• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Confused.. So the car stream app is installed to your phone and then screamed to to screen? Or is carstream installed on the lightning screen?
Carstream would show up as an icon on Android Auto. I think it's actually a YouTube icon.
Sponsored

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
Confused.. So the car stream app is installed to your phone and then screamed to to screen? Or is carstream installed on the lightning screen?
It's installed on your phone. Your phone is just projecting to the truck through standard android auto connection. FWIW, I don't think this works anymore. I use an app called AA Store which I think I had to side-load. It allows me to use a web browser on my phone to connect to various streaming services and projects them to the truck screen. It also blocks video from playing when in drive.

This doesn't require rooting your phone, but you do need to know how to allow side-loading, and there's a fair amount of things to experiment with to figure it out. Expect to spend more time futzing with these things than a fast charging session takes. Or, in other words, it's not really worth it.

OP
OP
T i h o r

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
It's ok, I'm not sure it works anymore.

Got a new phone, the icons no longer show up on AA.
I'm not sure if there was an update to Android Auto update that I missed, but I'm on version 9.7.632214 and it still worked for me over the weekend. I've even used this in other vehicles that have android auto and it works fine - as long as it's installed correctly on your device.

If you have a new phone, you most likely will need to repeat the steps to get it up and running again.

OP
OP
T i h o r

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
Carstream would show up as an icon on Android Auto. I think it's actually a YouTube icon.
It definitely is a YouTube icon, and it functions as if it's a mobile version of YT, versus the proper app experience.

Zprime29

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, 2022 Lightning ER
It still works for me, though only in the middle 1/3 of the screen since the map stays up now. I switched phones to the S22+ recently and tried to add mirroring via AAAD. Turns out this phone is incompatible with the app. I still have YT due to the app transfer from my old phone.

Sponsored
OP
OP
T i h o r

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
It still works for me, though only in the middle 1/3 of the screen since the map stays up now. I switched phones to the S22+ recently and tried to add mirroring via AAAD. Turns out this phone is incompatible with the app. I still have YT due to the app transfer from my old phone.
As awesome as Android Auto Coolwalk is, that's the only drawback. Before the update, we could utilize the whole screen for the YT app.

OP
OP
T i h o r

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
September 25th and it's still working!

I just ordered a new phone, so fingers crossed it works on the newer Samsung's as well. Will report back if it doesn't!

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I'll need to try this, T-Mobile offers free Hotspoting so I usually just connect to my phones Hotspot to watch free YouTube while charging.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
It wouldn't work for me back in July, I kept it installed and now it works as of last week. Not sure what changed.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
T-Mobile offers free Hotspoting so I usually just connect to my phones Hotspot to watch free YouTube while charging.
I've tried and tried to get the truck's WiFi to connect to my T-Mo iPhone's hotspot. I keep thinking I'm missing something obvious. Do you have any tips?

Sponsored

TheBigBezo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
I've tried and tried to get the truck's WiFi to connect to my T-Mo iPhone's hotspot. I keep thinking I'm missing something obvious. Do you have any tips?
Not to insult your intelligence, have you used your phone with another device to make sure it's working right? I usually just enable it, open up the trucks wifi and connect, and then I'm able to stream away. If I run past my data limit for the month it does slow down enough to not be that great (may as well just watch from my phone) but that was pretty rare.

invertedspear

Threads
Reaction score
Website
lightningcalcs.pages.dev
Vehicles
Antimatter Blue XLT (312A) ER, 2004 Jeep TJ
iPhones are weird sometimes, change your phone's name. Sometimes that's what does it.

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
have you used your phone with another device to make sure it's working right? I usually just enable it, open up the trucks wifi and connect
I use it from time-to-time as a hotspot for my non-cellular iPad. The phone's name pops up as a nearby wifi connection, but I can never complete it with the password for the hotspot. It's almost like they want to sell me some Ford Streaming. ;)

KennyB123

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Are you connected to wireless Carplay or Android Auto? That uses your Wi-Fi and keeps the hotspot from working.

CRAIGC540

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lariot F150 Lariat lightning
Occupation
Technician
I have this working but when it plays YouTube shares the screen with Google maps even when I click the full screen icon. I see in your video YouTube takes up the whole screen.
How do I get full screen?
Sponsored