• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Selling Your Order or Plan to Sell Lightning?

EVBill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Volt, 2018 GS Corvette, 22 Lightning bw 5/9
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I've participated in arbitrage in scarce consumer goods like Xbox and other home electronics in my younger years to pay for college, so I can't really judge someone who would decide to do this. All I can say is that it's fun until you're the 'victim' of one of these schemes.
So you are part of the reason I cannot get my hands on an Xbox Series X greater than a year after it launched? (Comment mostly in jest, but partly in frustration that by the time I can get a Series X at the MSRP the next generation will be ready for release).

Overall it is disheartening to see the level of greed where dealerships are expecting $20-30k ADM over and above the $10-15k premium of the Lightning over an equally equipped ICE powered truck. It is in line with one time many years back I was in negotiations with a dealership over a used Corvette where the salesman brought in his sales manager to assist in convincing me to purchase it. The sales manager made the comment along the lines of "you can afford the price we are asking", to which my response as I walked out was along the lines of "Yes, I can afford it but the vehicle is not worth it. I will immediately be upside down on it financially".
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
Capitalism is not meant for the consumer lmao
Arbitrage is a great way to fix market inefficiencies, although it tends to only benefit the most wealthy and enthusiastic consumers. Not saying that this should be practiced with the Lightning, though!

F150ROD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 IB Lariat Lightning/Miata ND2 Club
Occupation
U.S. Navy Retired
As long as its across the board with Ford I have no problem with it. But imagine a dealer charging ADM and then having you sign a piece of paper saying you're not going to sell your Lightning for 1 year.....

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
So you are part of the reason I cannot get my hands on an Xbox Series X greater than a year after it launched?
You can't blame me for the Series X scarcity, LOL. I may have flipped an Xbox 360 or two, though.

I mostly made some extra cash by cruising electronics clearance sections at big box stores and reselling on eBay. I had zero qualms about flipping clearance items because I was able to make a little money for myself while getting the item to the buyer at a decent price. I didn't enjoy flipping consoles and things like that because it felt scummy, so I hardly ever did it.

I've gotten a good-paying job and don't need to to that stuff anymore, thankfully.

Beans

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura RDX, Toyota 4 Runner
But how would they monitor private party resale? I guess they could investigate listings on Autotrader and every title change through public records, but that seems a bit extreme and expensive.
Yes, seems very hard for them to track once you own the vehicle. In any event, I'm not looking to make a profit, just to sell if I decide to move on to Rivian. If I sell at cost or below cost, the language shouldn’t allow them to stop a sale.

Last edited:

Sponsored

LightningLover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach E (E4X), F-150 Lightning (Lariat ER)

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
Yes, seems very hard for them to track once you own the vehicle. In any event, I'm not looking to make a profit, just to sell if I decide to move on to Rivian. If I sell at cost or below cost, the language should prevent them from stopping a sale.
Should be a right of first refusal, which is what I see in many large commercial transactions.

theblunden

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning XLT
So you are part of the reason I cannot get my hands on an Xbox Series X greater than a year after it launched? (Comment mostly in jest, but partly in frustration that by the time I can get a Series X at the MSRP the next generation will be ready for release).

Overall it is disheartening to see the level of greed where dealerships are expecting $20-30k ADM over and above the $10-15k premium of the Lightning over an equally equipped ICE powered truck. It is in line with one time many years back I was in negotiations with a dealership over a used Corvette where the salesman brought in his sales manager to assist in convincing me to purchase it. The sales manager made the comment along the lines of "you can afford the price we are asking", to which my response as I walked out was along the lines of "Yes, I can afford it but the vehicle is not worth it. I will immediately be upside down on it financially".
Series X and PlayStation 5's are much easier to get then you guys make it seem. Its way harder getting a Lightning ⚡

RavenYZF-R6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Series X and PlayStation 5's are much easier to get then you guys make it seem. Its way harder getting a Lightning ⚡
I recently paid a scalper for the Xbox Halo edition to replace my regular launch console. Then decided to recoup by selling some regular systems. Very easy to get. Used my iPhone and got 10 in the last month. Sold six and friends got the other four. I don’t feel bad at all people have had a year to get one and as I proved its not that difficult anymore.

Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
I have thought about it but if I can afford the truck, I'm keeping it for myself. If I can't afford it, then I also can't afford to have the money tied up while attempting to flip it.
As it has been mentioned, the pro market is less likely to be paying a premium than the lariat and higher market.
Also remember that the federal tax credit cannot be claimed if the vehicle was purchased for resale. So neither you, nor the purchaser will be able to claim the credit.

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender 90 S
Occupation
Student (Aviation Management and Operations) / Farm Manager
I was planning on flipping it 2-3 months after purchase, but will have to see according to that new document. It doesn't say the dealer has to include that language in the agreement or add a new document to the purchase, but Ford will definitely allow it, at least up to 1 year.

Royalist

First Name
Nabil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Land Rover Defender 90 S
Occupation
Student (Aviation Management and Operations) / Farm Manager
What's your source? This doesn't seem possible. Once I have the title, the truck is mine to do what I want with.
Ford GT had similar rules.

Sun Devil

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 Ford Explorer, 2014 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Lexus
I personally think it is a fair trade off if Ford is punishing dealers for marking up the vehicle. Dealers could reasonably complain they are losing out by not making the extra on the mark up if the consumer can do it themselves. It simply needs to be as Ford has announced, no mark ups for dealers and no flipping it for consumers IMO.
Sponsored