• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
image.jpg

Power went out at 7 am - we’re in business! Thankful for the truck.
Glad to see it is helping. I am curious if you are running a router, computer/laptop/monitor with it. I think I read somewhere the output is square wave instead of sign wave and his stereo equipment was not very happy with that. When I lose power, I would have to run the telework setup with it and curious if there are any side effects for some devices.
Sponsored

wiffleballpractice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat SR, XC40 Recharge, XC90, Cayman
Occupation
Pretend Electrical Engineer
Glad to see it is helping. I am curious if you are running a router, computer/laptop/monitor with it. I think I read somewhere the output is square wave instead of sign wave and his stereo equipment was not very happy with that. When I lose power, I would have to run the telework setup with it and curious if there are any side effects for some devices.
Actually a good question whether the Lightning's inverter is "pure sine wave" or not ("modified sine wave" is the other option). I can't find anything in a spec that says yes or no. Some people seem to believe the power boost pro power is pure sine wave, that's some evidence, I suppose.

For what it's worth, it shouldn't matter for purely digital electronics (computers, routers, etc.), as the conversion to DC negates any effects. Where it really matters is on items with motors or other electronics that rely on the actual oscillations of the AC. I could envision this including stereo equipment, but not really my expertise; but it does affect refrigerators, AC units, fans, vacuums, old TVs, some lightbulbs, etc.

OP
OP
olliegator

olliegator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lariat ER Antimatter Blue (wave 3, 7.18 build)
I am - through a UPS. It’s running my router and Starlink just fine.

OP
OP
olliegator

olliegator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Update - still no power. Truck has lost 15% of charge in the past 24 hours. My neighbors keep pouring gas into their generators - I’m just cruising along.

100% would recommend

johnnyonetime

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER
Occupation
Retired
image.jpg

Power went out at 7 am - we’re in business! Thankful for the truck.
I’m in Deltona, SW Volusia County. We lost power 8 am yesterday. Sitting in my RV with the generator running. Plugged house refrigerator and garage freezer into the RV. Duke Energy assessing damage and providing updates via email, but no timeline for restoration. Widespread use of generators in my neighborhood.
Ian was a tropical storm as it passed South of us. We had some trees knocked down and the rain was relentless.
My truck has been in production for 38 days, wish I had it to do what you’re doing. That was part of what sold me on the Lightning.

Sponsored
OP
OP
olliegator

olliegator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’m in Deltona, SW Volusia County. We lost power 8 am yesterday. Sitting in my RV with the generator running. Plugged house refrigerator and garage freezer into the RV. Duke Energy assessing damage and providing updates via email, but no timeline for restoration. Widespread use of generators in my neighborhood.
Ian was a tropical storm as it passed South of us. We had some trees knocked down and the rain was relentless.
My truck has been in production for 38 days, wish I had it to do what you’re doing. That was part of what sold me on the Lightning.
We’re ~20 miles west of you. Same deal here - no ETA yet on restoration of power and our yard looks like it has more branches and leaves than grass. Two trees down.

Stay safe - you will love the Lightning when you get it. I still haven’t seen one in the wild.

watchdoc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Leaf SV+, 2016 Ram Big Horn
Occupation
watchmaker
Update - still no power. Truck has lost 15% of charge in the past 24 hours. My neighbors keep pouring gas into their generators - I’m just cruising along.

100% would recommend
I know you are very busy but if you have time, please post more pictures of the truck powering your home. The AntiEV crowd simply doesn't believe it and they claim there are hundreds of stranded EV drivers that will need rescue.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
I know you are very busy but if you have time, please post more pictures of the truck powering your home. The AntiEV crowd simply doesn't believe it and they claim there are hundreds of stranded EV drivers that will need rescue.
I'm curious to see how the extension cord was routed into the house, did you have to leave a door/window cracked open?

OP
OP
olliegator

olliegator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I'm curious to see how the extension cord was routed into the house, did you have to leave a door/window cracked open?
I live in the country, so I just routed it under a storm door and locked that. Now that the storm is over, my next plan is to install a transfer switch - IMO they should be standard on all Florida homes.

(My home was built in 1938, so I can understand why one isn’t installed!)

Regular150

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 F150 Platinum, 18 Mustang GT PP2, 14 QX80
Occupation
Purchasing
I live in the country, so I just routed it under a storm door and locked that. Now that the storm is over, my next plan is to install a transfer switch - IMO they should be standard on all Florida homes.

(My home was built in 1938, so I can understand why one isn’t installed!)
We’re ~20 miles west of you. Same deal here - no ETA yet on restoration of power and our yard looks like it has more branches and leaves than grass. Two trees down.

Stay safe - you will love the Lightning when you get it. I still haven’t seen one in the wild.
Ouch, how bad did the Lightning get hit. Glad your all okay!

Ford F-150 Lightning Storm / Hurricane Preparedness with the Lightning Screenshot_2022-09-30-13-26-29-31_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12

Sponsored
OP
OP
olliegator

olliegator

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ok - back with an update. We had power restored at 2:30 pm today - so, about 31 hours without power.

The truck started providing power at 98% SoC - when I took the last extension cord off, it had 85%. 31 hours for 13%? I will take that any day.

To recap, I powered my 28 cu. ft. fridge, my Starlink internet, TV, router and Dish box/Apple TV, two mornings of coffee, 4 microwaved hot dogs, a morning of pancakes from the electric griddle, and two 15-minute runs of the air fryer. Plus assorted lamps, charging cables and fans.

A home run in my opinion.

Solar_EE

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning XLT Ioniq 6 AWD
Occupation
electrical engineer
Ok - back with an update. We had power restored at 2:30 pm today - so, about 31 hours without power.

The truck started providing power at 98% SoC - when I took the last extension cord off, it had 85%. 31 hours for 13%? I will take that any day.

To recap, I powered my 28 cu. ft. fridge, my Starlink internet, TV, router and Dish box/Apple TV, two mornings of coffee, 4 microwaved hot dogs, a morning of pancakes from the electric griddle, and two 15-minute runs of the air fryer. Plus assorted lamps, charging cables and fans.

A home run in my opinion.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Ian was mostly just rain and wind when it reached us in the Mid-Atlantic. Looks like your truck could have powered your house for several more days.

GoodSam

First Name
Good
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17CRV, 22 Lightning XLT 312A SR iced blue silver
Occupation
occupying space