• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla Adapter Question

Sapper55

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Farmer
I see that you can purchase a Tesla adapter for the lighting on Amazon. Can you use that adapter today to charge at a Tesla Supercharger location? Thanks
Sponsored

TerryNelsen

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Electrician
I tried to use a Rivian charger yesterday , no go.

Pod

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 AMB Lightning XLT SR
Did the Rivian just not connect? I have found those destination Rivian chargers to be pretty good. Most at state parks so far.

Sponsored

Rbert

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla model S
I see that you can purchase a Tesla adapter for the lighting on Amazon. Can you use that adapter today to charge at a Tesla Supercharger location? Thanks
No, the adapters available now are usually limited to 48 amps, way to low for a supercharger. You would need a more robust adapter rated at at least 150 amps. You would have to have a Tesla account with your specific vehicle ID number. The Tesla supercharger does not have a card reader or any visual means of communicating with it. It is my understanding that to charge a lighting at a supercharger now you would have to be at one of the dozen or so superchargers, manly in NY or CA, that have a CCS adapter and have a Tesla account set up for a non Tesla vehicle. Or you can wait until next year when Ford makes available their adapter and has the software in place to do a handshake with the Tesla supercharger. The billing then will be through Ford, not Tesla.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
No.

I read that " Ford and Tesla agreed to provide Ford electric vehicle customers access to Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, doubling the number of fast chargers available to Ford EV customers starting Spring 2024."

So still have to wait.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
No.

I read that " Ford and Tesla agreed to provide Ford electric vehicle customers access to Tesla Superchargers across the U.S. and Canada, doubling the number of fast chargers available to Ford EV customers starting Spring 2024."

So still have to wait.
Which makes me wonder - when is Ford planning on making the Tesla receptacle standard on new Lightnings?

Google says: In 2025, GM and Ford say they will start installing ports in their new EVs that will be compatible with Tesla chargers.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/gm-ford-embracing-teslas-ev-charging-technology-means-99971187

So do they mean the 2025 model year...details to be determined I suppose.

There will be a lot of adapters to produce it seems.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Which makes me wonder - when is Ford planning on making the Tesla receptacle standard on new Lightnings?

Google says: In 2025, GM and Ford say they will start installing ports in their new EVs that will be compatible with Tesla chargers.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/gm-ford-embracing-teslas-ev-charging-technology-means-99971187

So do they mean the 2025 model year...details to be determined I suppose.

There will be a lot of adapters to produce it seems.
It's not a model year thing, as much as it is a next generation vehicle thing. T3 truck for example. That's why all the news says "new EVs".

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
I tried to use a Rivian charger yesterday , no go.
I use those Rivian chargers with no issues when I visit and camp at my two favorite State Parks in SC. Huntington Beach State Park and Myrtle Beach State Park. Very reliable and handy. I get my full charge while walking or swimming at the parks. I am glad Rivian has installed them.
The park Rangers want us to use them as often as we could. We relay any issues to the Rangers office.

Sponsored

Nikos

First Name
Nicholas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F 150 Lightning
Occupation
Aircraft Mechanic
Did the Rivian just not connect? I have found those destination Rivian chargers to be pretty good. Most at state parks so far.
I agree. They work all the time. I have used them whenever I camp on the parks.

OP
OP

Sapper55

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Farmer
I use those Rivian chargers with no issues when I visit and camp at my two favorite State Parks in SC. Huntington Beach State Park and Myrtle Beach State Park. Very reliable and handy. I get my full charge while walking or swimming at the parks. I am glad Rivian has installed them.
The park Rangers want us to use them as often as we could. We relay any issues to the Rangers office.
Does the Rivian use the J1772

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
Does the Rivian use the J1772
Rivian has both J1772 and CCS1 charging in the Rivian Adventure Network. The J1772 "Waypoints" will work on Lightnings for Level 2 charging.

The DCFC locations are at REI and similar parking lot locations as you may see EA chargers. The fast chargers are currently limited to Rivian only.

https://rivian.com/experience/charging#map