• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unique use for the ProPower and Hotspot ability of the Ford F-150 Lightning?

dachelpo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F-150 Lightening, 2015 Ford Flex
Occupation
Retired - Music Director 21 years, H.S. Principal 8 years, Public School Supt. 9 years, Church Organist 21+ years
I am an amateur radio operator, AC0UH, and this coming Saturday and Sunday are the Amateur Radio Relay League’s (ARRL) field day activities. ARRL Field day is the last full weekend in June and is an opportunity for the amateur community to get together away from their residences or club location to go into the field and isolated areas to assess their emergency preparedness. The amateurs try to use alternative energy sources to power their communications’ equipment during field day to mimic a possible grid outage creating a local community, state, or national crisis. I am taking my 2022 Ford Lightning to participate with my local amateur radio club, Davenport (IA) Radio Amateur Club. My 2022 Lightning is a mannequin that I purchase in Feb. 2022. I was expecting to be disappointed when I visited my local Ford dealership as it appeared online that the model I desired, with the optional batteries, would be over the MRSP allowed to qualify for the federal tax credit rebate. However, Sexton Ford of Moline, IL, had a rapid red mannequin 2022 with just over 4000 miles with the major options I desired, including the optional extended batteries, ProPower, and tow package. The savings just on the optional extended batteries from 2022 to 2023 was a reduction from $15,000 on the sticker to $10,000 on the MRSP!

The estimated 170 kWh, net 155 kWh, of the extended optional batteries should help power a lot of equipment over field day. I also want to take advantage of the Lightning’s ability to become a ‘Hotspot’ for Internet connectivity. Yesterday I signed up for the 3-month/10 GB trial for hotspot connectivity. Here is a question for everyone, “How far will the Ford Lightning’s hotspot extend? I would like to be able to offer the connectivity to other club amateurs in the immediate area so they could upload their contacts (logbooks), check on radio wave propagation, relay information to other members or clubs, etc..

I notice too that although my new AT&T hotspot received a new phone number for creation of the hotspot (preferred relationship with FordPass) my Lightning also has its own Wi-Fi presence that can be seen and signed into around the truck. Could people connect to my truck’s Wi-Fi and then connect to the AT&T hotspot? Just connect to the AT&T hotspot (of course with proper name and password)? Or can I take an old router with me and run it for the weekend, somehow feeding the Internet from the hotspot into the router (and again sharing name and password with members). The location of the local club’s field day is next to Interstate 280 around the Quad Cities so I am expecting either my Samsung S20 android cell phone ability to become a hotspot or my Lightning and AT&T can assist.

Anyone with ideas please tag me back. It could be that other DRAC members will have experience with hotspots and networking. For me, this will be trial and error.
Sponsored

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
The estimated 170 kWh, net 155 kWh....
The usable extended range battery capacity is 131 kWh at 100% (displayed). The actual capacity is 143 kWh but we aren't able to use the full battery. Where did you get your numbers from?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Your friends can connect to the AT&T hot spot you just subscribed to, not sure how far outside the cabin it's signal will reach though.

The other wifi signal you're seeing is for use by your smart phone to project phone functionality via the projection SIID to the trucks Sync console, you don't want your buddies pairing to the truck for this purpose, even if you did, it does not bridge the integral telematics connection nor the just rented AT&T hotspot.

PS, my dad was a HAM [W1GAM] until his passing in 1973

OP
OP
dachelpo

dachelpo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired - Music Director 21 years, H.S. Principal 8 years, Public School Supt. 9 years, Church Organist 21+ years
Zprime29,

I got it from What Is The Battery Capacity Of Ford F-150 Lightning? (insideevs.com)

where they state, "What Is The Battery Capacity Of Ford F-150 Lightning?
Our guess is: 115 kWh net/125 kWh total (Standard-Range Battery) and 155 kWh net/170 kWh total (Extended-Range Battery)."

You can see in the quote that it was their guess. I researched in more depth and found 3 sources that agree with your 131 kWh. I am happy to go with your figure. :)

OP
OP
dachelpo

dachelpo

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Your friends can connect to the AT&T hot spot you just subscribed to, not sure how far outside the cabin it's signal will reach though.

The other wifi signal you're seeing is for use by your smart phone to project phone functionality via the projection SIID to the trucks Sync console, you don't want your buddies pairing to the truck for this purpose, even if you did, it does not bridge the integral telematics connection nor the just rented AT&T hotspot.

PS, my dad was a HAM [W1GAM] until his passing in 1973
Thanks for your input. I will concentrate on the AT&T hotspot and not waste time trying to do more with the projection SIID to the trucks Sync console.

My dad was a ham also (W9YJN). He is also a silent key (ham jargon for no longer sending morse code via a straight key).

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Thanks for your input. I will concentrate on the AT&T hotspot and not waste time trying to do more with the projection SIID to the trucks Sync console.

My dad was a ham also (W9YJN). He is also a silent key (ham jargon for no longer sending morse code via a straight key).
I think you'll find that the AT&T Hotspot isn't going to work for you, because it's not going to reach anywhere near the range outside the truck that you'd want. Using your phone as a hotspot would work much better.

Edit - I did some research, and it's "up to 50 feet" and 10 connections.

You'll also find that your trial data goes real, real fast...

Most people find that using a phone as a hotspot makes more sense than the in-vehicle hotspot even when in the vehicle.

As far as being a power source, I'd suggest you read that section of the manual. Basically, you have to have the truck powered on, and turn off the 30 minute timer, to use the generator capability. You've got plenty of power for people, as long as you have the proper gauge and length of extension cords.

dcp9142

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning, Mach-E. Previous Tesla S, X, Volt
I’d just use my phone hotspot rather than pay extra for one in the truck. i never could figure out the business case for automotive hotspots unless for people who don’t have Android or iOS phones.

73 DE KK6RZ
Sponsored