• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tesla wants to charge reservation holders an extra $120k for early delivery of the Cyber Truck.

jlferg0509

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevrolet Malibu; 2023 Ford F-150 Lightning

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
So, we always talk about dealerships making up new vehicle models based on market demand, and for the record I agree with those arguments, but what's the difference here? Is it different because it's the manufacture doing it or because it's Tesla.

https://jalopnik.com/tesla-wants-120-000-for-early-cybertruck-deliveries-1851080461
Stupid headline. It's not an "extra" $120k. The price is $120k, because it includes the truck (normal price $99k), plus "Full Self Driving" ($12k), plus the bi-directional charging hardware (probably a couple thousand or so based on Lightning V2H equipment), etc. It's just saying the first 1000 trucks will be absolutely fully loaded. There's no "extra $120k" or any markup at all, really.

INCLUDED WITH FOUNDATION SERIES:
- LASER-ETCHED FOUNDATION SERIES BADGE
- FOUNDATION SERIES CABIN GRAPHIC
- 20" CYBER WHEELS WITH 35" TIRES
- WHITE DECOR
- PREMIUM ACCESSORIES
- 3D ALL-WEATHER FLOOR MATS
- SMUGGLER'S BAY DIVIDERS
- SUNSHADE
- BED D-RINGS
- L-TRACK HOOKS WITH TIE DOWNS
- BOTTLE OPENER
- POWERSHARE HOME BACKUP
- POWERSHARE MOBILE CONNECTOR
- FULL SELF-DRIVING CAPABILITY
- LIFETIME PREMIUM CONNECTIVITY

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
These kind of clickbait posts should be removed.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
When the Model 3 debuted 6 years ago, existing Tesla owners moved to the front of the line. Rewarded for their support of the company. Nothing wrong with that.

Ford and their dealers have similar tactics - new models always are harder to bargain on or outright markups are added for NO added value. Tesla is at least giving these first buyers value for that $20K.

The hate on a company and man that is single handedly changing the old stodgy car build and buying process is quite amazing and half way funny.

Even Farley wanted to jump out and note how the new Ford EV was moving to a 48 volt architecture. He needed to make sure and say me too. He's still chasing.

Sponsored

Sponsored

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
People are selling their spots for $10K-$12K on ebay. For some reason there seem to be value in being first and driving CT before all the bugs are fixed and before the prices are settled to CT's actual value.

Just because Tesla says FSD cost $12K, it does not mean it is worth $12K. If for nothing else, simply because it is NOT Full Self Driving; you can not sit in the back seat and let it it do it's thing (at least not at the time of sale). That $20K is a markup. The extras are like the drink at burger king. It does not cost the company much.

Once the dust settles, and the shine wears off of that stainless steel, if Ford does not raise Pro price, and it is easily obtainable at MSRP, it will become clear how overpriced CT is. The only thing of value over Pro is that ~$20 KWh extra battery. Otherwise, my car has never been shot in 40 years. I have never needed to take out an airplane with my windshield wiper and I prefer to be able to use my truck's bed when I carry a spare. If I wanted a sedan, I wouldn't be buying a truck. And once you get a truck, you may as well get one with a manly frunk. The size of what you got out front counts dammit.

Increasing the margin with 48V and gigacasting is great and all for shareholders but if it does not translate to a lower price for the buyer, I am not sure why I should give a damn.

These rant sessions are saving me a ton money on therapy.

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
So do I buy? LOL.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tesla wants to charge reservation holders an extra $120k for early delivery of the Cyber Truck. Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 9.43.45 PM

Blainestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F56, R55, Pro
Once the dust settles, and the shine wears off of that stainless steel, if Ford does not raise Pro price, and it is easily obtainable at MSRP, it will become clear how overpriced CT is.
The Pro is a great deal compared to the base Cybertruck, AND every other EV truck, including the higher end Lightnings.

But if you want an "extended range" EV truck, the Cybertruck doesn't seem overpriced. More expensive than expected? Yep. But compared to the Lightning, you get much higher max charge rate, better infrastructure (at LEAST until Lightnings get NACS plugs), air suspension, rear-wheel steering, covered bed, way better software/nav, higher tow rating, higher payload rating, etc.

Not saying it's a no-brainer compared to an ER Lightning. Lightning has bigger frunk and back seat, amongst a few other things, like cheaper minimum price for ER battery, but the Cybertruck is very competitive in the dual-motor ER truck category, IMO.

Maxx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Pro, Sky RL, Frontier, Aurora V8, Buicks, ....
The Pro is a great deal compared to the base Cybertruck, AND every other EV truck, including the higher end Lightnings.

But if you want an "extended range" EV truck, the Cybertruck doesn't seem overpriced. More expensive than expected? Yep. But compared to the Lightning, you get much higher max charge rate, better infrastructure (at LEAST until Lightnings get NACS plugs), air suspension, rear-wheel steering, covered bed, way better software/nav, higher tow rating, higher payload rating, etc.

Not saying it's a no-brainer compared to an ER Lightning. Lightning has bigger frunk and back seat, amongst a few other things, like cheaper minimum price for ER battery, but the Cybertruck is very competitive in the dual-motor ER truck category, IMO.
I just needed to bitch about something. CT happened to be there. That said, if what you need and what you want matches what CT has to offer, you got a point. The thing is Ford gives a wider range that covers more use cases. I personally rather uncomplicated suspension that I don't need to fix after warranty. I don't want a glass roof that I have to cover with an accessory to keep the heat out. I must have a spare. I rarely do fast charging so charging speed is mostly wasted on me. I like my bed open all the time. My pro payload is more than I ever need. I hate high phantom loss because my truck is sitting much more often than it is moving. I hear Tesla is always awake and my Pro don't seem to be losing much at all.

On the other hand, software wise I doubt Ford will ever get remotely close to Tesla and I am always afraid they will break something with an update and I end up paying for fixing it. I definitely could use rear wheel steering.
Sponsored

Last edited: