• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Removing Rear Under Seat Storage Divider?

cdubculvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
You can't pull them out because they hit the top of the battery pack before they are out of the floor. I suppose you could cut them off from inside to make them shorter then unscrew them, but you'd never get new ones in again.
So to be clear, is there access to remove the bolts if I were to cut them short enough?
Sponsored

cdubculvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
Well scratch that. Good news is looks like the underseat storage is now an option on the 2023 XLT so I can avoid it if I want. Bad news is I'm probably not going to get one since this is now a 60k truck lol. Later Ford!

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Well scratch that. Good news is looks like the underseat storage is now an option on the 2023 XLT so I can avoid it if I want. Bad news is I'm probably not going to get one since this is now a 60k truck lol. Later Ford!
I feel for you. But the really bad news that in a few years youā€™ll think 60 large is a bargain.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
I just thought I would give a little information in case somebody wanted to remove the "studs" for the under seat lockable storage. They are not just "studs". They are bolts that are driven in from under the body that have a large washer attached to them, and they also hold up some underbody insulation.

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I just thought I would give a little information in case somebody wanted to remove the "studs" for the under seat lockable storage. They are not just "studs". They are bolts that are driven in from under the body that have a large washer attached to them, and they also hold up some underbody insulation.
thanks for the intel

maybe you could let @Ford Motor Company know that this was a silly design choice!

curious if itā€™s the same on the ā€˜22 ICE vehicles as well, or is the battery pack location a reason for this silly design choice?

At very least, make this ā€œstorageā€ an option on higher trims - and even better to just fix the damn design so that people can pop it in and out as needed

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
curious if itā€™s the same on the ā€˜22 ICE vehicles as well, or is the battery pack location a reason for this silly design choice?
The ICE and BEV share the same cab. Whether or not it is holding up any insulation, they will be the same bolts driven in from the bottom of the cab.

I'm sorry you don't like the lockable storage. It's one of my favorite features.

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Just chiming in to say that I am not looking forward to having the underseat storage on my upcoming Lariat. Would much rather have had the plain floor, but given the challenges in removing it I will live with it.

With my current truck, I use that flat floor all of the time - especially for groceries since my bed is usually full. We buy a lot of groceries and laundry baskets fit great back there to hold them (from BJs wholesale, so no bags). From the looks of it, the storage, even folded own, will make things rock and bounce around much more.

Hopefully with the Frunk, I won't need to do that as much, but not sure the Frunk will be big enough.

Thankfully it looks like they made it an option for 2023.

FlasherZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning, Tesla Model X, F250 SD diesel 6.0
I like the storage option and don't think I lose much by having it folded down vs. having it not exist. That said, so far I have never found it necessary to fold it down because that's where I store my hitch ball insert, tarp straps and bungee cords, mesh and trash bags, safety triangles, etc. and I'd have to remove all that stuff.

We've used the under-seat storage for family when traveling, but in my case that's in the Tesla.

Having it as an option makes a lot of sense, though, for those who don't use it in that way.

cdubculvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
Thanks for the info. So would it be possible to thread a slim nut on, cut them flush with the nut and put carpet down for a relatively flush floor?

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
especially for groceries since my bed is usually full.
That's one of the uses I love about it. I fold up the seats and put grocery bags and other items in the storage to prevent them from rolling around. Great for 2 liter bottles.

Sponsored

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed
I'm sorry you don't like the lockable storage. It's one of my favorite features.
its not that I donā€™t like it! Itā€™s just that it makes sense for people to be able to fully install/remove it, given how the seats historically fold up to provide a large storage area with a flat floor.

min my prior F-150, that option was key for moving certain furniture, dogs (and kennels), etc.

in my Lightning, itā€™s moot because I canā€™t access the storage whatsoever: I now have two carseats installed (and a third on the way).

which is another example of a use case where it would be helpful to be able to completely remove that storage: presently, I canā€™t access that space at all.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the info. So would it be possible to thread a slim nut on, cut them flush with the nut and put carpet down for a relatively flush floor?
I don't think you would need to thread a nut on. You could just push the carpet down as much as possible and cut them off. You might have some of the stud left but it shouldn't protrude too much.

cdubculvy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Ridgeline
This thread has gotten a little "i like the storage bin.. i don't like the storage bin". Not the point.

My point is that everyone has different needs/wants, of course. A completely flat floor is a nice feature for many people. Not to mention, it's not an easy thing to design and produce. My ridgeline backseats require a folding support bar under the seats to support the weight, but Ford made the seat mechanism strong enough just to cantilever, leaving room for a flat floor. I can workaround the Ridgeline floor track by popping the plastic trim off the floor and removing the seat support bar brackets.

It is quite silly to me that they then included this storage bin with pretty much every trim (that you can actually buy) and made it as hard as possible to remove it, almost eliminating even the option for the flat floor feature.

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Here is a zoomed in screenshot of a picture I took of my truck while it was being built. You can see that there are threaded "nuts" attached to the floor of the cab. The bolts will not fall out of you just trim them off.

Ford F-150 Lightning Removing Rear Under Seat Storage Divider? Screenshot_20220908-105226_Gallery

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
That's one of the uses I love about it. I fold up the seats and put grocery bags and other items in the storage to prevent them from rolling around. Great for 2 liter bottles.
I suspect that I buy way more groceries than you do. 4 adults, 2 teens, 2 dogs, and a cat in the household. A typical weekly BJs run is ~$400 +/- and fills 3-4 large laundry baskets, several bags, and also includes a few cases of water / diet soda + any large pet food/litter bags needed. Then I have to go spend another $100 at Hannaford for the things BJs doesn't carry.

Now way that under seat bin would come close to holding it.
Sponsored