• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Silverado EV 2025 Estimation on Reservations

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
But you'd be giving up the frunk which is one of the best things about an electric truck. The CT tries to make up for the low nose by enclosing the entire bed in an electric tonneau cover.

I doubt Ford will change anything anytime soon, but I think they made a mistake in not offering a 200kWh option.

Now that I've had plenty of time to think about the Lightning pros/cons, I think Ford should have made it it's own trim level and all Lightnings would be that trim (like the Tremor for example). Ford should not sell any zero margin versions like the Pro/XLT but instead put 200kWh+ batteries into the high margin trucks. Lightning should have been a halo truck up front, and then they could bring the price down over time into the regular trim levels.

Instead, most of the press is, whether you agree or not, it's a great truck that can't do truck things like tow and this is the impression that most people are (accurately) getting. Would you buy a V8 ICE F-150 that had a 16 gallon gas tank that took 45 minutes to fill? Now add in 20%(?) range loss in cold weather and it gets even worse.

This is not a popular opinion here which is fine. I get that for most people it is a local commuter car, that they'll rarely or never tow, and rarely go on long trip, so it works for their needs.
I respectfully both agree and disagree with you.

I agree having a larger battery capacity option/trim level would have been a great option to satisfy those with more intense towing and/or long distance travel needs, and would be going into future model years.

I disagree with your suggestion that Ford should eliminate the smaller battery and lower trim levels. Why force the consumer to buy/pay for more capacity than they need? Many posts on this forum show that those with the lower trim an SR configurations meet their daily needs quite well.

Conventual thinking would lend to the idea that EVs have to match their ICE range capabilities in order to be successful. That assumes that the EV fueling infrastructure going forward is going to be the same as the current infrastructure that is supporting today’s ICE.

I don’t see it that way….I see EV ”fuel” in the future as a commodity that any business can provide/sell and its availability will be much more diffuse (I.e., not just on every corner offered by big oil). As such, I feel big range vehicles, while still necessary, will become more of a speciality….not the rule.

As such, the technology should be more focused on charge acceptance/speed efficiency while maintaining battery life, followed battery capacity/charge density…something I know will improve just like the speed of semiconductors have over the past 30 yrs……

But, then again, I could be wrong……….
Sponsored

lightspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
I respectfully both agree and disagree with you.

I agree having a larger battery capacity option/trim level would have been a great option to satisfy those with more intense towing and/or long distance travel needs, and would be going into future model years.

I disagree with your suggestion that Ford should eliminate the smaller battery and lower trim levels. Why force the consumer to buy/pay for more capacity than they need? Many posts on this forum show that those with the lower trim an SR configurations meet their daily needs quite well.

Conventual thinking would lend to the idea that EVs have to match their ICE range capabilities in order to be successful. That assumes that the EV fueling infrastructure going forward is going to be the same as the current infrastructure that is supporting today’s ICE.

I don’t see it that way….I see EV ”fuel” in the future as a commodity that any business can provide/sell and its availability will be much more diffuse (I.e., not just on every corner offered by big oil). As such, I feel big range vehicles, while still necessary, will become more of a speciality….not the rule.

As such, the technology should be more focused on charge acceptance/speed efficiency while maintaining battery life, followed battery capacity/charge density…something I know will improve just like the speed of semiconductors have over the past 30 yrs……

But, then again, I could be wrong……….
Yup, these are just my opinions, and yours make sense to me too. My reasons that Ford should not sell the low cost models are:

- They make no money on them
- Those batteries that are used on the zero margin trucks could instead be used in high margin trucks
- The image around EV trucks is hurt by lack of towing range, whether we think it's fair or not, the public's perception of EV trucks is affected by Hoovie's "towing disaster" and youtube video's of 100 mile towing range. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I think it's a marketing loss.
- I don't mean eliminate them forever, just until battery production catches up.

Firestop

First Name
Firestop
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 L Lariat ER; Honda Accord Touring
Yup, these are just my opinions, and yours make sense to me too. My reasons that Ford should not sell the low cost models are:

- They make no money on them
- Those batteries that are used on the zero margin trucks could instead be used in high margin trucks
- The image around EV trucks is hurt by lack of towing range, whether we think it's fair or not, the public's perception of EV trucks is affected by Hoovie's "towing disaster" and youtube video's of 100 mile towing range. Maybe that doesn't matter, but I think it's a marketing loss.
- I don't mean eliminate them forever, just until battery production catches up.
I respect your view and tend to agree with many of your points, especially that the low towing range does expose the flank of the whole EV truck movement to critics, something I think GM is attempting to mute with the marketing related to the Silverado’s EV charge/capacity specs.

The problem is the engineering to achieve them has put them 3rd in line to offer a product, compounded by cost increases that will have them facing additional impediments to accessing the broader truck market.

If Ford stays on their projected schedule, they will take what the learned during two years of real world use and roll it into their Gen2 model, probably a little over a year after GPm’s first offering. It will be interesting to see how these two companies balance out their offerings over the next 5 years……….

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Only $100k+ model available initially until late 2024 you will see lower priced trims.

What I don't understand is why the payload is only 1300lb. F150L is up to 2200lb+. 1300lb is not for a working truck.
I suspect the "Ultium" platform is a chonky boy. All of the GM EVs on that platform see to be coming in significantly heavier than the competition. That probably chewed up the payload.
Sponsored