• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Powering a Home

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
Electrical Manufacturing
This is exactly where/how you would install an MTS. You would ignore your interlock, as the breaker (typically 50A) that the 30A transfer switch is wired to acts as the interlock, and has to be shutoff when on gen/truck.
You need to be real careful giving out advice like that... without knowing the actual set up ignoring the interlock could be a problem. That is why going to a subpanel is cleaner. In addition there is the issue of what is the 150 capable of putting out and what does the individual want to run?
Sponsored

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
Electrical Manufacturing
So you don't make a "bigger" switch that would handle my setup?
Do you know of a switch that would and that doesn't also have a bunch of it's own circuits?
I understand if you don't want to address that second question.
Thanks Kevin @EZ Generator Switch
Mike , I answered this but I would be happy to give you some more advise if you PM me...can you do that on here??

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
Thanks, I think I understand what you are suggesting... in addition to the mechanical interlock that currently switches the source to the subpanel between power from the main panel and power from the generator, I would install a second manual transfer switch between the two panels that would also handle the neutral problem.

Would installing such a switch between the generator wall connector and the subpanel do the same thing?

Do you (please!) have a link to such a switch... again, one without all it's own circuits?
Thanks. /Mike
The following example might work for you, with neutral connected through the 3rd pole. Note that this method requires 100A equipment because you are interrupting everything between the main panel and subpanel, independent of what the Lightning can supply.

Generac Power Systems - Automatic Transfer Switches

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cadillac Escalade
Occupation
Electrical Manufacturing
Mike
Go to the local electrical supply house and tell them you are looking for a 100 amp Non service 3 phase TRANSFER SWITCH. Center position off. The reason you need 100 amps is because the sub panel has a 80 amp feed and they don't make 80 amp transfer switches. Its inside so you don't need weather proof but that might not be an option. They can give you options and of course you can shop those models everywhere, your electrician can do this 4u if your intention is to give him the job.

mmcguirk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Excellent, thank you Kevin!
- This transfer switch would take care of the GFCI issue when powering the subpanel with the truck, right?
- And it would let me pick truck or generator as the source of power for the 30A leg powering the subpanel? If truck, it would fix the bonded neutral issue; if generator selected, it would function as it does now.
- It would be installed between the wall/outside plug and the subpanel, right? If that's a yes, that leg only ever carries more than 30A and, with the interlock, I don't see anyway the full 80A coming from the main panel could backflow into the 30A leg. So can't I get by with a 30A switch? I do understand that 30A is not going to be able to power everything in the subpanel but I've been dealing with that quite happily for years with the gas generator.
- When are you guys going to build an F-150 Lightning specific switch. You'd definitely sell a few on this forum.
Mike
Sponsored