• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Silverado EV EPA numbers out

Texas Dan

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'04 Envoy XL 4WD, '15 Fusion Energi, '19 Niro EV
Occupation
Engineer
According to an Insideevs.com article the EPA numbers are out for the Silverado EV. The 4WT trim with the extended range battery has an impressive EPA range of 450 miles. With a suggested 300 kW charging rate the Silverado can add 100 miles of range in 10 minutes.

But the Silverado EV pays a price for all this range. The efficiency of the Silverado is off 10% of the Lightning’s. The Silverado EV is a very impressive vehicle but it’s also heavy and complicated.

With all the trouble Chevrolet had with the Bolt EV batteries I think waiting a few years for Chevrolet to the kinks worked out of the Silverado EV would be prudent. With all that range I would predict that many people would prefer the Silverado EV over the Lightning. I still have a reservation for a Silverado EV but I can’t imagine giving up my Lightning, it might have been a different story if they had come at the same time.

People scoffed at me when I said recently that Ford needs to hit the Lightning with a bigger hammer but that’s exactly what Chevrolet did with the Silverado EV. Only time will tell which design philosophies will prevail. I am very glad that Chevrolet is pushing the envelope and I’m looking forward to seeing how Chevrolet’s efforts impact the EV industry.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Oops...

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
Heavy. This truck will have to be registered commercial in some jurisdictions. However, the epa range is higher so that will be the selling point. Interesting to see if it actually gets the range under real world conditions. Good to see real competition in the market finally.

Newton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW e-Golf, Lariat SR, Kia EV6, Toyota T-100
"100 miles in 10 minutes" is a meaningless statistic. At what state of charge? It makes a huge difference, if the battery is nearly empty it will charge much faster than if it is half full. That is why the de facto standard of measurement seems to be 10% to 80% but of course a big battery truck wouldn't want you to know about that.

Silenze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Heavy. This truck will have to be registered commercial in some jurisdictions. However, the epa range is higher so that will be the selling point. Interesting to see if it actually gets the range under real world conditions. Good to see real competition in the market finally.
Even my sr lightning should be registered as a heavy duty. It's over 8k gross.
The dealer just transferred my existing registration at 6k gross. My truck is over 6k unloaded.

Sponsored

Tony Burgh

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
Even my sr lightning should be registered as a heavy duty. It's over 8k gross.
The dealer just transferred my existing registration at 6k gross. My truck is over 6k unloaded.
Driving down the street, my Lariat is over 3 1/2 tons with my butt in the seat.

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
According to an Insideevs.com article the EPA numbers are out for the Silverado EV. The 4WT trim with the extended range battery has an impressive EPA range of 450 miles. With a suggested 300 kW charging rate the Silverado can add 100 miles of range in 10 minutes.

But the Silverado EV pays a price for all this range. The efficiency of the Silverado is off 10% of the Lightning’s. The Silverado EV is a very impressive vehicle but it’s also heavy and complicated.

With all the trouble Chevrolet had with the Bolt EV batteries I think waiting a few years for Chevrolet to the kinks worked out of the Silverado EV would be prudent. With all that range I would predict that many people would prefer the Silverado EV over the Lightning. I still have a reservation for a Silverado EV but I can’t imagine giving up my Lightning, it might have been a different story if they had come at the same time.

People scoffed at me when I said recently that Ford needs to hit the Lightning with a bigger hammer but that’s exactly what Chevrolet did with the Silverado EV. Only time will tell which design philosophies will prevail. I am very glad that Chevrolet is pushing the envelope and I’m looking forward to seeing how Chevrolet’s efforts impact the EV industry.
Re: Bolt EV battery problems...The problems didn't show up until 2020 on 2017 and 2018 model year cars. Fall 2020 the first recall/reprogramming started. Then in the spring/summer they added some 2019 cars and thought they had a fix, until a fixed car burned.

It wasn't a bad car, zippy, small footprint, lots of space, but GM's transparency and handling of the recall leaves a lot to be desired.

I too have a Silverado EV reservation (and a cyber truck), but right now I am very happy with my 2022 lightning. We still have a phev for long distance travel that rarely gets used otherwise, so some of the things that the Silverado does better are not particularly applicable to our decision criteria. If anything I would like the lightning to be more efficient, but 6500 pounds, brick shape do not lend themselves to small car EV efficiency numbers.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Re: Bolt EV battery problems...The problems didn't show up until 2020 on 2017 and 2018 model year cars. Fall 2020 the first recall/reprogramming started. Then in the spring/summer they added some 2019 cars and thought they had a fix, until a fixed car burned.

It wasn't a bad car, zippy, small footprint, lots of space, but GM's transparency and handling of the recall leaves a lot to be desired.

I too have a Silverado EV reservation (and a cyber truck), but right now I am very happy with my 2022 lightning. We still have a phev for long distance travel that rarely gets used otherwise, so some of the things that the Silverado does better are not particularly applicable to our decision criteria. If anything I would like the lightning to be more efficient, but 6500 pounds, brick shape do not lend themselves to small car EV efficiency numbers.
I actually saw problems with the cells after we had torn down a 2017 Bolt and subjected the cells to testing. I loved the Bolt during vehicle testing, deeming it my 2nd favorite vehicle tested after the Model S (since dropped to # 3 after the Lightning took over the #1 spot)

VTbuckeye

First Name
Joseph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
19 Bolt, 16 XC90T8, 22 XC40 P8 Recharge, 17 Tacoma
I actually saw problems with the cells after we had torn down a 2017 Bolt and subjected the cells to testing. I loved the Bolt during vehicle testing, deeming it my 2nd favorite vehicle tested after the Model S (since dropped to # 3 after the Lightning took over the #1 spot)
We had a 2019 bolt. Replaced it with a 2022 Volvo xc40 EV. Any chances you have tested their batteries?

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation

Sponsored

COrocket

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150
Would you say that the cells in the Lightning are similar quality to the ones in Tesla/GM/VW or some of the Korean brands? Teslas seem to have to have a pretty good track record for longevity but of course they’ve been around longer to actually see some high mileage examples. Just curious if you think the Lightning will hit longevity comparable to other EVs

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
Cancelled the CT reservation still have Silverado. Hard to justify making a switch as long as we have an ICE for occasional travel. But I love that mid gate.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Would you say that the cells in the Lightning are similar quality to the ones in Tesla/GM/VW or some of the Korean brands? Teslas seem to have to have a pretty good track record for longevity but of course they’ve been around longer to actually see some high mileage examples. Just curious if you think the Lightning will hit longevity comparable to other EVs
I have 80 Lightning cells getting ready to undergo testing. If you see me saying I'm going to sell before my normal 3 years, you will know I found something wrong.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
It is not just about cells. For example some EVs reduce or stop charging cells when they are cold (less or no regen when breaking). But Lightning does not seem to do that. Regardless of how defect free the cells may be, they could get older faster just due to how Battery Management System works.

Mike m

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 2013 platinum lightning
Love my platinum Lightning and as a ex GMC loyalist would never change back . But an extra 100 miles or so would be game changing for my use case and many others for occasional short trips. Charging stations suck for many reasons. I could handle it once a year for trips that have good choices but not monthly or weekly. The Midwest is not very well developed for stations. It is easier to go Minnesota to Florida than to Iowa for work related trips.😎
Sponsored