• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Stand alone off grid solar charging, given CA &PG&E

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Forerunner, 2016 Subaru Outback
Occupation
retired mostly
Has anyone considered/looked into doing a dedicated off grid charging station for their EV? We have solar already, but we are not net 0. So, we'd have to add on, but the cost of upgrading our current system, running out of roof space, it would be expensive. Add to it PG&E's continuing effort to increase cost of solar and I"m thinking off grid might be the best option. We are on 2.5 acres and have plenty of room for a dedicated system with ground mount solar, with short run to a parking area on the driveway. I'm retired and can charge during the day. Saw a video about such a system that referenced this inverter: https://watts247.com/product/lvx-6048-hybrid-solar-inverter-split-phase-120v-240v/?wpam_id=3. Thoughts, complications? Thanks. -cj-
Sponsored

Lightning.Dav

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna x 2
Has anyone considered/looked into doing a dedicated off grid charging station for their EV?
Our utility is also solar unfriendly. Looking to do off grid not just for the EV but for half the house (A/C stays on grid). Haven't been able to find anyone to do it, yet.

adoublee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 EVs
It's not easy because usually a sufficiently capable battery is needed to "form a local grid" because solar panels are a current source with unfixed voltage. HIS inverter with DC DC converts might allow for this, depending on modes it is programmed to allow.

You could also look into PV-direct https://pairedpower.com.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
yes, the problem with an EV's charging needs is that the EVSE needs 'constant' 120v or 240v voltage, and solar panels, themselves, just cannot do that. You'll need a big battery bank to 'buffer' that voltage(regulate it), and yes, you'll also need that expensive INVERTER to provide the 120v/240v to the EVSE and then to the truck.

Sounds like a lot of work, and a LOT of money, just to 'bypass' what's already available and payable on a 'monthly' basis. No matter how you slice it, even if a stand-alone solar array, inverter, and battery bank could 'charge' your truck, the financial picture is not as clear - it may would take years, maybe 20 - 30 years, to get close to 'break even', and that's not even including all the maintenance during those years, much less 'replacement' batteries, inverter, and even solar panels along the way.

Too rich for my blood.

hturnerfamily

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 LIGHTNING PRO IcedBlueSilver 8/23/2022
Occupation
Owner
I wouldn't build a solar array system just to power my air conditioner, either, and it probably takes a lot more energy.

Sponsored

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Kind of an expensive process unless some uncle sugar gives you a ton of money to do it.

Worse part of this is most people would charge at night. If you work nights then it might help. A PV array is still an expensive battery. You are just buying China dumping.

Lightning_Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved Lightning...
Last edited:
OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired mostly
Interesting comments. We actually did build a DIY stand alone solar system to power our pond waterfall pump. It is saving us $'s because under PG&E rate plan, peak use is now from 4-9 PM, a lot of that peak use time it is now running off of the solar system which both keeps us below baseline rates and reduces our usage during that peak use high rate period. That's project is what made me wonder if we could do the same with the eV....

Lightning_Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved Lightning...
Interesting comments. We actually did build a DIY stand alone solar system to power our pond waterfall pump. It is saving us $'s because under PG&E rate plan, peak use is now from 4-9 PM, a lot of that peak use time it is now running off of the solar system which both keeps us below baseline rates and reduces our usage during that peak use high rate period. That's project is what made me wonder if we could do the same with the eV....

In your situation, Assuming, your Lighting/EV would be charging at night - it would be cheaper to just set your lightning to not charge until 9pm and stop at 4am. Unless power rates go up dramatically, not too sure you'd recoup your investment (panels, mounting, battery, inverter and EVSE) in a reasonable amount of time (less than 10 years)

OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired mostly
HTuner... this is one of the things we were wondering about. Typically, the truck will probably be driven 15-30 miles day. If I've done my calcs right @1.88 mi/kw we are talking about, 8-17 kw/day to 'top it off''? But it sounds like the battery bank would need to be much bigger than needed for toppin it off to accomplish 'buffer', regulate the voltage. -cj-

yes, the problem with an EV's charging needs is that the EVSE needs 'constant' 120v or 240v voltage, and solar panels, themselves, just cannot do that. You'll need a big battery bank to 'buffer' that voltage(regulate it), and yes, you'll also need that expensive INVERTER to provide the 120v/240v to the EVSE and then to the truck.

Sounds like a lot of work, and a LOT of money, just to 'bypass' what's already available and payable on a 'monthly' basis. No matter how you slice it, even if a stand-alone solar array, inverter, and battery bank could 'charge' your truck, the financial picture is not as clear - it may would take years, maybe 20 - 30 years, to get close to 'break even', and that's not even including all the maintenance during those years, much less 'replacement' batteries, inverter, and even solar panels along the way.

Too rich for my blood.

Sponsored
OP
OP

swngdncr

First Name
Carla
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
retired mostly
Off peak is midnight to 3pm in our area. We can charge during this time frame, no need to charge only at night. if we can get a separate meter for the truck, the rates are reasonable. But, if if we have to put it on the house meter, then the ev rate plan causes the cost for the rest of our usage to go up compared to our current rate plan. I'm still doing the analysis. I think I have requested pge give us quotes for separate items meter but service rep said $1000 - 20,000 range..

In your situation, Assuming, your Lighting/EV would be charging at night - it would be cheaper to just set your lightning to not charge until 9pm and stop at 4am. Unless power rates go up dramatically, not too sure you'd recoup your investment (panels, mounting, battery, inverter and EVSE) in a reasonable amount of time (less than 10 years)

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Ground mounting adds significant cost to a solar install. You might just add a second system (using the HIS) on the same meter (second subpanel?) and lease it from SunRun. They might eat any panel/service work needed. You could add all critical loads to the new HIS based system as well at the same time.

Lightning_Bob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Reserved Lightning...
...I think I have requested pge give us quotes for separate items meter but service rep said $1000 - 20,000 range..
that is a pretty big range...

For the setup you detailed - it looks like you are considering the EV-B plan....-
https://www.pge.com/en_US/residenti...cle-base-plan/electric-vehicle-base-plan.page
&
https://www.pge.com/tariffs/assets/pdf/tariffbook/ELEC_SCHEDS_EV (Sch).pdf

Ford F-150 Lightning Stand alone off grid solar charging, given CA &PG&E 1655241704691

Compared the EV2-A plan (no extra meter required):
Ford F-150 Lightning Stand alone off grid solar charging, given CA &PG&E 1655241893999

...From the looks of the charts, Unless you needed a lot of power between 3pm to 12 midnight, it doesn't look like you'd get much of an advantage with EV-B and would take a while to recoup the price of the second meter?....

Attachments

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Has anyone considered/looked into doing a dedicated off grid charging station for their EV? We have solar already, but we are not net 0. So, we'd have to add on, but the cost of upgrading our current system, running out of roof space, it would be expensive. Add to it PG&E's continuing effort to increase cost of solar and I"m thinking off grid might be the best option. We are on 2.5 acres and have plenty of room for a dedicated system with ground mount solar, with short run to a parking area on the driveway. I'm retired and can charge during the day. Saw a video about such a system that referenced this inverter: https://watts247.com/product/lvx-6048-hybrid-solar-inverter-split-phase-120v-240v/?wpam_id=3. Thoughts, complications? Thanks. -cj-
I saw the same video if it was Will from YouTube. He showed that exact inverter. I’m planning on buying used panels which drastically reduces the cost. Im doing a ballasted low ground mount system that will only cost several hundred for a 4K system and run it to my shed where I will charge my Lightning. It will be completely off grid, so I don’t have to rely on power company if something happens. It’s a fun project I will hopefully do in the next couple of months. There are some cheap server UPS batteries that act as a buffer.

Roy2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MX LR; Prius Prime
You should ask this question on a solar forum, guys there install by themselves, either on roof or ground. Forgot which forum though.
Sponsored