• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Question for Stubby Antenna People

ericjtsang

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat SR, LC500
Thinking about replacing that long antenna, but I find the additional use for clearance comforting. This is also my first truck, so is height clearance really an issue in many places?

If you have replaced it, do you ever get nervous going into a new parking garage?
Sponsored

HaroldCal

First Name
Harold
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2x F150L MY2023 (1 Plat, 1 Lariat)
Occupation
IT
I drove my 05 F350 as my daily driver for many years. It was taller than these trucks, at almost 7'. I made it a point to never go into a garage lower than 7.5'. Because you can't trust the height markings in garages. Sure, it might have been 7' 1" when it was built, but then the plumbing and electrical people came through years later and put a sprinkler pipe or conduit in and now it is 3" lower than before, but no one bothered to update the signs.

There is merit to having the antenna as an indicator, but it's not critical. Especially if you have the sunroof (so you can stick your hand out and physically touch things), and are really conscious of it. If anyone other than me was driving it (say, oh, a significant other that is far less aware of such things), then I would definitely want them to have the early warning indicator.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Been driving my 2013 F-150 into my garage for years with an antenna that's a bit too tall. Not a concern.

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
It is an interesting trade-off. You lose the early warning of rubbing your antenna, but you don't rub your antenna anymore.

I picked the latter. I can't handle watching the stock antenna catch the wind on the highway. And you have to be extra cautious driving such a ridiculously large vehicle in garages anyway.

Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
I tried, but AM radio dropped which was a deal breaker.

Put the original antenna back on.

Jim Lewis

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord 2017; 2023 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Has anyone had trouble with folks swiping replacement antennas, or do you all Locktite them on?

The 13-inch Rydonair is pretty highly reviewed by users. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BDKNQWM/ One reviewer claims its signal reception capability is within a few dB of the stock antenna. But the OEM advises removing the Rydonair antenna to go through a car wash, and a number of users who didn't reported that their antennas eventually broke off in a car wash. So, kinda hard to remove if you use Locktite as a theft deterrent.

Rancheroni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford Bronco 4D
I bought the builtright stubby antenna. Noticed more static on FM. My 2023 didn't come with AM.

My work garage is 7 feet and I think I have a couple of inches clearance, maybe 3". Never really got out and checked.

Might put the original antenna back on. I'd say it's only worth the money if you really like the stubby look. Although it does make the lightning appear less old school. I think the stubby look matches the lightnings overall appearance more than the stock one.

I didn't put locktite because I'm still deciding. Either way hand tightening it should be enough.

Priccijr

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lariat Iced Blue

Sponsored

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
Got the same one. Works great. No loctite on mine. I check it once in a while to make sure it’s tight in two months it hasn’t been loose yet.
7” or 8” ? I am looking to order asap.
thanks

DiveMan911

First Name
R.J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'06 Acura TL, '13 Ford Escape
I also went with a near complete delete. I do not use any local terrestrial radio (AM or FM). I don’t like the look of the long whip antenna. While I can appreciate the parking garage “warning”, I feel there are other effective strategies to mitigate damage to the truck.

Here’s what I got. I’ve been happy.
CravenSpeed Untenna Compatible... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YVMZ2QC?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

ivan256

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER
Do you have a lightning EV you installed the smaller antenna on? I hate the huge one it has
FM reception is fine in the Lightning with the stubby antenna. Haven't really tried AM. Just make sure you don't get one of the "billet" ones. Those won't work for anything but decoration. You want the antenna to be about the same length as the original, but coiled up short instead of stretched out long. Ford should have integrated the antenna into the windshield and been done with it. It's in the way when you're clearing snow off the truck even when it's stubby.
Sponsored