• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Slow charging on AC

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER - 2022 Mach-E Premium
Occupation
Electrician
First time charging. Lariat ER. I ran the battery down to 50%. I have an Emporia EV charger hardwired on a 60 amp circuit, set for 48 amps. My Emporia app is only showing a 24/25 amp draw and the charge rate is fluctuating. Garage is in the upper 60's temperature wise, just got back from a 50 mile drive about an hour and a half ago.

Now, thinking I had a problem with my Emporia EVSE, I plugged in the mobile charger on a 50 amp circuit. I can't tell how many amps are being provided, because Ford, in it's infinite wisdom, doesn't give us any information about anything, treating us like mushrooms. I did, however, notice that the time the truck estimated the charge will be done moved over 2 hours later. That tells me the mobile charger was providing less than the Emporia.

Anybody have any ideas? This lower rate is no problem now, but in the dead of winter with a 100 mile round trip commute in the snowy cold of Southern Michigan, and with a 12 hour cold soak exposed to the elements while I'm working, I don't think this charge rate will recover enough range in my 7 hour off-peak window.

Ford F-150 Lightning Slow charging on AC Screenshot_20221008_195633

Ford F-150 Lightning Slow charging on AC Screenshot_20221008_195728
Sponsored

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
I would say to set up Torque to watch the current levels. Also, check what the PWM from the truck is saying. This will help you determine what the problem is.

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
I would say to set up Torque to watch the current levels. Also, check what the PWM from the truck is saying. This will help you determine what the problem is.
Do you have any links or sites you would recommend to learn about the Torque app? @FlasherZ has a thread on here with some links, but some links are dead. I have Torque Pro installed, imported the Mach-E PID's, but I can't figure out how to set the dashboard up.

Saul Goodman

First Name
Saul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Formerly Mach-E FE, 2022 F150L Lariat in transit
Amps x volts = watts
Reduce the amps by 33% from 48 to 32 of the mobile charger and your watts go down. Funny how math works.

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Amps x volts = watts
Reduce the amps by 33% from 48 to 32 of the mobile charger and your watts go down. Funny how math works.
What does any of that have to do with my slow charging?

Sponsored

gorwell

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ioniq 5 / XLT Standard
Not your same situation, but Same charger and today was the first day I decided to charge to 100%. But, i noticed it kept decreasing in speed as it got higher into the 90s.

Never seen this before, I've charged my Ioniq 5 to 100% probably like 10 times since I've owned it and it never slowed down.

Ford F-150 Lightning Slow charging on AC Screenshot_20221008-184617

(I plugged the lightning in just to top it off after my Ioniq 5 charged during the night to 70%)

I don't think I ever heard anyone say ford limits l2 speeds.... But never had this issue with charger before, so maybe it does... Will see what happens next time I go to 100 for either car.

BennyTheBeaver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning XLT ER
Based on your chart is seems your charging is oscillating between 16A and 30A. The chart seems like thermal issues, it ramps up, overheats, and dips back down. I'm assuming that you are using 240v, obviously if you are down towards 208v that would have an impact...

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Based on your chart is seems your charging is oscillating between 16A and 30A. The chart seems like thermal issues, it ramps up, overheats, and dips back down. I'm assuming that you are using 240v, obviously if you are down towards 208v that would have an impact...
My voltage reads 238V at the EVSE terminals. Same as the 14-50 outlet.

OP
OP
Pioneer74

Pioneer74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Electrician
Not your same situation, but Same charger and today was the first day I decided to charge to 100%. But, i noticed it kept decreasing in speed as it got higher into the 90s.

Never seen this before, I've charged my Ioniq 5 to 100% probably like 10 times since I've owned it and it never slowed down.

Screenshot_20221008-184617.png

(I plugged the lightning in just to top it off after my Ioniq 5 charged during the night to 70%)

I don't think I ever heard anyone say ford limits l2 speeds.... But never had this issue with charger before, so maybe it does... Will see what happens next time I go to 100 for either car.
What was your trucks battery percentage when you started charging and reading ~11kw?

Sponsored

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
First time charging. Lariat ER. I ran the battery down to 50%. I have an Emporia EV charger hardwired on a 60 amp circuit, set for 48 amps. My Emporia app is only showing a 24/25 amp draw and the charge rate is fluctuating. Garage is in the upper 60's temperature wise, just got back from a 50 mile drive about an hour and a half ago.

Now, thinking I had a problem with my Emporia EVSE, I plugged in the mobile charger on a 50 amp circuit. I can't tell how many amps are being provided, because Ford, in it's infinite wisdom, doesn't give us any information about anything, treating us like mushrooms. I did, however, notice that the time the truck estimated the charge will be done moved over 2 hours later. That tells me the mobile charger was providing less than the Emporia.

Anybody have any ideas? This lower rate is no problem now, but in the dead of winter with a 100 mile round trip commute in the snowy cold of Southern Michigan, and with a 12 hour cold soak exposed to the elements while I'm working, I don't think this charge rate will recover enough range in my 7 hour off-peak window.
I believe I heard the mobile charger is to deliver 32A if plugged in anywhere but the bed outlet, and was set up to know when plugged into the bed outlet and derate itself to 30A to stay within the 240V outlet rating. That would be 7.6kW which does appear higher than the peak of what your graphs shows with the Emporia, though the voltage may drop a bit more under load and the Emporia power monitoring could have a more imprecise accuracy than one might expect. Who knows exactly what the Ford time to charge calculator is pulling from with a power profile like that - that ping ponging is definitely not natural. I don't think it is expected behavior from what the vehicle would be requesting unless broken, which makes me think it is an issue with the EVSE.

My next stop would probably be a public L2 AC EVSE on a network with that provides a power chart (I know Chargepoint does). It will be hard to find something over 32A but you could seek it out on Plugshare (won't be Chargepoint if you do find one).

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Do you have any links or sites you would recommend to learn about the Torque app? @FlasherZ has a thread on here with some links, but some links are dead. I have Torque Pro installed, imported the Mach-E PID's, but I can't figure out how to set the dashboard up.
Do you have an OBDII adaptor to connect to the vehicle? If so, go to Realtime Information and long press on the screen to add a sensor. You can then select the type of display and then the information to display.

If you have an extended-range battery, the OBD will only show half of the current if over 48 A.

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030

Screenshot_20221008-184617.png

I see the same ramp down after 90% in my SR on L2 48 amp charging. By the time it’s near 100%, it has ramped down to 2 KWh (less than 10 amps).

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030

Screenshot_20221008_195633.jpg

Screenshot_20221008_195728.jpg
Doesn’t the ER split the L2 charging between two inverters instead of the one on the SR? If so is it possible that one of the inverters is not working and that is why your Lightning is only charging at half speed?
Sponsored