• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Slide-in Truck camper (lightweight) with F150 Lightning

runawaytruck

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning (reserved), Subaru
Considering the F150 lightning for part time use with with a lightweight popup truck camper. Dry weight around 1200 lbs so fully loaded wet weight should be under 2000 lbs but not by much. Is anyone else considering something like this?

Any thoughts on how much the range would be reduced with this much load, and what suspension/tire/wheel upgrades to consider?

Any thoughts or inside info on when/if Ford will make the 6.5' bed an option?

Thanks!
Sponsored

metroshot

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat F150L + 2023 MME
Occupation
Networking Tech
Considering the F150 lightning for part time use with with a lightweight popup truck camper. Dry weight around 1200 lbs so fully loaded wet weight should be under 2000 lbs but not by much. Is anyone else considering something like this?

Any thoughts on how much the range would be reduced with this much load, and what suspension/tire/wheel upgrades to consider?

Any thoughts or inside info on when/if Ford will make the 6.5' bed an option?

Thanks!
Yes I am looking into a similar truck camper when I was looking at 3/4 ton trucks for that purpose.

Lance 650 but it might be too heavy (1700 lbs dry).

Definitely will need at least another leaf spring (if the Lightning uses them) at least when I was shopping for an ICE truck...

I love the Lance - very nice design and quality.

SteffanG

First Name
Steffan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Audi Q5 (written off), 2008 F150 XLT HDPP
Occupation
Electrician
Yes I am looking into a similar truck camper when I was looking at 3/4 ton trucks for that purpose.

Lance 650 but it might be too heavy (1700 lbs dry).

Definitely will need at least another leaf spring (if the Lightning uses them) at least when I was shopping for an ICE truck...

I love the Lance - very nice design and quality.
IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) so no leaf springs. Will likely ride more like a car than a truck (yes a car, not an SUV as the center of gravity is likely about where it would be on an ICE car).
There is likely no opportunity to overload it on long distances as you have very specific tires that probably are rated for what the truck can carry. They arent just regular truck tires, they would be designed with an EV in mind as well as an already elevated weight over an ICE F150.

Changing to non-EV tires will probably affect your range by a lot

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Suspension upgrades may never exist for this vehicle as it isn't going to be made in anywhere near the volume of any other trucks. They might maybe be someone that makes a lift kit but I doubt it will happen any time soon.
Tire/wheel upgrades will be questionable as I believe that the wheels are different specs than the standard f150 so you won't necessarily be able to use ones for it. And as mentioned any tire difference will impact range, how much is really unknown. It depends on what exact tires they are using on the vehicle from the factory.

Sponsored
OP
OP

runawaytruck

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thanks for the replies. I hadn't considered the tire issue, will be interesting to see what kind of tires these come with and what if any options for tires, increased payload package, etc might be coming down the road. I'm guessing it will not be in year one but I would think the demand for that stuff might be there in a few years. For now it sounds like we'd be better off sticking with the hybrid or standard F150 for a slide-in camper unless it's really, really light.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
I'd bet some air bag assist will be online soon as well as a lot of aftermarket gizmos.

One could have a spring company bend some bigger springs too.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
. Is anyone else considering something like this?
Yes.

I'm looking for something in the 1k# range with wet head so I can add 500# trailer/boat.

But the camper folks locally are not optimistic. Here's a local mfg of ultralight campers on the issue.

"I love the idea of following the salmon runs – sounds magical. Unfortunately our camper doesn’t work well for an F150. We love that truck, but have stopped building for it. It just doesn’t have the payload capacity for our campers. I’m so sorry. Good luck finding the right camper!"

I did ask the owners if they'd consider building a solar powered model that fit the 1k# range for the F150EV.

Last edited:

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
When I was a kid the slide in's were a big thing and usually pretty cheap.
Now they are priced out of sight.

OP
OP

runawaytruck

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Suspension upgrades may never exist for this vehicle as it isn't going to be made in anywhere near the volume of any other trucks. They might maybe be someone that makes a lift kit but I doubt it will happen any time soon.
I think (and yes this is just my opinion) there is a very good chance that within a few years Ford will be selling more electic F150s than all other engines/trucks combined. Between the tax incentives and gas savings, plus the tax incentives for installing solar panels on your home, and the rapidly expanding fast charging networks, there are a lot of reasons to get an electric car or truck over an ICE and those will likely become more and more compelling over time. Battery tech and range is only going to get better from here...and they are very likely working on all electric super duties as well as we speak. If they can get to 300+ miles of range while towing a trailer or hauling at full payload capacity (and they will at some point) does buying a gas guzzling truck make sense for anyone?

I'm honestly worried that in 5 years or so it will be hard to sell a used ICE vehicle and the value of those will crater.

Sponsored

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
I think (and yes this is just my opinion) there is a very good chance that within a few years Ford will be selling more electic F150s than all other engines/trucks combined. Between the tax incentives and gas savings, plus the tax incentives for installing solar panels on your home, and the rapidly expanding fast charging networks, there are a lot of reasons to get an electric car or truck over an ICE and those will likely become more and more compelling over time. Battery tech and range is only going to get better from here...and they are very likely working on all electric super duties as well as we speak. If they can get to 300+ miles of range while towing a trailer or hauling at full payload capacity (and they will at some point) does buying a gas guzzling truck make sense for anyone?

I'm honestly worried that in 5 years or so it will be hard to sell a used ICE vehicle and the value of those will crater.
The issue isn't demand, it is supply. Ford already announced that the Gen 1 Lightning will only run from 2022 to 2025, when it will be replaced with bottoms up redesign for an electric F150. So, we know production is constrained in 2022 and they are only doing mid year start. We also know that max production for the Gen 1 Lightning is 80k/yr. 2025 will also be a partial year because the 2026 model year usually starts in the fall.

Putting all of that together, and you are looking at ~250k total production run for the Gen 1 Lightning - regardless of demand, and that is assuming they don't hit any snags that slow them down. That isn't a very large base for Aftermarket parts - at least not compared to the ICE F150

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
Payload is a HUGE issue for Lightning! 2000 lbs max for SR, 1800 for ER - that includes passengers, gear and the camper. I have done a preliminary design using the Scout Yoho hard side truck camper. Only 958 lbs for the shell.

It should be a little lighter than that as I plan to electrify it so all gas hoses and accessories can be removed as well as the battery and probably the solar panel. I will potentially cut a hole in it for as pass-through to the rear window and devise a way to duct HVAC air from the cabin into the camper.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
kind of a standard truck payload...

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
this is one of the great side benefits to electrifying a truck - CAMPING. With most of us needing Electricity when off-grid, the truck now provides that - so, so long to 'having' to plug in at a campground, or having to even stay AT a campground.
I know there's more to camping, such as water and sewer, but those things are already typically encompassed within a camper, but, of course, there are a lot of variables when it comes to camping, what 'camping' means to you, and what you are willing to put up with, comfort wise, when doing so(or, maybe, more importantly, what you FAMILY is willing to put up with!).

A generator-less camping off-grid experience would be a god-send to most who deal with it, or their neighbors who have to hear it.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
That Scout looks smaller than a prison cell. I can't understand why the base is so narrow, either.

Back in the 80s we had little snug top fiberglass shells. Now they look pretty trick and are made from canvas: https://www.bestop.com/products/supertop-for-truck-2-ford-2015-2021-f-150-black-diamond/

Slide a mattress and kitchen setup and it'll probably be at least as comfortable as the overbuilt slide-ins and may even be better. Not to mention, it's going to have a lot better range than a slide-in...that Scout could drop the F150's range to 50 miles. :O

I had a 15' Casita until 2020 when someone offered me a stupid amount of money for it when the parks opened back up. For anyone in CA, if you use a travel trailer under 16' you can register it as a permanent trailer that only costs $10 registration every 5 years.
Sponsored