• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unreliable Guess-o-meter, range anxiety, and the frigid weather...

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
I appreciate your perspective but it's impossible to gauge your actual consumption based on your post. I averaged 1.4-1.6 miles/kwh on a 700 mile road trip during Elliott with 0-10F ambient temps. I would probably get 2.0-2.2 mi/kWh on the same route in the summer.

This translates to a 20%-36% loss of range in incredibly cold weather and is in line with most other EVs, including the Mach-E. So I don't think it's fair to say that it's not a "practicable" EV.

I would suggest that you rely on the percentage and mi/kWh readout when gauging range on future road trips.
20%-36% is a huge range and optimistic on the low end it’s more like 30-35% in 15F -0F and that’s on crap side for most EVs. I accept it but not happy about it.
Sponsored

vandy1981

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'19 Jaguar I-Pace, '22 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Plumber
that’s on crap side for most EVs.
Which EVs are you comparing it to? Most EVs will lose 30+% range in single-digit weather. This is not a Lightning-specific issue.

bosox8

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Iced Blue Silver Lariat ER, 2nd Wave
Occupation
Sales
Thanks for the perspective... On our 21 Mach E, we only lose a small amount in the winter, so didn't expect to lose 35-50% on the Lightning. Its actually startling, especially given the premium the Extended Range battery cost.

FYI, cruise control set at 65 most of the time as I was optimizing for range.

It is not rational to choose between freezing inside the cabin, OR making it to your destination. While I understand the trade offs and the limitations of batteries in cold temps, a 200 mile or less range on the Lightning, much as I love the truck, is simply nonsensical.

What's becoming apparent, is that while Ford tried to make the Lightning as broadly F150 like as possible, they missed the mark. For certain missions, local ones for the trades, maybe local family hauling, temperate climates, etc, its probably fine. But for anything that even remotely resembles more trucklike missions, they over optimized for power, towing capacity, weight, acceleration, etc.

I would have been incredibly satisfied with only say 400 HP, limited towing or none at all, and 25% more static range. Instead, we have a stark choice, which is to either shut off all creature comforts simply to make your destination and preserve limited battery, or stop and charge every say 100-125 miles in cold climates, which makes literally no sense, and simply cannot be accomplished with the limited number of chargers available. This is certainly not what I waited a year for, much as I simply love the experience of driving the Lightning.

The enthusiastic and technical side of my brain says there's a way to optimize all the variables and have the F150 Lightning as a daily driver where we do actually make trips like normal people, and have owned 4 door pickups as a family entity for decades. But the practical side of me says it might not be possible given the Lightning's propensity to shed range in anything but optimal weather conditions.

I'm bummed
What I continue to find shocking is my truck is parked on my driveway in Maryland, charger connected, full charge, GOM registering 177 miles with an ER battery - I'm stunned the predicted loss for cold weather alone is 45% - come on folks who do this for a living - improve battery performance!

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
The more you drive, the more the GOM is more "accurate". Its not the best, but it just gives you a idea. However I was even surprised by how much it dropped when I did a 111 mile round trip recently. Like you, I got 1.6 mile/kwh.
Yes, the guess-o-meters they use in EVs drive people crazy at first.
I learned to almost ignore the one in my 2012 Leaf.
Driving aggressively even for a short period of time will skew the curve - sorta like if you get one C your GPA will never be the same in school.
On the other hand, coasting down a hill using regenerative breaks will skew it the other way.
I have actually gone for trips to the grocery store where I came back with MORE estimated range than when I left the house!
Highway driving eats up range like crazy. So does very cold or very hot weather.

And I'd say for a PU like the lightning a bed cover would help a lot to reduce wind resistance/drag and improve range estimates.

Even ICE vehicles loose range in cold weather too, or when using the A/C - the dashboard just doesn't tell you, but you can see it on the gas gauge.

I never use the HVAC in my Leaf, if it's cold I use the heated seat and steering wheel (standard).
It generally takes 5-10 miles range off my Guess-O-Meter.

Welcome to the EV world.

Sponsored

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
Not to be flip and noting many excellent comments....

An engineer looking at the Guess-O-Meter. :rolleyes:
Stick to hard numbers. MPK (miles per kwh) and SoC. Calm screen has been recommended.
Do the calculations in your head and none of this white knuckle is needed.

Also before taking family on trip you should experiment to see how the numbers adjust in cold weather. You should be check wind direction. Yes down to mph forecasts. know what you losses will be before hand. is rain or snow in forecast. Check status of chargers on route, have plan B, plan C, etc Also experiment with driving it takes to increase range if you absolutely have to, over inflate tires, turn cabin heat on and off, crack windows to defrost, etc.

Its just early days with EV's all of us are experimenting with our trucks and to be honest Ford should make this clearer. It is the reason so many of us are early adopters or close to that. We enjoy figuring this stuff out...

Theo1000

First Name
Theo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Etron,Chevy Volt,BMW I3,Mach-E,F150 Lightning
I would say the majority here are not 30%+
I can say for sure that Audi Etron number does not look right IME. Its more than 8% for sure. Neither does the Mach-E number. Just did 220 miles of 4f highway driving from 98% and still had 16% SoC left. Would be curious to see the assumptions behind Recurrent Auto estimates.

Personally I would not use these numbers.... ...can't recommend it to others either...

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
I never use the HVAC in my Leaf, if it's cold I use the heated seat and steering wheel (standard).
It generally takes 5-10 miles range off my Guess-O-Meter.

Welcome to the EV world.

I hear this a lot on these Lightning boards. I live in northeast Ohio and I'll be damned if I trade comfort for a couple extra miles. I will just have to schedule an extra charge stop or two. I've heard of people driving with their sideview mirrors folded in to produce less drag. That's just plain dangerous (and stupid imo). I understand that working charge stations are few and far between on some routes, but I don't mind having to make a few extra stops on a long trip.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
I hear this a lot on these Lightning boards. I live in northeast Ohio and I'll be damned if I trade comfort for a couple extra miles. I will just have to schedule an extra charge stop or two. I've heard of people driving with their sideview mirrors folded in to produce less drag. That's just plain dangerous (and stupid imo). I understand that working charge stations are few and far between on some routes, but I don't mind having to make a few extra stops on a long trip.
Ford F-150 Lightning Unreliable Guess-o-meter, range anxiety, and the frigid weather... Carlin stupid people

Sponsored

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
my truck is parked on my driveway in Maryland, charger connected, full charge, GOM registering 177 miles with an ER battery - I'm stunned the predicted loss for cold weather alone is 45%
I'd be interested in how you came up with a 45% predicted range loss. What type of mi/kWh do you see in your trip history?

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Also... the discussion keeps comparing the cold weather mileage to 320mi.

I can guarantee the same highway trip in warmer temps WILL NOT yield 320mi. You will be lucky to see 270-280mi at highway speeds.

bosox8

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 Iced Blue Silver Lariat ER, 2nd Wave
Occupation
Sales
I'd be interested in how you came up with a 45% predicted range loss. What type of mi/kWh do you see in your trip history?
Don't know how to say it any more clearly than I did - 177 estimated range (winter) on a full charge compared to 320 estimated range (summer) - strictly based on the GOM display - is about a 45% decline in anticipated range.

greenne

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning (Ordered 6/19, delivered 10/28/22)
Don't know how to say it any more clearly than I did - 177 estimated range (winter) on a full charge compared to 320 estimated range (summer) - strictly based on the GOM display - is about a 45% decline in anticipated range.
Except 320mi isn't the estimated range in summer (Highway range).

320mi is a made up number by the EPA and is a COMBINED rating of Highway/city driving. YOU will NEVER get the EPA 320mi range because it is impossible for you to 100% replicate test conditions.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
You cannot compare apples and oranges.

You don't achieve EPA range. You achieve YOUR range. You compare YOUR summer range to YOUR winter range, driving as you have been all along.

Do you post on forums complaining that your gas vehicle doesn't get the EPA mileage?
Sponsored