• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Streaming Youtube in Ford Sync

jdc604

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning (Lariat)
Occupation
Bits & Bytes
I'm currently on Sync 4.2.1.1 and don't see the Youtube application. Is it only available in a higher version of Sync?
Background = 2023 Lariat (Canada).
I know that others have worked around this with streaming devices but I was hoping to have it available natively in the Sync system.
Sponsored

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
I'm fairly certain that the Canadian vehicles don't have that capability. It looks like it's bundled with other USA related apps that we don't have. Probably due to cancon or some other benign reason.

I was slightly annoyed when I couldn't find it but I'm not sitting in my truck that often to bother. Best I can do is listen through the truck audio to what I have on the phone.

Shawnson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning, Tesla Model 3, Subaru Crosstrek
Occupation
Dev
The support for updates in general in Canada seems crap.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You have spurred me into getting to the bottom of this.

Text chat with Ford support says originally that video streaming to the vehicle wasn't allowed by Canadian regs but it should be allowed now and that software updates should have enabled it.

Called Ford support and they seem to think it should be there, might be a problem with WiFi. I'm going to try a few things in the truck. Bell handles the cellular in Canada but I don't think it's a bell problem.

I will report back.

Last edited:

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I signed up for the streaming services and then called support again. After about 20 minutes the agent was able to tell me that there may be a module missing and that it wasn't possible to use video streaming in my truck(it still may just be software but no way to confirm). It only cost me $15 to try this out but I'll be canceling, Alexa is the only thing you get and that's not even worth 2 cents to me.

He did say that the 2024 models should have it, should.

So, it was a giant waste of time and now I'm annoyed by ford's half assed software/module rollout even more.

I will be talking with my dealer about it next time I'm there.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jdc604

jdc604

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning (Lariat)
Occupation
Bits & Bytes
I signed up for the streaming services and then called support again. After about 20 minutes the agent was able to tell me that there may be a module missing and that it wasn't possible to use video streaming in my truck(it still may just be software but no way to confirm). It only cost me $15 to try this out but I'll be canceling, Alexa is the only thing you get and that's not even worth 2 cents to me.

He did say that the 2024 models should have it, should.

So, it was a giant waste of time and now I'm annoyed by ford's half assed software/module rollout even more.

I will be talking with my dealer about it next time I'm there.
Thank you for the follow-up. This is poor implementation on their end considering that other OEMs offer this service. I use the streaming in my Model Y when waiting for the wife and kids and appreciate the distraction while charging my vehicle.
I too won't bother with the Ford streaming service.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
So, thanks to another thread here, I was able to get carstream working through Android auto.

I can now watch YouTube in the truck.

Thanks for nothing Ford. Maybe they shouldn't advertise capabilities that don't work?

Ford has really screwed the pooch on software updates.

OP
OP
jdc604

jdc604

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning (Lariat)
Occupation
Bits & Bytes
So, thanks to another thread here, I was able to get carstream working through Android auto.

I can now watch YouTube in the truck.

Thanks for nothing Ford. Maybe they shouldn't advertise capabilities that don't work?

Ford has really screwed the pooch on software updates.
Which thread did you follow for the carstream app?

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Streaming YouTube for FREE on Android Auto (on SYNC4A Display Screen) !! -- DIY How-To Instructions

Worked as advertised, it's android only.

NemoSadGoose

First Name
Spencer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning
Occupation
Property Management
Also I found if you click the menu button in youtube you can switch to youtube tv. Even though there is no dedicated app in the entertainment tab switching through the youtube app to the youtube tv app you can get live TV in the truck. We are a youtube tv family at home.
Sponsored