• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Problems getting the truck out of Park

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
I think the truck will put it self in park if you turn it off and exit it (still in drive) altho I am not sure I would want to test that.. I have seen videos of folks doing it.
It does do this - have tried a few times. Used it a lot in the Tesla, which I trusted. I'm still learning where I can trust Ford software and where I can't, but indeed if you open the door with it running it will put itself in Park.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
It does do this - have tried a few times. Used it a lot in the Tesla, which I trusted. I'm still learning where I can trust Ford software and where I can't, but indeed if you open the door with it running it will put itself in Park.
Two different things.

He said putting it in park if you turn it off and exit. You said open door with it running.

I believe both will result in it being put into Park.

Reactions: GDN

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
If it is the same as the ICE F150, opening the door with your seatbelt on will NOT trigger the truck to put it in park.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
If it is the same as the ICE F150, opening the door with your seatbelt on will NOT trigger the truck to put it in park.
Thanks - I know I've been able to make the truck put itself in Park automatically, but with only 10 days didn't remember my sequence. I believe the Tesla also required the seat belt to be off.

Either way - it was a nice to have. I do know many people using this as a work truck will hate a feature like this - and I agree. I used to feed cattle out of a truck and when you need to jump in the seat, put it in drive and move only 30 feet, you rarely close the door or put the seat belt on.

These are the features that truly commuters vs workers will disagree on. With the thousands of options in the menus, maybe this "Automatic Park" should be one vs being standard.

What is safety to one is normal operation to another.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I just verified this on the Mach-E. Open door with belt on, nothing. Open door with belt off, shifts to park and changes to accessory mode.

Sponsored

parabellum85

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
For me it is a little annoying just the length of time it takes for you to be able to get it out of park once you turn on the truck. I seem to always have to try a few times to get it out of park.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
I really have no issues with this. Usually, I am not in a hurry though and make sure certain things are done before I go.

I turn on the truck, connect my phone to the USB (even thought I have wireless I prefer wired), and place my phone in the little area between the shifter and the cup holders. I then move out of park, and down my driveway. In fact, I find it better than my 2021 F150 Lariat PowerBoost. Maybe I had an "issue" with that one, and I didn't realize it.

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Just tonight - leaving dinner I had trouble again. Took 3 tries to get out of Park and I'm trying to very cognizant of giving it time to boot completely and then a firm foot on the brake and then a firm press of the button. Had someone even watching. I'll continue to be deliberate in how I do it.

SmoothJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 HEV
Just tonight - leaving dinner I had trouble again. Took 3 tries to get out of Park and I'm trying to very cognizant of giving it time to boot completely and then a firm foot on the brake and then a firm press of the button. Had someone even watching. I'll continue to be deliberate in how I do it.
Could you record a video?

Stlww18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro, 6/3 blend date
The Pro mannequin I test drive had a very finicky shifter too. It felt cheap and didn’t seem to want to move easily

OP
OP
GDN

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
So - I think I have it figured out. Truly user error, but an easy one in my opinion. I realized this weekend sitting in the truck before driving that the shifter seems to have some pretty good play in it. I realize that I likely pull on the shifter just a bit as I pull on the button - and it doesn't want to budge. I started pushing on the shifter ever so slightly - it'll move, I press the button and it will come out of Park each time.

It has some slack and it is finicky. Either don't move it while pressing the button or press a bit toward the front as you press the button.
Sponsored