• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Registered weight vs GVWR

wilmerfjohnson

First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT SR,2021 Bronco, 2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner
Got my permanent registration today. The dealer registered it for 7000#, not the 8250# GVWR. I'm interested to know what others have for their registered max weight. The truck weighs 6050#. It has 5 seats, and Pennsylvania calculates each passenger as weighing 150#, regardless of what they actually weigh or whether they are in the truck or not. That puts my curb weight at 6800#. Registered at 7000#, that gives me 200 pounds of 'stuff' to haul legally. "Stuff" includes the bedliner, mud flaps, Weathertech floor mats, and seat covers that I added, and the L1 charge cord that stays in the truck. (PA curb weight also includes the max fuel load, but that's irrelevant for the Lightning.)

Not looking for an "It'll be fine" answer, I'm looking to stay legal in case I am ever involved in a collision and authorities or insurance companies calculate the weight vs registration.
Sponsored

Joneii

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla MY
My Lightning is registered in PA with a 6361 lbs unladen weight and a 8550 lbs GVWR. I remember the notary asking me what weight I wanted to use. And I went for the full GVWR because we tow a 25’ RV and load the whole family, dand bikes or skis in the truck.

Your dealer probably thought they were doing you a favor as the registration fee almost doubles above 7000 lbs in PA. The truck can be legally registered below the GVWR, but it can’t be legally driven above the registered weight. So if you load it beyond 7000 lbs (and you almost certainly will) then you are correct that you could be fined. I think you can make a correction to the registration, but it’s probably best to check with your local DMV to find out how.