• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Ok, I did some more research, and think I answered my own question. I ordered one of these 30 to 50 amp dog bones. I think that’s what I need to run both AC units off the trucks 30 amp bed connection
Without a link to dog bones you are using, it's hard to help.

Assume you are saying your 2nd A/C unit can be plugged/powered separately from the 1st A/C unit (i.e they are not both powered from the single power cord for the trailer/RV/toy hauler).

For RV usage, your are using 120V. From the 30A/240V 4 pin connector you can get 30A/120V (3.6KW) from each side (A and B).

So if you want to power the 2nd A/C unit you need to use the "other" 30A/120V side.

You do this by getting a connector (dog bone) that brings out both sides from the truck connector (i.e. the dog bone is a splitter that ends in two separate plugs).
Sponsored

Sparkyboy

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 F150
Occupation
Electrician
Without a link to dog bones you are using, it's hard to help.

Assume you are saying your 2nd A/C unit can be plugged/powered separately from the 1st A/C unit (i.e they are not both powered from the single power cord for the trailer/RV/toy hauler).

For RV usage, your are using 120V. From the 30A/240V 4 pin connector you can get 30A/120V (3.6KW) from each side (A and B).

So if you want to power the 2nd A/C unit you need to use the "other" 30A/120V side.

You do this by getting a connector (dog bone) that brings out both sides from the truck connector (i.e. the dog bone is a splitter that ends in two separate plugs).
You need to be careful with this to avoid damaging your trailer or truck. Most camp trailers are 120 volt only. Meaning there is only one hot leg in the breaker panel of the trailer, with a difference of 120 volts between hot and neutral/ground. The 7.2kW outlet in your truck is 240 volt, meaning it has 2 hot legs, with a difference of 240 volts between them, one neutral and one ground. I believe the adapter you are using is only using one of the hot legs from the truck outlet, that's why there are 4 male blades and only 3 female slots. This is why you are only seeing circuit B being used.

I don't know if I am explaining that very well, but if you were to somehow put the power from both truck circuits onto the single hot leg of your trailer at the same time you would create a direct short at 240 volts. Best case scenario: breaker in your truck trips, worst case scenario: Boom and/or fire.

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
You need to be careful with this to avoid damaging your trailer or truck. Most camp trailers are 120 volt only. Meaning there is only one hot leg in the breaker panel of the trailer, with a difference of 120 volts between hot and neutral/ground. The 7.2kW outlet in your truck is 240 volt, meaning it has 2 hot legs, with a difference of 240 volts between them, one neutral and one ground. I believe the adapter you are using is only using one of the hot legs from the truck outlet, that's why there are 4 male blades and only 3 female slots. This is why you are only seeing circuit B being used.

I don't know if I am explaining that very well, but if you were to somehow put the power from both truck circuits onto the single hot leg of your trailer at the same time you would create a direct short at 240 volts. Best case scenario: breaker in your truck trips, worst case scenario: Boom and/or fire.
Sparkyboy, not clear if you were responding to me (you have my post quoted) or where replying to OP.

What I was recommending for the ONLY way a 120V system can use the full 7.2KW available from PowerPro is you need to be driving 2 DIFFERENT 120V circuits. There are 2 ways to drive the 2 separate 120V 30A power sides. One is a 4 pin (BUT 120V, NOT 240V) that has 2 120V legs. The other is with a dogbone splitter you will have two 120V plugs each delivering up to 30A (i.e. up to 3.6KW).

For most RVs with 2 A/C units, they are using a 4 pin 120V 50A connection. This is actually two seperate 120V 50A circuits inside the RV. One circuit will have one A/C and some other stuff ( a few of these: frig, microwave, water heater, AC outlets) and the other circuit will have the other A/C and the other stuff not on the first circuit.
Sponsored