• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Sudden 13-point drop in battery charge percentage--what happened?

edcoble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat (ER)
Occupation
Retired/former lawyer/former pastor
Before I parked in a gracery lot this afternoon, charge percentage showed 45%. After a few minutes shopping, I returned to the truck and charge showing was 33%.

Background: Drove my 2023 Ford F150 Lightning with ER battery 600 miles yesterday with no problem (charged at DCFC chargers 3 times). Arrived to my destination with 33% capacity showing. Charged overnight at wall socket and percentage rose to 46%. Driving truck today to post office and grocery store and percentage dropped to 45, pretty much as expected. Then while I was shopping it dropped to 33%!

I'm at 7500 feet elevation, temperature about 38 F.

Something else that is curious: my Charge Log does NOT show my charging history overnight, even tho as noted it was plugged into a wall socket and charged up to 46%.

Returned home and am wall-charging again and truck and app show it's charging.

Any insights/ideas for me? I appreciate any help. I've had the truck for 8000 miles and have never had this happen before.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
When you say "wall socket" do you mean you are using a 110v outlet? If so I have experienced this same anomaly when using 110v while camping..It adds the charge, but quickly loses 10% of it..not sure why.

OP
OP

edcoble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat (ER)
Occupation
Retired/former lawyer/former pastor
Yes, 110v. Curious.

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
Before mine got towed for a bad HV battery module, mine was going from 100 to an immediate 93% charge and then eventually to 86%. I hope this isn’t the case for you.

Fast forward over 10 weeks. They are now saying it’s a bad charging port and there are none to order. They are in the middle of a redesign. Literally have to wait for them to build a new one.

Last edited:

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Before mine got towed for a bad HV battery module, mine was going from 100 to an immediate 93% charge and then eventually to 86%. I hope this isn’t the case for you.

Fast forward over 10 weeks. They are now saying it’s a bad charging port and there are none to order. They are in the middle of a redesign. Literally have to wait for them to build a new one. I’ve contacted two law firms.
Look at it this way. If they are designing a new one, maybe you will be the first to get a native NACS port. 🤔🤣

Sponsored

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
To tell you the truth that is probably what’s going to happen. They have no charging ports to order. I’m pretty sure I will get that one. But, Ford is still at fault for keeping my Lightning for 2 1/2 months and no end in sight at the moment.

Madasahatter1138

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Transit
Occupation
Electronics Tech
Yes, 110v. Curious.
I had it happen twice within a few days of each other, but that was 6 months ago. Hasnt happened since.
I've also 110v charged since then without issue. Never has happened when L2 or higher charging.

jmc6020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat
24 model year trucks will have CCS ports and I wouldn’t expect the part to be different than the 22s and 23s.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
L1 charging does occasionally cause weird problems but the biggest downside is that it doesn't condition the battery. It probably thought the charge was higher but it was quickly pulled down by the onboard systems when started. At 38f it will be looking for hvb heat.

TheWoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum, 2021 Bronco Badlands
To tell you the truth that is probably what’s going to happen. They have no charging ports to order. I’m pretty sure I will get that one. But, Ford is still at fault for keeping my Lightning for 2 1/2 months and no end in sight at the moment.
Man, that sucks. 2.5 weeks is too long, but 2.5 months is ridiculous. Sorry that's happening.

Also, if it happened to me, I'd be lemon-lawing that sucker and asking Ford to buy it back. In my case I could come back and buy the same truck brand new and much cheaper!
Sponsored