• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Range with Lariat Wheels/Tires on a Platinum?

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Would it then be rated at 320 miles on a 100% charge?
Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
Other than the sound system, seats and 22" wheels the Platinum is just a Lariat ER. So if you put the 20" wheels from a Lariat on the Platinum, you could reasonably expect the range estimates to be the same as the Lariat. The differences in the other things are negligible and interior to the cab.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I've done this. If there's a range difference I didn't see it. That said, a 6% difference would be pretty hard to detect.

The Platinum weighs about 300 lbs more than the Lariat. The wheels don't account for close to 300 lbs but it is unsprung weight so any difference would be significant...in theory. I can't tell a difference in ride quality. I also haven't weighed the wheels but my back can confirm they are both HEAVY!

If I recall correctly, there is an extra cooling loop in the Platinum. Someone else might be able to confirm this. If that's the case it probably explains the difference in EPA range.

I don't suggest changing wheels for range as you probably won't notice a difference. I bought a set of Lariat take-offs mostly because I like them and they cost only slightly more than a new set of tires. I was hoping range would improve but I'm not convinced. Two sets of tires makes rotations a cinch though... except for that "HEAVY" thing I mentioned above.😁

Edit: I've been thinking about this more. The extra "cooling loop" I referenced above isn't exactly right. The Max Tow Package has an extra compressor for cooling and is standard on the Platinum. The Lariat has once compressor standard and an optional second compressor if you select the Max Tow Package.

I'm guessing this is the biggest factor in the difference between Lariat and Platinum range. Whereas, adding the weight of a second compressor system (or fancy seats, or more speakers) would slightly increase the power required to accelerate and even more slightly add to rolling resistance, a compressor demands energy to run directly, energy that can't be used to power the drive motors.

I think @Monkey is more or less right except I think a Lariat with Max Tow has a range closer to a Platinum regardless of wheels due to the extra compressor.

One more point on range. It's a hypothetical number based on some formula EPA came up with and, in my opinion, is nearly worthless because it's not speed compensated. The highway range of a Lightning is not 300 or 320 miles. It's something less than that depending speed though the air and whether the heater is running. I don't care if I can go 300 miles driving around town because when I want to go 300 miles I'll be on the highway doing 77 mph.

Last edited:

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Would it then be rated at 320 miles on a 100% charge?
The rating won't change no matter what you do.

The wheel and tire combination matter. Some tires are more energy efficient as far as rolling resistance. An AT tire gets worse mileage due to tread differences and rolling resistance. Wheels are designed to be more aerodynamic.

In most cases, people can prove or disprove this, because you can't compare in a controlled environment. Same road, same air resistance, pavement temperature, same exact speed, same battery speed...

OP
OP

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
I changed my platinum wheels and I was able to extend my range. I made a video about it.
Interesting!

I take it you verified the wheels and tires will support the increased weight?

This also verifies that 300 or 320 miles of range on the highway at a tolerable speed is a non starter.

Sponsored

Monkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lightning, Tesla Model Y, and more...
Occupation
Semi-retired electrical/computer/software engineer
...Yes I forgot to address the Max Tow option in my post above. Platinum is the same as the Lariat ER with Max Tow. Same truck. Difference in weight between the two is about 18 lbs (after compensating for the wheels). Presumably the difference in seating accounting for nearly all. And Ford never made adjustments to weight specs of the trucks after deleting scales, Platinum seating components, etc..

This also verifies that 300 or 320 miles of range on the highway at a tolerable speed is a non starter.
You're not going to get 300+ miles at highway speeds > 70MPH no matter what you do. Maybe install a rocket booster. Aerodynamics are your enemy and drag increases exponentially with speed. Swapping out those 22" Platinum wheels for the Lariat wheels should buy you a couple % improvement. That's it.

People can laugh all they want at the looks of the CyberTruck, but it has the lowest drag coefficient of anything out there that's truck-sized and will probably do 450+ real-world miles with a smaller pack than that >210kWh monster GM is putting in their trucks.

Last edited:

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
I've done this. If there's a range difference I didn't see it. That said, a 6% difference would be pretty hard to detect.

The Platinum weighs about 300 lbs more than the Lariat. The wheels don't account for close to 300 lbs but it is unsprung weight so any difference would be significant...in theory. I can't tell a difference in ride quality. I also haven't weighed the wheels but my back can confirm they are both HEAVY!

If I recall correctly, there is an extra cooling loop in the Platinum. Someone else might be able to confirm this. If that's the case it probably explains the difference in EPA range.

I don't suggest changing wheels for range as you probably won't notice a difference. I bought a set of Lariat take-offs mostly because I like them and they cost only slightly more than a new set of tires. I was hoping range would improve but I'm not convinced. Two sets of tires makes rotations a cinch though... except for that "HEAVY" thing I mentioned above.😁

Edit: I've been thinking about this more. The extra "cooling loop" I referenced above isn't exactly right. The Max Tow Package has an extra compressor for cooling and is standard on the Platinum. The Lariat has once compressor standard and an optional second compressor if you select the Max Tow Package.

I'm guessing this is the biggest factor in the difference between Lariat and Platinum range. Whereas, adding the weight of a second compressor system (or fancy seats, or more speakers) would slightly increase the power required to accelerate and even more slightly add to rolling resistance, a compressor demands energy to run directly, energy that can't be used to power the drive motors.

I think @Monkey is more or less right except I think a Lariat with Max Tow has a range closer to a Platinum regardless of wheels due to the extra compressor.

One more point on range. It's a hypothetical number based on some formula EPA came up with and, in my opinion, is nearly worthless because it's not speed compensated. The highway range of a Lightning is not 300 or 320 miles. It's something less than that depending speed though the air and whether the heater is running. I don't care if I can go 300 miles driving around town because when I want to go 300 miles I'll be on the highway doing 77 mph.
Other than the sound system, seats and 22" wheels the Platinum is just a Lariat ER. So if you put the 20" wheels from a Lariat on the Platinum, you could reasonably expect the range estimates to be the same as the Lariat. The differences in the other things are negligible and interior to the cab.
My 2023 xlt has the max Tow Package and my mileage is awesome 2.5 -2.7 . We went 276 miles and had 10 to go when we stopped. This is a standard range battery.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
My 2023 xlt has the max Tow Package and my mileage is awesome 2.5 -2.7 . We went 276 miles and had 10 to go when we stopped. This is a standard range battery.
While 2.5+ is impressive under any circumstance a little context would help others determine how replicable it is. For instance, the lifetime mpkwh for my truck is 2.0. It's a Platinum, I live in the north, my drive to work is mostly highway, and for the most part I don't worry about efficiency and drive like it. I'm guessing my driving experience is very different than yours.

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
While 2.5+ is impressive under any circumstance a little context would help others determine how replicable it is. For instance, the lifetime mpkwh for my truck is 2.0. It's a Platinum, I live in the north, my drive to work is mostly highway, and for the most part I don't worry about efficiency and drive like it. I'm guessing my driving experience is very different than yours.
I live in the foothills of northern California. Most of my driving is on 2 lane highways over alot of small mountain ranges mostly 55-65 mph. I make alot of trips over 2 mountain ranges with my 10' open trailer to pick up solar systems and I get my best range on that trip it usually averages 3.2 to 3.4 miles per kw. I was spending on average $1000 per month on gas with my 2020 f150 so having the lightning is awesome.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I live in the foothills of northern California. Most of my driving is on 2 lane highways over alot of small mountain ranges mostly 55-65 mph. I make alot of trips over 2 mountain ranges with my 10' open trailer to pick up solar systems and I get my best range on that trip it usually averages 3.2 to 3.4 miles per kw. I was spending on average $1000 per month on gas with my 2020 f150 so having the lightning is awesome.
You must have max regen in every descent and a tailwind on every climb!🤣

Sponsored

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
That's fantastic. It appears you are maximizing efficiency to the point where your truck will pay for itself. My truck is a big toy.😄
Yes it is my work truck. I have been driving f150s for 40 years this one is buy far the most capable . What are you getting for range?

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Yes it is my work truck. I have been driving f150s for 40 years this one is buy far the most capable . What are you getting for range?
2.0 over the life of the truck. About 1.5 in the winter and 2.2-2.3ish the rest of the year.

I figure worst case scenario I pay about half for electricity than what I paid for gas in the 2010 F150 the Lightning replaced. Which is great except as much as I drive it will pay for itself in a short 53 years. It's a big toy.

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
2.0 over the life of the truck. About 1.5 in the winter and 2.2-2.3ish the rest of the year.

I figure worst case scenario I pay about half for electricity than what I paid for gas in the 2010 F150 the Lightning replaced. Which is great except as much as I drive it will pay for itself in a short 53 years. It's a big toy.
That's not bad. Put some light weight wheels and tires on it.
Sponsored