• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Stand alone off grid solar charging, given CA &PG&E

OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Forerunner, 2016 Subaru Outback
Occupation
retired mostly
Avocadodude.. did you every get your system put together and up and running?

At perfect efficiency the Growatt would deliver 50A total. 80% of that would be 40A (what you should draw across a breaker). The problem is I haven't seen an inverter with 100% efficiency (Growatt is listed as 88% peak efficiency), so 88% would put it at 44A and 80% of that is 35A. Again that's stating that the only thing you are running is the charger at the time. I'm sure you can push these limits and may never experience a failure. Also these limits are based on continuous operation numbers provided by the manufacturer, not the peak numbers (which are usually rated as sustainable for a couple seconds i.e Growatt is 36kW surge, 12kW continuous).
Sponsored

Avocadodude

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariat
Avocadodude.. did you every get your system put together and up and running?
Not quite yet. Iā€™ll post some pics of where Iā€™m at tomorrow. Life got in the way of finishing (and itā€™s just been hotšŸ˜‚)

OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired mostly
Not quite yet. Iā€™ll post some pics of where Iā€™m at tomorrow. Life got in the way of finishing (and itā€™s just been hotšŸ˜‚)
Be very interested to hear where your design ended. Was hoping your system would be up and running before we need to make a final decision on which route we will take. For some reason my solar installer rep has been Mia and not responding to my calls or emails. We wanted a cost for replacing our eighteen . old 175w panels with newer higher watt panels as another possible routeā€¦. But weā€™d need a new inverter and I have no idea what other changes might be needed and cost. So hard to make a comparison.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
Why the 30kW of hybrid inverters and $20k in batteries?
The $20K in batteries is to get to the 14.4kW peak (not sustained, to be clear) power. It's one of the issues with batteries.

OP, if you're willing to wait, my installer up in LA (GIM) told me to wait to put batteries on my install for about six months because they'll be selling a 50A battery then (their branded battery).

OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired mostly
The $20K in batteries is to get to the 14.4kW peak (not sustained, to be clear) power. It's one of the issues with batteries.

OP, if you're willing to wait, my installer up in LA (GIM) told me to wait to put batteries on my install for about six months because they'll be selling a 50A battery then (their branded battery).
Thanks for the heads up on the batteries, not sure if we can wait that long, but we still have some due diligence left to do to figure out what we are going to do and whenā€¦.

Sponsored

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
not sure if we can wait that long
If it's relevant to you, the new tax bill includes extending 30% to batteries and they can be installed after the initial panels (in subsequent years).

I put solar on a condo in 2016 but I haven't followed the laws since so I don't know if that's already current law.

I'm in the planning stages right now. I had this conversation with my installer. I was asking about the difference between the Powerwalls I had previously planned on installing vs. the enphase system he was putting in. But he didn't recommend either. That's when he explained these batteries are 20-30A with the best being, I think he said, 40A and that their company had a 50A coming out in six months.

It all depends on your energy needs. I was talking to him about running my A/C during peak TOU. If you're just wanting to run a fridge and some lights 20-30A seems like it'd be fine.

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
Our utility is also solar unfriendly. Looking to do off grid not just for the EV but for half the house (A/C stays on grid). Haven't been able to find anyone to do it, yet.
I have been building that exact system for awhile. Give me a call 707-530-1330.
Sponsored