• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

SR towing capacity

RDow

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 lightning
Occupation
Retired
I have a 23 Lariat SR with advanced tow technology. I believe it’s rated for 5000 lbs tow. My question is , do you think it’s safe to tow a 7000 lb boat for short distances, 30 to 50 miles? Find a great deal on boat, hate to lose it and hate to give up my truck.
Sponsored

p52Ranch

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XLT Lightning, Badlands 7MT, New Holland 4030
The difference between the SR regular tow of 5,000 pounds and the Tow package capacity of 7,700 pounds is due to the additional battery cooling provided by the tow package. That is the only difference. All of the other mechanicals are identical.

So if your not towing up a 10% grade in Death Valley conditions your Lightning should handle it no problem. I’ve got a SR XLT and have towed a 11,500 pound fertilizer wagon without issue.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Ford F-150 Lightning SR towing capacity 1711556394962-b

according to https://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/f150-lightning/features/towing/ you are good up to 7700 pounds, and 10k pounds if you have the Max Towing feature (tow tech is a totally different feature)

Actually, that's marketing fluff, this is your better guide:
Ford F-150 Lightning SR towing capacity 1711556657070-jc

This indicates you're not so fine and would be exceeding your towing recommendations unless you have Max Tow (referred to in this guide as "4. Available Trailer Tow Package"

You're talking about exceeding the recommendation by 40%, that's quite a lot and I don't think I would do so in my own truck.

This guide is here: https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...cpo/pdf/2023_Ford_F-150_Towing_Info_Dec16.pdf Lighting screenshot above is on page 6

Last edited:

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
ALL the Lightnings, REGARDLESS of trim level, have been built with 10,000lb Towing Capacity.
The chassis between all the trim levels know NO difference.

But, the reason Ford states a 'lower' Tow Capacity is simply due to the BATTERY PACK SIZE, and the EXTRA COOLING CAPACITY of the optional MAX TOW.
The BATTERY PACK's temperature, which can be drastically INCREASED due to towing heavy weights, will threaten the power/capacity of the truck if they increase over a certain threshhold.

So,
The SR vehicles, with the 100kwh battery pack, as standard, show as '5,000lb Tow Capacity'
but,
The SR vehicles with the OPTIONAL MAX TOW, which is an extra COOLING LOOP around the battery pack, show as '7,700lb Tow Capacity'...

ER Battery packs are 7,500lb tow capacity, and
10,000lb with optional MAX TOW(except the Platinum, which is slightly less due to it's own weight)

Regardless of all that, ANY of these trucks can 'tow' the exact same 10,000lb maximum capacity, but the LONG RANGE travel with those weights could damage the battery pack due to overheating, at speed, due to terrain, etc.
If towing for a short range over flat terrain, in temperate weather, you'd have little to worry about.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Ford certainly doesn't make it easy!

According to the Ford site, there's a number of packages and they aren't clear which one a Lightning owner might have just on the text description:

"only the Class IV hitch (53B), without the Trailer Tow Package (53A). 2. Requires Max Trailer Tow Package (53C). 3. Standard range battery. 4. Available Trailer Tow Package (53D)."

Trailer Tow Package (53A)
Class IV Hitch (53B)
Max Trailer Tow Package (53C)
Trailer Tow Package (53D)

53D appears to be Lightning specific. Maybe this is the Lightning Max Tow package? I thought there were other tow packages besides the max tow package when I ordered but mine is a '22.

See if you can find whether you have 53D on your build sheet, which would give SR a tow 7,700 limit.

Sponsored

ryun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Kia EV6, 2023 Lightning XLT SR
I saw a video where someone overheated in normal mode but they were fine after they switched to tow/haul mode -- there's probably other benefits too that I don't know about because I don't tow. I think it boosts the cooling regardless of tow package. So, make sure you're in tow/haul mode whenever you tow.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
53D appears to be Lightning specific. Maybe this is the Lightning Max Tow package?
It is, the Max Tow package for ICE included a suped up rear diff and extra tranny cooler. Neither of which would translate to the lightning, so having the same option code wouldn't make sense.
Sponsored