• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

RetraxPro XR Owners

PaulO

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150
I'm waiting for my 2022 Lariat Powerboost 5.5 bed to come in and I'm ordering a few things. Would someone be able to tell me how many inches between the closed RetraxPro XR cover and the highest part of the bed? I want to make sure I can fit some items when the cover is closed. Also I want to clarify that the automatic opening and closing feature still works with the bed cover closed. Thank you in advance.
Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
Yes power tailgate opens and shuts automatically just fine with Retrax Pro XR.

The distance from bed floor to the majority of the cover is 21". But at the very end of the cover on each side is the latching mechanism that sticks down another 1/2". So on each side at the end of the cover it's about 20.5".

jj4567

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150
How much space does the canister take up?

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
8” on the canister.
I ordered the rebranded Factory installed one. It was roughly the same cost.
It is substantially dryer than the one I had on my 2013 FX4

GlassSlinger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Sales Director
@Hullguy - any tips on making the retrax pro water tight-ish? Currently i get a small puddle by the tail gate. And also some drips on the side near the wheel well...

Sponsored

BLoflin

First Name
Brooks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 KR PB 6.5'
Occupation
retired
@Hullguy - any tips on making the retrax pro water tight-ish? Currently i get a small puddle by the tail gate. And also some drips on the side near the wheel well...
Haven't had mine in a rain storm yet, but some thoughts.

Puddle near tailgate, not sure where you mean exactly, but you might be amazed how much "daylight" there is around the sides of the tailgate to the sides of the truck. Nothing to do with the tonneau cover. Could be from there. Lots of different Tailgate Seals on Amazon you can apply (stick on, cut to fit, neoprene gaskets).

On the other drips, the install instructions from Retrax did say to try and get a 2% angle/lean when clamping down the side rails. That is leaning to the outside, for runoff vs puddling on the cover. I laugh at 2% (that's imperceptible to me), regardless I put enough lean (by having someone sit on the rail with legs hanging over the outside of the truck, while I clamped.

Hullguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 F150 FX 4
Occupation
Retired Union Electrician
Haven't had mine in a rain storm yet, but some thoughts.

Puddle near tailgate, not sure where you mean exactly, but you might be amazed how much "daylight" there is around the sides of the tailgate to the sides of the truck. Nothing to do with the tonneau cover. Could be from there. Lots of different Tailgate Seals on Amazon you can apply (stick on, cut to fit, neoprene gaskets).

On the other drips, the install instructions from Retrax did say to try and get a 2% angle/lean when clamping down the side rails. That is leaning to the outside, for runoff vs puddling on the cover. I laugh at 2% (that's imperceptible to me), regardless I put enough lean (by having someone sit on the rail with legs hanging over the outside of the truck, while I clamped.
The puddling is minimal. I put the gaskets on and they had little effect.

SteveP150

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Lariat Powerboost
Mine is the aftermarket one, not the Ford version. No issues with the power tailgate opening and closing. And it's been pretty water tight, though I haven't had it in any extended hard rain storms.
The gaps at the back are pretty much entirely bottom and sides of the tailgate, not at the top with the tonneau. They don't seem to let in too much water. On the other hand, if you're doing a lot of driving on dusty gravel roads, they let in A LOT of dust. I'm getting some gaskets for that reason, as opposed to water.
Sponsored