• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

The End of Range Anxiety is in Sight

jeffcrum

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 XLT 302A Powerboost 7.2kw Inverter
Occupation
Computer programmer
it has remained the same in many areas, sadly. But more demand drives improvements. Most arguments made in regards to the grid not being able to support mass adoption of EVs are mostly pointless and unsubstantiated. It’s true, if suddenly 30% or more of all vehicles switched to electric overnight, our power infrastructure in many places wouldn’t be able to handle it. But it’s a gradual adoption that is accelerating. Most utility companies are also accelerating their infrastructure development and are promoting EVs.

Another way to look at it is that back in the ‘50s, people were making all the same claims and talking about our power grid not being able to handle electric clothes dryers. …just to add that little bit of perspective.
Of course demand drives improvements. Once the demand is actually here, the improvements will start. Time will tell.
Sponsored

astricklin

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
99 Mercury mountaineer
Because nothing ever gets better or improved, right? We should expect the grid to remain the same, or get worse, over the next decade. ?
Living in Texas, I wholly expect it to get worse.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
It will not be easy,
Likely not cost effective nor very efficient.

I think Plugless.com figures about 70% energy efficient.

I suspect battery, charging and EV tech will evolve past wireless charging before it becomes economically viable.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I'd like them to try that in Alaska where the asphalt can be over 10 feet thick in some places. ?
The wiring would be near surface mount so thickness of the road is not a factor. Issues with road bed moving due to freezing and thawing would be an issue in MI as well as AK but not a show stopper for wireless charging the cost and efficiency are the issues.

Sponsored

thomps33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
The wiring would be near surface mount so thickness of the road is not a factor. Issues with road bed moving due to freezing and thawing would be an issue in MI as well as AK but not a show stopper for wireless charging the cost and efficiency are the issues.
Actually it would be. Here in Alaska there is permafrost. So they just put more asphalt on top of the current asphalt as it sinks. Eventually your surface mount wireless charging is under 10 feet of asphalt and most likely broken as wires don’t stretch very well. Lol

OP
OP
MickeyAO

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Well hell, this doesn't stand a chance of working in Alaska. I guess we just need to scrap the entire idea and stick with the status quo.

Must be some hair-brained idea coming out of a National Lab and I guess we should just shut them all down to save money.

EaglesPDX

First Name
Eagles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
So they just put more asphalt on top of the current asphalt as it sinks.
Yikes. That sounds like environmental disaster but to the surface wiring of wireless EV charging, it would have to be moved every time road resurfaced on any roadway not just Alaska, another impediment to making "charging highways".

jbirdzee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Pro ER
Occupation
Engineer
Like many things, it takes time to work out the kinks moving concept to reality. I think there will be ways to make this technology work, and of course there are certain roads that have poor substrate that would be bad candidates for this. Thanks OP for bringing this article to my attention - I enjoy reading your posts!

G-Zeus

First Name
Garth
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning Lariat SR
This bit caught my eye:
In wireless charging, EV batteries are energized when vehicles are parked over a charging pad or driven over specially outfitted roadways while power is transferred across an air gap between magnetic coils embedded in the ground and installed on the car.
The part about charging while driving sounds exciting, but also pretty expensive. That part will probably take more than a decade.
Just like the roads in Death Stranding! Void-outs optional...

[edit]
Might be interesting to have a special "charging" lane that you drive through at regular speed for a minute or two to get a decent charge. That would be pretty cool.
Sponsored