• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Installing a RetraxPro XR on lariat with a drop in bed liner

TBA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lariat ER+Tow Tech & Max Tow; Anti Matter Blue
This is my first time trying to install a tonneau cover. The question I have is, has anyone bought and installed this particular cover on Lightning with the factory installed drop in bed liner? From what I can tell the drain holes are not aligned between the liner and the actual truck bed. Also it appears that I will need to drill holes in the drain plugs for the tube.

Can someone comment or DM me with some instructions please.
Sponsored

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
I did a self install of the pro XR but with a spray in liner not a drop in. The drain tube holes in the bed had plastic oval plugs that I had to remove to route the drain tubes, but it did not require any drilling. The drain holes are much larger than the tubes, so even if they don't line up 100% between the truck and the liner you might have enough room to route them.

AdmiralYamo

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Accord V6 EX-L 2015
I saw you typically need to drill through that cover if you want to. I've seen a few videos where they remove the OEM ones and just order a second pair off amazon to make the drill hole and reinsert. Frankly it doesn't matter, it'll drain water.

jpepper07

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2013 Ford F150
I did a self install of the pro XR but with a spray in liner not a drop in. The drain tube holes in the bed had plastic oval plugs that I had to remove to route the drain tubes, but it did not require any drilling. The drain holes are much larger than the tubes, so even if they don't line up 100% between the truck and the liner you might have enough room to route them.
I had line x and they sprayed over the plugs. So I drilled through the plugs. The line x held up well to the drill bit but I made it through. Works well for me.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
they sprayed over my plugs also but they came out with a little prying from a flathead screwdriver. I just threw them under the back seat in case I ever want them again

RickKeen

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150L SR Pro
Occupation
sw engineering manager,
My truck had a dealer-installed Retrax roll top when I bought it (that I am pulling off and selling).
Link to the instructions:
https://retrax.com/images/InstallGuides/retraxretractablebedcoverinstallinstructionsrev73018.pdf

The drain hoses go through holes that were drilled through the bed front bulkhead plugs. .

Ford F-150 Lightning Installing a RetraxPro XR on lariat with a drop in bed liner 1671908466184

The instructions also show the need to cut away 3x10 inches or so of the rounded innner corner area of the bedliner so as allow the roll top housing to be tight in the front corners up against the front bulkhead.
Ford F-150 Lightning Installing a RetraxPro XR on lariat with a drop in bed liner 1671908415196

After removing the Retrax, I just installed a drop-in bedliner, and it fully covers the front bulkhead. To route the drain tubes, you would need to accurately add some holes to the bedliner to align to the plugs. Maybe drill through both at the same time?
Sponsored

Last edited: