• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

ProPower and engine running full time for RV use or any use

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat, Powerboost, Supercrew, FX4, 502A
Occupation
Professional Bum
I haven't hooked up my RV to ProPower yet, but I was playing with the generator and it says my engine will run full time, is this correct? Because I read many articles on powering up your RV and everyone said the engine started as needed just to replenish the lithium battery. I don't want my truck running full time. Any actual users of this can chime in? Did they change something on the newer trucks coming out? Thanks
Sponsored

Bandito

First Name
Rodrigo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Limited PowerBoost
I believe that it's related to the overall current draw on the system. If you exceed a certain threshold, then the ICE will run to supply the necessary power.

Sentinel1201

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Powerboost
Engine will not run full time, defeats the point of having a lithium battery to draw from. Engine will run every once in a while to charge up that battery.

I run a 15k BTU overhead RV AC, tire warmers, microwave, fans, battery tenders etc trackside from the 7.2 pro power. Engine kicks on every 20-30 minutes for a minute or two and then shuts off.

Shooter56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Occupation
Attorney
Did a long weekend in the cool weather last month, so without AC, but with tank heater on all night, the engine kicked on about 4-5 times per hour for about a minute or so each time. Remember to shut off lights, climate control, and even the display in the truck. Saves on the lithium battery and therefore, engine run time.

Engine idle uses about 1 gal per hour, so if the engine is only running 7 minutes an hour, I calculated I used about .10 gals per hour at night and less during the day without tank heater and AC. Taking into consideration that I didn’t have the trailer plugged in for a good part of the day. I probably used less than 4 gals during the three day trip.

And because it’s so quiet the boondocking experience is significantly enhanced without a noisy generator.

Game changer indeed.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
I believe that it's related to the overall current draw on the system. If you exceed a certain threshold, then the ICE will run to supply the necessary power.
well that's what I thought also, but it stumped me when I turned it on to test it with a fan and it said engine will run full time. I didn't leave it on long so never got to see.

Sponsored

F-150 Prius

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Platinum PowerBoost FX-4 6½
Occupation
Software Algorithms
Did a long weekend in the cool weather last month, so without AC, but with tank heater on all night, the engine kicked on about 4-5 times per hour for about a minute or so each time. Remember to shut off lights, climate control, and even the display in the truck. Saves on the lithium battery and therefore, engine run time.

Engine idle uses about 1 gal per hour, so if the engine is only running 7 minutes an hour, I calculated I used about .10 gals per hour at night and less during the day without tank heater and AC. Taking into consideration that I didn’t have the trailer plugged in for a good part of the day. I probably used less than 4 gals during the three day trip.

And because it’s so quiet the boondocking experience is significantly enhanced without a noisy generator.

Game changer indeed.
Google says 30 hours. I can't imagine the campsite that would burn 7.2kW continuously let alone hour after hour. I guess in a blizzard a giant triple axle 5th wheel with three AC units, four slide outs, a large family taking continuous hot showers, and cooking Thanksgiving dinner …
In my experience, the engine is off "most of the time" … in "eco" idle mode, it comes on and charges the battery quickly then it's off for long periods (30 minutes or more.)
A generator burns 1 gallon per hour and a generator doesn't have a storage battery. I've slept in the cabin during winter in falling snow. I'm guessing the engine was on for 5 minutes per 30 minutes. After about 6 hours, the tank wasn't down 6 gallons (of a 30 gallon tank, that's 20% …. which would have been significant on the gauge) … and 6 gallons would drop the range by 120 miles … I took before/after photos of the dash at least a couple of times, but I can't find them now to check my facts.
As noted, the luxury is the near silence. Even sleeping in the cab, it wobbles the suspension but it doesn't wake me.
https://camperreport.com/2021-f150-ford/

imnuts

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 502A Powerboost 4Ă—4
Occupation
Facilities Engineer
Which ProPower/engine do you have? If you don't have a Powerboost, the engine will run full time to run the system.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
Which ProPower/engine do you have? If you don't have a Powerboost, the engine will run full time to run the system.
Powerboost 7.2kw

EricR

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
"PowerBeast" - our 2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
"On" is not equal to "Running".

The engine needs to be "on" all of the time to use generator mode. But as we know, our powerboost trucks can be on and yet the engine not running.

OP
OP

dannko58

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Professional Bum
"On" is not equal to "Running".

The engine needs to be "on" all of the time to use generator mode. But as we know, our powerboost trucks can be on and yet the engine not running.
SORRY let me correct myself, it said engine running

ptricky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150
Agreed -
I *think* I saw somewhere that the engine runs full time if you are drawing more than 2.4-kW (or don't have the PowerBoost hybrid system). Anything less and the inverter & battery can keep up with the load & only cycle the engine as needed.

In any case, the RV's we have rented & used with the ProPower have had smaller AC units that would run off a 15A circuit. The engine has cycled as others have described.
Sponsored