• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla wants to charge reservation holders an extra $120k for early delivery of the Cyber Truck.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I just needed to bitch about something. CT happened to be there. That said, if what you need and what you want matches what CT has to offer, you got a point. The thing is Ford gives a wider range that covers more use cases. I personally rather uncomplicated suspension that I don't need to fix after warranty. I don't want a glass roof that I have to cover with an accessory to keep the heat out. I must have a spare. I rarely do fast charging so charging speed is mostly wasted on me. I like my bed open all the time. My pro payload is more than I ever need. I hate high phantom loss because my truck is sitting much more often than it is moving. I hear Tesla is always awake and my Pro don't seem to be losing much at all.

On the other hand, software wise I doubt Ford will ever get remotely close to Tesla and I am always afraid they will break something with an update and I end up paying for fixing it. I definitely could use rear wheel steering.
Yeah, a LOT of which is the best choice is personal use case (like you not needing to fast-charge) and personal preference. I'm glad they all exist: Lightning, Rivian, Cybertruck, etc., and think they're all going to be successful.
Sponsored

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Platinum, ‘21 Aviator, ‘23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
Reactions: GDN

intensifi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mach E
Sadly the order document you see after ordering says you have to keep it for a year before selling to anyone other than Tesla. They will allow a transaction to continue at their discretion.

If you violate that they want the profit plus $50K.

Super lame.

Tenetke

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning Platinum, ‘21 Aviator, ‘23 Bronco WT
Occupation
dad
I still ordered the awd option.

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
When the Model 3 debuted 6 years ago, existing Tesla owners moved to the front of the line. Rewarded for their support of the company. Nothing wrong with that.

Ford and their dealers have similar tactics - new models always are harder to bargain on or outright markups are added for NO added value. Tesla is at least giving these first buyers value for that $20K.

The hate on a company and man that is single handedly changing the old stodgy car build and buying process is quite amazing and half way funny.

Even Farley wanted to jump out and note how the new Ford EV was moving to a 48 volt architecture. He needed to make sure and say me too. He's still chasing.
48V system is better than the 12V system. Not his fault he wants to improve the product.

Sponsored

Effonefiddy Lightning

First Name
Alfred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Antimatter Blue /2023 Model Y
Occupation
Retired
Sadly the order document you see after ordering says you have to keep it for a year before selling to anyone other than Tesla. They will allow a transaction to continue at their discretion.

If you violate that they want the profit plus $50K.

Super lame.
If you try try a sell a Ford GT before the year of ownership is up, Ford will take you to court.
How much will it cost someone to hire a good lawyer?

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
we always talk about dealerships making up new vehicle models based on market demand, and for the record I agree with those arguments
If a dealership has a vehicle on their lot they can price it for whatever they want. I'm not sure why anyone would take issue with that although I did see people making that argument.

That's a different matter, at least to me, then someone buying a vehicle for an advertised price, being locked into that purchase order, and then arriving to pick it up only to find the dealership is slapping a huge markup on it and the buyer has to walk away with no truck and no reservation.

123XYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Stupid headline. It's not an "extra" $120k. The price is $120k, because it includes the truck (normal price $99k), plus "Full Self Driving" ($12k), plus the bi-directional charging hardware (probably a couple thousand or so based on Lightning V2H equipment), etc. It's just saying the first 1000 trucks will be absolutely fully loaded. There's no "extra $120k" or any markup at all, really.

INCLUDED WITH FOUNDATION SERIES:
- LASER-ETCHED FOUNDATION SERIES BADGE
- FOUNDATION SERIES CABIN GRAPHIC
- 20" CYBER WHEELS WITH 35" TIRES
- WHITE DECOR
- PREMIUM ACCESSORIES
- 3D ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS
- SMUGGLER'S BAY DIVIDERS
- SUNSHADE
- BED D-RINGS
- L-TRACK HOOKS WITH TIE DOWNS
- BOTTLE OPENER
- POWERSHARE HOME BACKUP
- POWERSHARE MOBILE CONNECTOR
- FULL SELF-DRIVING CAPABILITY
- LIFETIME PREMIUM CONNECTIVITY
For the Lightning, the cost of V2H gear is more like $5,000 than $2,000. That's because Ford does the home backup using a complicated system of feeding high voltage DC power from the truck through its Charge station Pro to a panel on your house connected to an inverter that converts the DC power to AC there, and you need a Charge Station Pro to do it. If Tesla chooses to use one of the massive three-phase variable-frequency drives already in the CT (the inverters for the motors), to backfeed single (split) phase 240V power back to the house through a fancy transfer switch connected to a hard-wired charger, which should be easy if the motor drive inverter was built with that in mind, the cost of hardware could be less than a couple thousand, including the charge station and the transfer switch.

Ford didn't (or couldn't) use the Lightning's motor drives and chose not to use its Pro Power on Board inverter to feed AC to the house. You have a truck with 2 massive inverters capable of outputting hundreds of kW of AC power, one small 2.4 kW 120V inverter (for the receptacles in the frunk, cab, & the one 120V receptacle in the bed in the bed), and a medium-sized 7.2kW 240V inverter (feeding the 240V receptacle in the bed), but AC power only gets to the house through a 9.6kW inverter bolted to a wall.

So, with Ford, the cost is much higher but the cost of the CT''s V2H gear may be as low as you say, or even lower.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
For the Lightning, the cost of V2H gear is more like $5,000 than $2,000. That's because Ford does the home backup using a complicated system of feeding high voltage DC power from the truck through its Charge station Pro to a panel on your house connected to an inverter that converts the DC power to AC there, and you need a Charge Station Pro to do it. If Tesla chooses to use one of the massive three-phase variable-frequency drives already in the CT (the inverters for the motors), to backfeed single (split) phase 240V power back to the house through a fancy transfer switch connected to a hard-wired charger, which should be easy if the motor drive inverter was built with that in mind, the cost of hardware could be less than a couple thousand, including the charge station and the transfer switch.

Ford didn't (or couldn't) use the Lightning's motor drives and chose not to use its Pro Power on Board inverter to feed AC to the house. You have a truck with 2 massive inverters capable of outputting hundreds of kW of AC power, one small 2.4 kW 120V inverter (for the receptacles in the frunk, cab, & the one 120V receptacle in the bed in the bed), and a medium-sized 7.2kW 240V inverter (feeding the 240V receptacle in the bed), but AC power only gets to the house through a 9.6kW inverter bolted to a wall.

So, with Ford, the cost is much higher but the cost of the CT''s V2H gear may be as low as you say, or even lower.
Good info. I was just throwing some ballpark numbers out there to show it wasn't just $20k "markup", and that it certainly wasn't "an extra $120k."

123XYZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Pro
Good info. I was just throwing some ballpark numbers out there to show it wasn't just $20k "markup", and that it certainly wasn't "an extra $120k."
I certainly don't disagree with that. The "extra $120,000 line was particularly absurd.

I was just being a bit pedantic because I was annoyed to learn how much it costs and by the seemingly unnecessary duplication of inverters already present on the truck. In fact, I'm still a little grumpy about it.

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
I certainly don't disagree with that. The "extra $120,000 line was particularly absurd.

I was just being a bit pedantic because I was annoyed to learn how much it costs and by the seemingly unnecessary duplication of inverters already present on the truck. In fact, I'm still a little grumpy about it.
Yeah, no way I'm paying that much. I'll just plug into the outlets in the bed.
Sponsored