• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

wautard1

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat
I tow a pontoon boat. Previous truck was a 2022 Ram 1500 Limited (air suspension)

Here are my thoughts on a quick comparison.

Power: Lightning is amazing in this regard. Not only the power but the application of it. It was much easier to make small adjustments when not dealing with a transmission. Example, I have to backup a sloped and curved driveway to park my pontoon. The Ram would need a lot of input to push it up. The Lightning, almost none.

One Pedal: Pros and cons here. Love it on the road. Works just like if there wasn’t a trailer attached. Don’t like it when launching the boat. Id like to roll more. I just have to remember to turn it off when launching.

Suspension: this is where the lightning is behind the Ram. My Ram had the air ride. Made the ride with a trailer very nice, not bouncy, very stable. Also, when loading the trailer it made it easier because I could lower the truck for connecting the hitch. With the Lightning the ride was harsher and bouncier. Never felt like it was “bad” just not as good.

Range: I don’t have any thoughts here. The launch I used was about 20 minutes away in cityish driving.

Overall, I was impressed with the Lightning. Very happy with the results.
Sponsored

gregoryhcain

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pickup
Occupation
Physician
I just completed my first destination towing trip with my Lightning. Here are my results. Towed my 3000 lb boat motor trailer 12 gal fuel and completely full bed of vacation and water sports gear and frunk full of luggage. 529 mi round trip back and forth across the Cascade mountain range in Washington State. Averaged 1.6-1.7 mi/kWh when towing. Kept records of all charging bills and included factoring in the 100% head start from home charging. All tolled I spent 107 dollars on electricity including home level 2, road level 3 and destination level 2. Gasoline here is $5 a gallon, so that calculates to 24mpg equivalent. Only bad charging experience was Electrify America waiting for a charger that worked. Three Level 3 charges at EVCS were quick and flawless. All level 2’s were fast and went great, and one at Rocky Reach Dam Visitor Center (the hydroelectric dam) was free and quite quick for level 2. I guess if they “make the electrons” they can give them away 😂
The Lightning pulls my boat as if it is a feather; you have to look back to believe it is still back there.
Yes, you have to plan your charging stops and figure out alternates but this is a truck for drivers who enjoy thinking. In my 40 year career in medicine I planed and performed many complex treatments and procedures. I love thinking. The Lightning keeps my aging brain working better than crossword puzzles or Sudoku ever could. It gives me the opportunity to plan and execute a plan and teach my kids and grandkids about thinking ahead to “cover all the bases”. It’s fun to think and driving an EV while towing on a destination trip makes you think; that is not a bad thing.
Bottom Line, if you are not mentally lazy, the Lightning is an awesome towing vehicle

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
right, it's for us 'thinkers' who don't mind the brain 'Calisthenics'' required to make sure your calculations work out for where to stop to charge, etc... it's not for the faint of heart, and most folks who just want to 'drive' will probably find EVs to be just too worrisome, especially when towing.

on our recent trip to the beach, towing our 3,000lb camper, I had it electrified the whole way, keeping the fridge cold, the fans blowing, and having the air conditioner while parked at the beach for the day didn't hurt, either... it just makes things MUCH more comfortable to be able to stop anywhere, anytime, without 'having' to be at a campground.

MRButtler

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat Lightning
I All level 2’s were fast and went great, and one at Rocky Reach Dam Visitor Center (the hydroelectric dam) was free and quite quick for level 2. I guess if they “make the electrons” they can give them away 😂
I feel this way about wind turbines. They're everywhere - put a charging station at the bottom!

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Yes, you have to plan your charging stops and figure out alternates but this is a truck for drivers who enjoy thinking. In my 40 year career in medicine I planed and performed many complex treatments and procedures. I love thinking. The Lightning keeps my aging brain working better than crossword puzzles or Sudoku ever could. It gives me the opportunity to plan and execute a plan and teach my kids and grandkids about thinking ahead to “cover all the bases”. It’s fun to think and driving an EV while towing on a destination trip makes you think; that is not a bad thing.
Bottom Line, if you are not mentally lazy, the Lightning is an awesome towing vehicle

Amen!!

Sponsored

Mort

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mitsubishi PHEV, Tesla Model 3, F150 Lightning XLT
Occupation
Marine electrical propulsion engineer
I just completed my first destination towing trip with my Lightning. Here are my results. Towed my 3000 lb boat motor trailer 12 gal fuel and completely full bed of vacation and water sports gear and frunk full of luggage. 529 mi round trip back and forth across the Cascade mountain range in Washington State. Averaged 1.6-1.7 mi/kWh when towing. Kept records of all charging bills and included factoring in the 100% head start from home charging. All tolled I spent 107 dollars on electricity including home level 2, road level 3 and destination level 2. Gasoline here is $5 a gallon, so that calculates to 24mpg equivalent. Only bad charging experience was Electrify America waiting for a charger that worked. Three Level 3 charges at EVCS were quick and flawless. All level 2’s were fast and went great, and one at Rocky Reach Dam Visitor Center (the hydroelectric dam) was free and quite quick for level 2. I guess if they “make the electrons” they can give them away 😂
The Lightning pulls my boat as if it is a feather; you have to look back to believe it is still back there.

Thank you so much for this summery, particularly the thinking part. Bottom line, it adds entertainment to the monotony of driving long distance. It’s so much better then the alternative. I have traveled over 20000 miles on the electric carpet ride!
cheers,

gregoryhcain

First Name
Gregory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Pickup
Occupation
Physician
My brother in law is a retired airline pilot, private pilot and former Air Force pilot. I enjoy boating, cruising Puget Sound. The similarities are there. We talk and compare our preparations, weather, wind, fuel stops, alternate landing strips, safe harbors. You plan, calculate your fuel, know your fueling stops and your alternates, and are prepared for worst case scenarios. You prepare for your flight/voyage because not doing so can make for your worst day in the air or on the water.. That thinking carries over to EV’s albeit with less disastrous consequences if you miscalculate.
Sponsored