• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Request: A concise answer to how to connect Pro Power to a generator inlet

Dinozero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning ER Lariat
I agree that it appears that more than few electricians think it's "safe" to disconnect the ground but it's still a code violation. I wonder if these electricians would keep the same opinion if they are responsible for any negative consequences due to the code violation.
I do agree with the general point that youā€™re making. My only two cents is that you have to sometimes think deeply about code.

There is code to prevent injury or accidents and death.

There are codes that exist as a precaution to minor risk.

And thereā€™s also bureaucratic things. Something is simply because it has not been considered a different method.

I understand everybody makes some decision analysis themselves.

Most of us are living in homes that are built against modern code, but we are grandfathered in because of the date of our construction.

My point is, Even though my dryer would be considered against code, if a new person built it this way, itā€™s clearly considered safe for my family, and there is no advice out there that suggest I should run the wire to my dryer and change my plug.

I actually brought that up, purely as a coincidence, but itā€™s funny that I did mention that.

Since my house was built in the 90s, my dryer plug and my oven plug are three wire meaning that they are missing a ground, is that not correct?

In the 90s that was considered code and again when my house was being remodeled, I even checked, whether or not those plugs should be changed and I was told there is no safety reason to worry about changing them, and there is no requirement to because of the date my house was built.
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
This thread has drifted into the territory these things always do; people offering advice about things they are not experts on.

My Dad installed a hillbilly generator system using whatever he had laying around. It "works great" as long as you follow his checklist which written on the inside of the panel...I mean the checklist is pretty good but to safely setup a generator he really needs to explain what he did...oh, and it helps to have a working knowledge of residential electrical systems. Works great!

Now that he's passed away I'm the only human alive that understands how it works. If I don't fix it before my Mom's house changes hands it will be someone else's problem. Maybe a lineman's.ā˜¹

I recently hooked up an old PA system I inherited from my uncle. When I touched any metal part of the amp or microphone while touching the stings of my guitar - which was plugged into another amp - I was electrocuted. For some reason, the old PA amp didn't have an equipment bond and the stray voltage found it's way to the guitar amp... through me.šŸ˜¬ A three pronged plug fixed it. Someone can correct me but I think they system would have tripped the Lightning GFCI system had it been hooked up.

My point, if it's not clear, is that there are unintended consequences when dealing with electricity. Offering advice to blatantly disregard code could have real consequences. I suggest against not offering advice violating code.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
All I can say is, as a licensed electrical engineer, I know exactly what I did to my system and I know that it is safe, but I like to join these threads with some popcorn.
You're exactly the credential holder I want to hear from though. Please put down the popcorn and share what you did to your system, and if it goes against standards in some way, why you know it to still be safe.

Sponsored

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
In the 90s that was considered code and again when my house was being remodeled, I even checked, whether or not those plugs should be changed and I was told there is no safety reason to worry about changing them, and there is no requirement to because of the date my house was built.
The age of the house does not grandfather you in. Yes, you don't have to bring it up to code. But you will if any of your remodel moves the circuit in any way. It's the same with GFCI in damp/wet locations, and Arc Fault requirements.

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
All I can say is, as a licensed electrical engineer, I know exactly what I did to my system and I know that it is safe
That's understandable for your own system. However, would you violate code on someone else's (e.g. a paying customer) system if you are liable even though you think it's safe?

Last edited:

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
That's understandable for your own system. However, would you violate code on someone else's (e.g. a paying customer) system if you are liable even though you think it's safe?
I would never advise someone to break the law, but not meeting code does not inherently make something unsafe. I would argue that using this truck in that manner is safer than someone using a portable generator without a ground rod, which is the majority of people using portable generators.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
I never understood how the truck is grounded with 4 rubber tires. Where does stray current go?

Reactions: GDN

Sponsored

Kev12345

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ram 1500
While everyone who has posted is trying to provide good & safe info, please understand this is now obsolete information.

the new meter collars with generator input provide the functionality you want.

IMG_4541.jpeg

IMG_4540.jpeg

IMG_4539.jpeg

IMG_4538.jpeg

IMG_4537.jpeg

IMG_4542.jpeg
fyi - although these are amazingly convenient, they're actually banned in certain jurisdictions due to being a solid state transfer switch. if they ever failed closed they'd pose a pretty significant safety hazard. these collars need to be updated with a heavy duty manual switch.

Mmiketa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
fyi - although these are amazingly convenient, they're actually banned in certain jurisdictions due to being a solid state transfer switch. if they ever failed closed they'd pose a pretty significant safety hazard. these collars need to be updated with a heavy duty manual switch.
These are UL1008M approved. If there was a significant safety hazard, that testing would have shown it.

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
I never understood how the truck is grounded with 4 rubber tires. Where does stray current go?
They are not. There's a conversation on another thread about this topic. The Cliff's Notes version is a separately derived system is supposed to be grounded per code. If you have a manual transfer switch setup you have a separately derived system.

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
They are not. There's a conversation on another thread about this topic. The Cliff's Notes version is a separately derived system is supposed to be grounded per code. If you have a manual transfer switch setup you have a separately derived system.
Thanks

v2h8484

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I would never advise someone to break the law, but not meeting code does not inherently make something unsafe. I would argue that using this truck in that manner is safer than someone using a portable generator without a ground rod, which is the majority of people using portable generators.
Thanks for the clarification. BTW, most portable generators don't work as you described as they have floating neutral and when connected to house wiring via an interlock or transfer switch it's perfectly code compliant.
Sponsored