• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

The Man Behind The Best-Selling Truck In 50 Years - Ford CEO Jim Farley | The Fully Charged Podcast

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X
An amazing interview. [ Very easy to listen to at x1.75 ]

The Man Behind The Best-Selling Truck In 50 Years - Ford CEO Jim Farley | The Fully Charged Podcast

Jun 4, 2023 Fully Charged PODCAST
On the podcast today is first-time guest and Ford CEO, Jim Farley. Prior to joining Ford in 2007, Farley was Group Vice President and General Manager of Lexus, and the Group Vice President responsible for all Toyota Division market planning, advertising and merchandising

Under Farley’s leadership, Ford has boosted investment in electric vehicles to more than $50 billion and has set ambitious targets for scaling their production to 600,000 EVs a year by the end of 2023 and more than 2 million by the end of 2026. Recorded over Zoom at the FC North show in Harrogate, Robert and Jim pull the curtain back and talk EV software, electric transits, the F-150, battery plants, and the Prius.

Sponsored

GDN

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning Lariat ER, Performance Y
Occupation
IT
Interesting interview, and I give Farley props for the deal with Tesla, but has he really paid attention to who is buying the truck? Farley notes it isn't about proportion and the motors/performance - really? It seems it really is. He notes that the truck is popular and demand is driven by those that want to power their home. I'm about hooking up with an extension cord if I lose power, but those going all in with the HIS seem to be a VERY small number.

He then goes into this is about the digital product and software. The T3 better be the best thing since sliced bread or he has issues. So this will be truly interesting if they have been able to design this central new electrical architecture they have insourced. I would think he would be working a little harder to showcase this because it's still failing miserably in his current models - EV and ICE. He just reinforces how they just let 150 different module manufactures do their own thing vs having these trucks/MachE (and ICE) truly integrated and running a common architecture.

OP
OP

scottf200

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X
Interesting interview, and I give Farley props for the deal with Tesla, but has he really paid attention to who is buying the truck? Farley notes it isn't about proportion and the motors/performance - really? It seems it really is. He notes that the truck is popular and demand is driven by those that want to power their home. I'm about hooking up with an extension cord if I lose power, but those going all in with the HIS seem to be a VERY small number.
So you don't think the internet connected trucks, sales info, and customer relations/survey/etc give them details of why the Lightnings are being bought and how they are used? Your in IT and you think they don't have that data / reporting?

He mentioned how much job sites are using the power on board and was surprised how popular that was.

just let 150 different module manufactures do their own thing
The components had their own PCBs and programming. This is across the board of many brands and not just Ford. Many articles have been written on this since Tesla is controlling that carefully.

Ford did put a lot of effort into this with the Mach-e. Kyle / Out of Spec talked to a Ford director about OTA and nearly every module being updatable.

14:00 into video

DeluxeStang

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Maverick

He then goes into this is about the digital product and software. The T3 better be the best thing since sliced bread or he has issues. So this will be truly interesting if they have been able to design this central new electrical architecture they have insourced. I would think he would be working a little harder to showcase this because it's still failing miserably in his current models - EV and ICE. He just reinforces how they just let 150 different module manufactures do their own thing vs having these trucks/MachE (and ICE) truly integrated and running a common architecture.
All the discussions on t3 indicate the performance will already drastically exceed the already impressive current lightning. It's not like they're saying, let's focus on adding new features, screw focusing on towing capacity. It's more, let's make this the best truck ever, and the best computer on wheels ever. That's how I see his comments at least.

MickeyAO

First Name
Mickey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rapid Red Lightning Lariat ER, Kia EV6 GT-Line AWD
Occupation
Lab Manager of the Energy Storage Technology Center
Around the 27-minute mark, Ford is going to write all the software, and we have never done that before.

I think I may wait for the 2nd year of the new T3.
Sponsored