• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Stealth Camping in the Lightning!

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
It started with an easy and obvious idea: take advantage of Camp Mode and sleep on the floor - in airconditioned comfort. Sleeping in the car has always been so uncomfortable!

As you'll see from the attached, that idea grew with all the electrification available. All items shown are linked to their Amazon page. Truck dimensions are guestimates since I don't have a F-150 SuperCrew, and did not feel like finding one to measure. I think this will work for anyone under 6'....your mileage may vary!

Any additional ideas to improve (or gotchas I have overlooked), are certainly welcome! It will be awhile until I get my Lightning...but I'm excited! Full build-out as shown is about $5,000.

Ford F-150 Lightning Stealth Camping in the Lightning! Camping Stealth
Sponsored

Attachments

Sklith

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3 Performance, Energica Ego
It's a shame the seats that lie flat are only available with the Platinum.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
What’s Camp Mode?

Sponsored

beatle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model S, Ridgeline, Miata, motorcycle(s)
How far back do the non-flat seats go? I wonder if a cover or platform of some type could be fashioned to level them out so they could be used as beds. This would let you sleep two and eliminate the need to remove the rear seats. The Model S hatch is not flat, but I built a platform out of insulation and hardboard that makes it flat. I can then put a foam air mattress on top (or just a few sleeping bags). I agree that it's a shame the lie-flat seats weren't available as a line item option or I would have sprung for them on my Lariat build.

A tent for the back with a window that seals to the truck's rear window could make for some semi-conditioned space, perhaps with a fan to force conditioned air into the tent from the cabin.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
A tent for the back with a window that seals to the truck's rear window could make for some semi-conditioned space, perhaps with a fan to force conditioned air into the tent from the cabin.
Great idea! I'd like to be able to pitch a tent on top of a properly strengthened tonneau cover with a tent design that attaches to the bed rails in some form.

LightningShow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lariat ER
Occupation
Product Development
What's wrong with sleeping on the ground? :)

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
once you have done it for a few hundred nights and have a few decades of age it starts to get old and you realize it's just easier to sleep on something else.

Ken

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER
I really like that idea of a mattress that has a section to fill the footwells. I guess there's a lot of people who camp in the back seat of trucks and SUVs

Nick Gerteis

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
98 F-150, 2015 Nissan Leaf, Lightning preordered
Occupation
Letter carrier
I really like that idea of a mattress that has a section to fill the footwells. I guess there's a lot of people who camp in the back seat of trucks and SUVs
Better yet, F150 has a flat floor in the back seat area (at least in the current ICE version), so all you need is a sorta short and narrow mattress or air mattress or foam pad. I’m definitely going to do that.
Sponsored