common with the last gen 3.0L,” according to Dawn McKenzie, Ford Truck communications manager."
Even though the article is from 2021, they do not mention the 3.5L Powerboost in their list. Anyone know for sure if the PB does or does not have a trans oil cooler included also? (or even an "Auxillary" cooler that's in the Raptor-- the list they reference in the video from TFL, link below, doesn't include the PB!). Regardless, has anyone towed heavy up mountain passes and can
comment on whether or not they had overheating problems with the PB?
I've seen the test video done by TFL in which they did have some overheating, but they were going 65 MPH, which is faster than I would ever go up that pass. I live in Colorado and have towed an 8000# TT up that route MANY times with my '07 Tundra, 45 - 55 MPH (as fast as it will comfortably go) without any hint of overheating ever. (Got a PB Plat on order to replace it with if it'll ever arrive). Also, the word from a Ford engineer in their last video about it was that their F-150 didn't have the MAX Tow option, implying that if it did, it wouldn't have overheated.

SO... Any and all comments welcome, Thanks!
I'm almost certain that no 2021 and up F-150s have a transmission cooler except for maybe the diesel and Raptor. Doesn't matter what tow package you have.

Why so hot? F-150 transmission oil temperature explained (pickuptrucktalk.com)
Sponsored