• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Stand alone off grid solar charging, given CA &PG&E

davidf01

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 lightning
I would look into a wind generator that charges a battery pack that would plug into your truck.
Sponsored

OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Forerunner, 2016 Subaru Outback
Occupation
retired mostly
Hi Mario, yes, that was the video I saw. Do you have any idea how much battery capacity is needed to "buffer", as discussed above? -cj-

I saw the same video if it was Will from YouTube. He showed that exact inverter. I’m planning on buying used panels which drastically reduces the cost. Im doing a ballasted low ground mount system that will only cost several hundred for a 4K system and run it to my shed where I will charge my Lightning. It will be completely off grid, so I don’t have to rely on power company if something happens. It’s a fun project I will hopefully do in the next couple of months. There are some cheap server UPS batteries that act as a buffer.

OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired mostly
Wasn't sure if a Solar forum would be best place with regards to charging a LIghtning... but will do some prowling there too.. Thanks. -cj-

You should ask this question on a solar forum, guys there install by themselves, either on roof or ground. Forgot which forum though.

OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired mostly
Honestly, I'm not 100% sure I've done all the calculations correctly, I have to let it sit and go back and look at it again. The rate structures are complicated and there is both a PG&E "Distribution" charge, and a Electrical "generation" charge. But this is how I calculate our costs for different plans assuming same use and solar generation as last 12 months for household, and adding in the EV, assuming about 900/mi a month at 1.88 mi/KW and all charging during off peak. Spreadsheet rabbit hole.. :)

Etou-CE-Tou-C w/EVEV2-AEV-B (House stays on E-ToU-C)
Household Use
PGE Distribution$ 544.55$ 803.74$ 825.58$ 544.55
SVCE Generation$ 258.93$ 258.99$ 126.35$ 258.93
Total Annual Est$ 803.48$ 1,062.72$ 951.94$ 803.48
Electric Vehicle
PGE Distribution$ 1,718.84$ 1,417.11$ 922.76
SVCE Generation$ 802.03$ 730.14$ 654.86
Total Annual Est$ 2,520.87$ 2,147.24$ 1,577.62
Total Hs & EV$ 3,583.59$ 3,099.18$ 2,381.10

that is a pretty big range...

For the setup you detailed - it looks like you are considering the EV-B plan....-
https://www.pge.com/en_US/residenti...cle-base-plan/electric-vehicle-base-plan.page
&
https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV (Sch).pdf

1655241704691.png

Compared the EV2-A plan (no extra meter required):
1655241893999.png

...From the looks of the charts, Unless you needed a lot of power between 3pm to 12 midnight, it doesn't look like you'd get much of an advantage with EV-B and would take a while to recoup the price of the second meter?....

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
yes, the problem with an EV's charging needs is that the EVSE needs 'constant' 120v or 240v voltage, and solar panels, themselves, just cannot do that. You'll need a big battery bank to 'buffer' that voltage(regulate it), and yes, you'll also need that expensive INVERTER to provide the 120v/240v to the EVSE and then to the truck.

Sounds like a lot of work, and a LOT of money, just to 'bypass' what's already available and payable on a 'monthly' basis. No matter how you slice it, even if a stand-alone solar array, inverter, and battery bank could 'charge' your truck, the financial picture is not as clear - it may would take years, maybe 20 - 30 years, to get close to 'break even', and that's not even including all the maintenance during those years, much less 'replacement' batteries, inverter, and even solar panels along the way.

Too rich for my blood.
I actually agree with everything you said. On the other hand at some point of expense from the electric company to "provide service" it would make financial sense. The question is at what price point? There are some proposals out here in CA where if you provide your own solar, but are grid tied, they want you to pay $50-75 per month for "service". I like the idea where the electric company says, "hey if you want electricity service you have to buy a minimum of electrical. If you dont use any electrical then you still have to pay" In this manner they identify your share of the the ongoing cost to run the wires to your house but at least provide you some electricricity back. The thought that a house helps the provide electricity back to the grid AND you need to pay them $60/mo for the privilege is galling to me. steve

Last edited:

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Some providers also offer some break for charging and of course at night.

24 cents seems high but for 15-30 miles day it would be nothing. I replace about 13Kwh each day at 24A in a bit over 2 hours.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Hi Mario, yes, that was the video I saw. Do you have any idea how much battery capacity is needed to "buffer", as discussed above? -cj-
I don’t know. It’s the same question I was thinking about yesterday. I already planned out the location on my property and realized it doesn’t have to be super expensive if you buy the right DIY parts and put it together yourself. I’m going to attempt to find out by watching more of his past videos, or get on a forum and ask about the buffer size needed.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I think with your relatively LOW usage of the truck on a daily basis, you won't even NEED to recharge everyday... it's not like you're going thru the battery so fast that every night you have to worry about charging... just do it once a week, during off-peak hours. Maybe you even would be well off to think about a simple 30 minute DC Fast charge instead of even charging at home. Maybe simply using a 120v trickle-charge during the off-peak hours at home will warrant enough 'extra' to not even worry about heavy 'charging' worries each night.

OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired mostly
Thanks for input.. I still need to look into the local availability of fast chargers and such.. This all came about suddenly for us, we didn't expect to get a 2022, so I pretty much put all the thought of an LIghtning on the back burner. But our dealer got an extra allocation and we made the list. So, now I'm back in learning/planning mode.

I think with your relatively LOW usage of the truck on a daily basis, you won't even NEED to recharge everyday... it's not like you're going thru the battery so fast that every night you have to worry about charging... just do it once a week, during off-peak hours. Maybe you even would be well off to think about a simple 30 minute DC Fast charge instead of even charging at home. Maybe simply using a 120v trickle-charge during the off-peak hours at home will warrant enough 'extra' to not even worry about heavy 'charging' worries each night.

OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired mostly
There are some other advantages of the off grid/ground mount idea. The panels are easier to clean, we can at the very least do the panel purchase and installation ourselves, for a lot less money. We can place them for maximum efficiency. No permitting from the County or PG&E, which when we expanded our rooftop solar was a major hassle. And no worry about PG&E rate increases. Do let me know what you find out on the buffer Mario... -cj-

I don’t know. It’s the same question I was thinking about yesterday. I already planned out the location on my property and realized it doesn’t have to be super expensive if you buy the right DIY parts and put it together yourself. I’m going to attempt to find out by watching more of his past videos, or get on a forum and ask about the buffer size needed.

Sponsored
OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired mostly
Well, I receive a quote from one vendor for the components for an off grid solar charging system.. Who was it who said too rich for their blood? 50K.. Not in my budget. Attached fyi..

Ford F-150 Lightning Stand alone off grid solar charging, given CA &PG&E Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 8.37.29 PM

Has anyone considered/looked into doing a dedicated off grid charging station for their EV? We have solar already, but we are not net 0. So, we'd have to add on, but the cost of upgrading our current system, running out of roof space, it would be expensive. Add to it PG&E's continuing effort to increase cost of solar and I"m thinking off grid might be the best option. We are on 2.5 acres and have plenty of room for a dedicated system with ground mount solar, with short run to a parking area on the driveway. I'm retired and can charge during the day. Saw a video about such a system that referenced this inverter: https://watts247.com/product/lvx-6048-hybrid-solar-inverter-split-phase-120v-240v/?wpam_id=3. Thoughts, complications? Thanks. -cj-

Bandit216

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E GTPE, Lightning Lariat
Well, I receive a quote from one vendor for the components for an off grid solar charging system.. Who was it who said too rich for their blood? 50K.. Not in my budget. Attached fyi..

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 8.37.29 PM.png
$600 for a Square D disconnect. Wow. Even if it is 200 Amp.

OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired mostly
Seems like it should be possible for a lot less. We only need about 1/2 what this guy has done for an off grid charger for his Tesla.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
$600 for a Square D disconnect. Wow. Even if it is 200 Amp.
That model disconnect normally sells for $450-500. Probably includes another $50 in fuses. Of course, they have to mark it up some. That’s not out of line.

Schneider’s retail list price is $1200. Of course nobody’s pays list.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 8.37.29 PM.png
Why the 30kW of hybrid inverters and $20k in batteries?
Sponsored