• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Silverado EV EPA numbers out

davehu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lighting Lariat ER, Iconic Silver
Occupation
retired
"100 miles in 10 minutes" is a meaningless statistic. At what state of charge? It makes a huge difference, if the battery is nearly empty it will charge much faster than if it is half full. That is why the de facto standard of measurement seems to be 10% to 80% but of course a big battery truck wouldn't want you to know about that.
your right on but also, how many places have a working 350kw charger? and with a 200kw battery how long will it take to charge from 10-90 on a level 2 home charger?
Sponsored

JRT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning
I had a reservation, but that system seems worst then what Ford has. It took 6 months to get a refund. Everyone was confused and had no idea, my CT refund happened the same day I requested it. I'd love the range for sure, but not if it even more then my ER XLT. This is max for me, I borrowed 100k for home repairs and have a 15 y

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
your right on but also, how many places have a working 350kw charger? and with a 200kw battery how long will it take to charge from 10-90 on a level 2 home charger?
Using an 80amp charger, assuming 7% loss: (200 x 80%) / 17.8 = 9 hours.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
your right on but also, how many places have a working 350kw charger?
Around here, quite a few! I guess we're fortunate in that way. We don't have a ton of DCFCs, but most of the EA stations are functional with 350kW options. It's my biggest gripe with the Lightning - would have loved 800V charging to allow for 300kW speeds. Even if that was a pretty limited time and it then dropped to 200kW it would be a game changer for many of my road trips.

Sponsored

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
According to an Insideevs.com article the EPA numbers are out for the Silverado EV. The 4WT trim with the extended range battery has an impressive EPA range of 450 miles. With a suggested 300 kW charging rate the Silverado can add 100 miles of range in 10 minutes.

But the Silverado EV pays a price for all this range. The efficiency of the Silverado is off 10% of the Lightning’s. The Silverado EV is a very impressive vehicle but it’s also heavy and complicated.

With all the trouble Chevrolet had with the Bolt EV batteries I think waiting a few years for Chevrolet to the kinks worked out of the Silverado EV would be prudent. With all that range I would predict that many people would prefer the Silverado EV over the Lightning. I still have a reservation for a Silverado EV but I can’t imagine giving up my Lightning, it might have been a different story if they had come at the same time.

People scoffed at me when I said recently that Ford needs to hit the Lightning with a bigger hammer but that’s exactly what Chevrolet did with the Silverado EV. Only time will tell which design philosophies will prevail. I am very glad that Chevrolet is pushing the envelope and I’m looking forward to seeing how Chevrolet’s efforts impact the EV industry.
And it starts at 80k for the plain jane work truck which they'll not sell to the public at first.

DanielM92563

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning ER, Taycan CrossTursimo4, 23 Canyon
Once NACS opens up for the Lightning, range may be less of an issue. For my use, I’ll take 2-3k lbs less weight over the Silverado’s increased range but the rear wheel steering 😍. Personally I can’t justify selling the Lightning and paying tens of thousands of dollars more for an EV truck with rear wheel steering.

PreservedSwine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning
Great looking truck, love the range.

But that price- wow.
It doesn’t qualify for the 7500 credit-
Very few are going to purchase new, imo.

Yellow Buddy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150L Pro, Rivian R1T, Model S, Model X
Occupation
Smart Ass
"100 miles in 10 minutes" is a meaningless statistic. At what state of charge? It makes a huge difference, if the battery is nearly empty it will charge much faster than if it is half full. That is why the de facto standard of measurement seems to be 10% to 80% but of course a big battery truck wouldn't want you to know about that.
This so much. The Ford being able to hold 5-80% steady is a huge advantage if you know how to charge it right, especially with charge overheads and the unknown lines/usability or general conditions of the next charger and generally uneducated masses.

Other EVs with steeper bell type charge curves can be faster if the chargers are reliable and you know how to hit the sweet spots. But being able to run it down and fill it up gasoline style, Ford nailed it.

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
Ugly truck. Ugly price. No me gusta.

Go back to the form factor of a 2000s era S10, make it an EV, and I'll be interested. Loved that truck. Being able to reach into the bed while standing on the ground is something I dearly miss.

Sponsored

WhiteBolt

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Pro EV, 2004 SVT Lightning
Occupation
Manufacturing
Ugly truck. Ugly price. No me gusta.

Go back to the form factor of a 2000s era S10, make it an EV, and I'll be interested. Loved that truck. Being able to reach into the bed while standing on the ground is something I dearly miss.
Where were you in 1997 when this was available?......

I know about the EV1 but I never knew these existed too!

Howard_Scott_Warshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER, rapid red
Where were you in 1997 when this was available?......

I know about the EV1 but I never knew these existed too!
F*xo. Now that you mentioned it I vaguely remember hearing they existed.

I friggin loved that S10. That was the best truck I've ever owned and I know that's a controversial statement. Four-wheel drive. Extended cab. Could actually reach into the freaking bed. Could use a normal Jack to get the damn thing off the ground.

KevinC

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F150,Fusion, 2023 Lightning, 2022 Mach E