• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powerboost Overheated while Towing

diesel97

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Edge
Occupation
electrical
My answer: yes... it is an advertisement after all. Personally, I don't buy something to then max it out as I feel there should be a buffer for reliability's sake. ( Ex. I have one of those as seen on tv copper frying pans but the lady said I can scratch it with a fork and then STILL be able to peel off the burnt cheese. Who would do that? Just because she said it would do it, I want that pan to last as long as possible) Furthermore, when it comes to Ford trucks- as far as I know , they don't list the actual tow ratings on the trucks ( in bold or otherwise) while in brochures and advertisements it's met with a disclaimer that refers you to the official towing guide. Now, I'll admit the towing guide is a fairly dry read but it would take all the shock out of finding what your net towing/hauling numbers and even mention the SAE J2807 test while also sparing your family, friends and fellow forum members your outrage. If anything, I'd be disappointed in payload numbers but if you know how that works, that also wouldn't surprise you. Food for thought, while an F-150 may have a max payload of 2800 lbs, that 2800 lbs is a 4x2 reg cab xl with zero options... in real life, a Ford Maverick base has almost as much payload as a fully loaded Limited F-150. Bottom line, and I mean this respectfully, educate yourself on this matter and understand how this works and this is a non issue. UNLESS you bought a truck that was too light duty for the task at hand because the buyer didn't do their homework.
But, but a YT nobody said it could tow a house and get 50mpg while doing it LOL
Sponsored

OP
OP
Timsvtgen1

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Bronco Spt BL , '21 Tremor Ordered
But, but a YT nobody said it could tow a house and get 50mpg while doing it LOL
I am still trying to get to that 50 MPG mark.

jcaspar

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 4x4
So it is okay with you to advertise in BOLD and put on the truck's specification sticker that a pickup truck has a 12,700 tow rating when there is no way the truck or ANY version of that model can tow anywhere near that weight? Just because it is done does not make it right.
You might want to revisit your math a bit. Below are the specs of a 2021 XLT Powerboost. Payload is 1690. Given the 10% tongue weight (though it looks like you were using 8% earlier) for the 12,700 capacity:

1690 - 1270= leaves 420 lbs for a couple of passengers. It definitely can be done. You just picked the wrong options. Ford probably should have a specific tow rating for each truck for those who don't understand how tongue weight works but I suspect they expect someone with a trailer to have this basic knowledge. It is definitely possible but not with all configurations.

From a thread on payloads:
2021 XLT Powerboost, 302a, ProPower 7.2kw, Tech tow package, B&O sound, lock storage, power pedals and Sport package.
payload = 1690
price w. TTL 51K

Ford F-150 Lightning Powerboost Overheated while Towing payload-markup-

OP
OP
Timsvtgen1

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles

Sponsored

PungoteagueDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX, Porsche C4S, Ford F-350 KR, Ford F-150 K
Occupation
retired
My answer: yes... it is an advertisement after all. Personally, I don't buy something to then max it out as I feel there should be a buffer for reliability's sake. ( Ex. I have one of those as seen on tv copper frying pans but the lady said I can scratch it with a fork and then STILL be able to peel off the burnt cheese. Who would do that? Just because she said it would do it, I want that pan to last as long as possible) Furthermore, when it comes to Ford trucks- as far as I know , they don't list the actual tow ratings on the trucks ( in bold or otherwise) while in brochures and advertisements it's met with a disclaimer that refers you to the official towing guide. Now, I'll admit the towing guide is a fairly dry read but it would take all the shock out of finding what your net towing/hauling numbers and even mention the SAE J2807 test while also sparing your family, friends and fellow forum members your outrage. If anything, I'd be disappointed in payload numbers but if you know how that works, that also wouldn't surprise you. Food for thought, while an F-150 may have a max payload of 2800 lbs, that 2800 lbs is a 4x2 reg cab xl with zero options... in real life, a Ford Maverick base has almost as much payload as a fully loaded Limited F-150. Bottom line, and I mean this respectfully, educate yourself on this matter and understand how this works and this is a non issue. UNLESS you bought a truck that was too light duty for the task at hand because the buyer didn't do their homework.
I said nothing about a buffer. My truck has a sticker that says it can tow 12,700 pounds and another that says it has an 1,140 pound payload capacity. Both ratings cannot be true on one truck, full stop. I am VERY educated on towing, have a CDL license for use with my F-350 which has a 32K towing capacity when pulling the big car hauler on fifth wheel. I've towed to the four corners of this country and many places overseas. Stop patronizing. This is BS and you know it - throw out all the buyer beware - be educated crap all you want - 99% of F-150 buyers have NO IDEA that their 2" factory frame-mounted heavy duty hitch is rated to tow only 5,000 pounds no matter what the truck is rated to tow - UNLESS they use a weight distributing hitch. Burying qualifiers in off-page industry specs or even on the page in tiny footnotes is no way to do business - and the example above is Exhibit A of where it goes wrong - the truck virtually says - "here, do this thing with THIS truck" but then somewhere else says, "oh, yeah, but THIS truck cannot do this thing". Sheesh.

OP
OP
Timsvtgen1

Timsvtgen1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I said nothing about a buffer. My truck has a sticker that says it can tow 12,700 pounds and another that says it has an 1,140 pound payload capacity. Both ratings cannot be true on one truck, full stop. I am VERY educated on towing, have a CDL license for use with my F-350 which has a 32K towing capacity when pulling the big car hauler on fifth wheel. I've towed to the four corners of this country and many places overseas. Stop patronizing. This is BS and you know it - throw out all the buyer beware - be educated crap all you want - 99% of F-150 buyers have NO IDEA that their 2" factory frame-mounted heavy duty hitch is rated to tow only 5,000 pounds no matter what the truck is rated to tow - UNLESS they use a weight distributing hitch. Burying qualifiers in off-page industry specs or even on the page in tiny footnotes is no way to do business - and the example above is Exhibit A of where it goes wrong - the truck virtually says - "here, do this thing with THIS truck" but then somewhere else says, "oh, yeah, but THIS truck cannot do this thing". Sheesh.
I believe it was me that used the word "buffer" right after I used the word personally, sorry if you took that as I was attributing it to you. Serious question, where is this sticker that says 12,700 located on your F-150? I also have a CDL as well as a resume , but unfortunately that doesn't exempt me from being wrong on any variety of things in the past. Up to this point --- I haven't been anything but respectful with you, including actually using the word respectful . I am genuinely trying to figure out where, A. your "sticker" is that ford put on your truck that says 12,700. B. Technically speaking I have a ridiculously small interest in Ford in the form of about $1286 dollars in stock, but I can assure you I'm not a special pleader for them. That being said, I have zero interest in making up 'BS' and giving "buyer beware" disclaimers. Maybe you are right about the '99%' of F-150 buyers not knowing what their truck is rated for, and if so- where does that leave you ? Every truck has those same stipulations attached and no other manufactures truck is different in this respect . Ford states this in their towing guide many many times (here's a partial example)-

"Maximum towing capabilities are for properly equipped vehicles with required equipment and a 150-lb. driver and passenger and vary based on cargo, vehicle configuration, accessories, option content and number of passengers. Maximum payload capabilities are for properly equipped vehicles with required equipment and vary based on vehicle configuration, accessories, and option content. See label on door jamb for carrying capacity of a specific vehicle. Horsepower, torque, payload and towing are independent attributes and may not be achieved simultaneously. For additional information, see your Ford Dealer "

Also here is said towing guide- 2021 Ford F-150 Trailer Towing Selector

You clearly can see it addresses everything you mentioned and more. If your arbitrary 99% number of F-150 owners that Have" NO IDEA " ( which Is kind of a direct insult to a lot of guys here btw , statistically speaking) read this, there's no more secret. What is underhanded or footnote-ish about this???? THEY LITERALLY MAKE A PUBLICATION EVERY YEAR SPECICIFICALLY FOR EACH VEHICLE??? to tell you down to the LITERAL pound, forget 'virtually' so your exhibit A is 'virtually' nonsense because Ford tells you exactly what your truck can do with respect to its capabilities in the form of the above mentioned publications. Sheeshx2

Last edited:

FtS

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback
I am a mechanical engineer and I can tell you from experience, that the engineering team can meet a spec at certain conditions, and marketing can go way out of bounds with that information and almost make false advertising very quickly.
As am I. Marketing people are...marketing people.
Most try to be engineers, oh boy is that a challenge. I am lucky if a can get a NPL scope done correctly from them.
You know, you guys, the “engineers,” made up this silly Pi just to make your nonesense seem rational; otherwise, it’s all BS.

… I have been married to a very highly educated and totally logical engineer for 30 years now, still going strong.
- Me, the marketing guy

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 F150, 2020 Explorer
Occupation
Engineering
You know, you guys, the “engineers,” made up this silly Pi just to make your nonesense seem rational; otherwise, it’s all BS.

… I have been married to a very highly educated and totally logical engineer for 30 years now, still going strong.
- Me, the marketing guy
Unless you worked for the government, ANSI, ASME, ASTM, AWS, ISO, SAE, OSHA, IEC, CFR, CE, DOT, OVSC and I can go on and on. Most manufacturers only follow the interpretations of these standards and meet the baseline of each standard that is applicable to the product being tested/produced.

Honestly you can thank the government for all the involvement for most of the standards. Basically, they say you have to meet X,Y and Z while being limited every year to be more efficient and safer or they get penalized/fined.

If you think the pressure at your job is tough. Imagine trying to produce a product for the general public while having the government tell you what you can and cannot do, and you have to achieve it while trying to update your product line. All while doing this having people of limited knowledge of the Auto industry making new regulations that only hurt the manufacture ability to produce a good product.

The continuous rising prices of vehicles is not going to be adsorb the manufacture it is always passed to the consumer, so you can also thank the government for the rising prices. The bottom line is all the man hours testing and prototypes cost overhead that is not profitable, when marketing is more profitable, if presented in an accurate manner.
So yes, I 100% believe that a manufacture will use the path of least resistance "Interpretations of standards" to get it out the door.

Bottom-line is that you have people "Government" telling the experts "Manufactures" what and how build the product, with very limited input from the actual consumer. Marketing errors can cause serious legal ramifications if a product is represented in a incorrect manner. "Sometimes you cannot just wine and dine them."

Sponsored

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
This is one wore out thread and nothing new stated... just saying
And, I hate seeing the title. Because, well ... it didn't overheat :)

FtS

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outback
Unless you worked for the government, ANSI, ASME, ASTM, AWS, ISO, SAE, OSHA, IEC, CFR, CE, DOT, OVSC and I can go on and on. Most manufacturers only follow the interpretations of these standards and meet the baseline of each standard that is applicable to the product being tested/produced.

Honestly you can thank the government for all the involvement for most of the standards. Basically, they say you have to meet X,Y and Z while being limited every year to be more efficient and safer or they get penalized/fined.

If you think the pressure at your job is tough. Imagine trying to produce a product for the general public while having the government tell you what you can and cannot do, and you have to achieve it while trying to update your product line. All while doing this having people of limited knowledge of the Auto industry making new regulations that only hurt the manufacture ability to produce a good product.

The continuous rising prices of vehicles is not going to be adsorb the manufacture it is always passed to the consumer, so you can also thank the government for the rising prices. The bottom line is all the man hours testing and prototypes cost overhead that is not profitable, when marketing is more profitable, if presented in an accurate manner.
So yes, I 100% believe that a manufacture will use the path of least resistance "Interpretations of standards" to get it out the door.

Bottom-line is that you have people "Government" telling the experts "Manufactures" what and how build the product, with very limited input from the actual consumer. Marketing errors can cause serious legal ramifications if a product is represented in a incorrect manner. "Sometimes you cannot just wine and dine them."
Although I understand the underlying points you are making, I cannot disagree with you more on the comments related to the Government. Yes, let's keep blaming the Government for everything, and the industry is the expert.

I do work for the Federal Government. I can go on and on about how the 'industry' is cheating the public in so many ways, but that will take us to another discussion that does not belong here. I'll leave it at that.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
So it is okay with you to advertise in BOLD and put on the truck's specification sticker that a pickup truck has a 12,700 tow rating when there is no way the truck or ANY version of that model can tow anywhere near that weight? Just because it is done does not make it right.
God its you again!! Everywhere I look on this forum, I run into a thread where you are bashing the PB. You saw a photo of a powerboost towing a big boat and bought one and now surprised its not as good as an f350. Pretty ordinary thinking and I could care less about your HOA. Go away!

Last edited:

Mortonsk9s

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150, 2018 F150, 2020 Explorer
Occupation
Engineering
Although I understand the underlying points you are making, I cannot disagree with you more on the comments related to the Government. Yes, let's keep blaming the Government for everything, and the industry is the expert.

I do work for the Federal Government. I can go on and on about how the 'industry' is cheating the public in so many ways, but that will take us to another discussion that does not belong here. I'll leave it at that.
The mandates made on the Auto industry is based off of Government exposure 100%. EPA would be one for example. For another example, ABS or backup cameras, airbags, it was a option in the past now it is required for passenger vehicles as a standard option. It is safer to have these options 100% but why up-fit a vehicle with newer technology for a year or two in hopes of making more profit and then new mandates are implemented to add these to all vehicles as standard, now they are required too. That cost will never be absorbed from the supplier and will be passed on to the consumer.

2 point seat belts developed from testing to reduce g-forces on pilots in aircraft from military testing was lobbied into a auto mandate from the government. Even though seat belts are cheap there is still a cost associated with it. There is a very long history of government involvement in the auto industry.

I am not arguing that companies are not cheating the public or trying to find a loop hole, why have a business if you are not making money from it? They have very little profit margin on a vehicle, spare parts is where the money is made. I would be more concerned with the insurance industry cheating the public than the Auto industry.

The SAE J2807 standard was developed for every manufacturer to reach a goal and test equally and if the vehicle reaches the requirements of all the test requirements then it can be rated as such.

Reactions: FtS

Whiskey

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Hybrid, 2020 Toyota Corolla Hybrid
Occupation
Retired Miner
man, if you are getting 5.5mpg, either you are doing something VERY wrong, or your truck is not set up right at all for your application.

I say this because at highway speeds, you are not using the hybrid system at all. It is all the 3.5 EB doing the work. Even when I am towing a roughly 10,500 lbs cargo trailer through the mountains here in Alberta, I am not that low. Worst I have ever encountered was 7.5mpg (32L/100kms).

When I am towing my 7500lbs travel trailer, I am usually around 10-10.5MPG on the flats, and ~8.5 in the mountains.

So, I think you are trying to do to much, and expecting it to be like your F350, which it isn't. No amount of bitching and whining is going to change that. You are angry that your truck can't do the job as well as your 1 ton, but really, you shouldn't be so mad at the truck, you should be mad at the HOA.

As the old addage goes, the right tool for the job, and my friend, it doesn't sound like you have the right tool.
Yea, I agree, something else is going on. I tow with my PB in the mountains at 6800 feet and get 8-10mpg all the time. Catalina 28THS, I have however had false “Overheating” warnings three times while traveling on bumpy mountain level roads each time, speeds less than 15mpg. Never overheated pulling up over Wolf Creek Pass.
Sponsored