• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tilting Headrest?

OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
Someone on the ICE F150 forum put the non-adjustable headrest into a vice (by its posts) and said they were able to bend it into a more comfortable default position.
That is a fantastic idea, thanks!
Sponsored

OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Before trying to bend the standard headrest, I did a bit more testing, and found that the tilting headrest is more upright. The standard headrest is tilted forward equivalent to about 2 to 2.5 clicks of the 4 clicks of the adjustable one.

After bending the standard headrest quite a bit, it is still not as upright as the adjustable one, and I fear that bending it further will weaken it such that, if rearended, the posts will fail at the bends when your head impacts the headrest, possibly impailing your neck/skull base on the remaining post...

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Bending the headrest, which is an integral part of crash protection, is a really poor idea.

wilmerfjohnson

First Name
Wilmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 XLT SR,2021 Bronco, 2018 Fusion, 2009 Mariner
Been lurking on this thread... While installing seat covers on the Lightning today it occurred to me that the Lightning front headrests are similar to the tilting headrests on the 2021 Bronco... Confirmed!!! 2021 Bronco FE 2 door tilting headrests fit a 2023 Lightning XLT, no mods, drops right in. The detent notches on the posts are a little different but it all works fine.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tilting Headrest? Bronco_Headrest_Lightnin
Ford F-150 Lightning Tilting Headrest? Bronco_Headrest_Lightnin

50%positive

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning
Occupation
Underwater basket weaver
/\Nice find.

I flipped my headrest around and reinserted. It's not perfect, but not horrible like the forward standard option.

Sponsored

Simpso57

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
Did some searching, and read in another forum that this part number works in 2022 F-150s for a tilting headrest: ML3Z-96611A08-A.

I found the headrest here for $90 plus shipping. It says:

Fits F-150, F-150 Lightning

CAPTAIN CHAIR, W/MEMORY. CAPTAIN CHAIR, W/O MEMORY. MANUAL, VINYL. POWER SEAT, CLOTH & LEATHER TRIMMED. SPLIT BENCH OUTER SEATS, 4 way headrest.

Who wants to order it and see if it works??

tomjackbear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Sonata, Honda HRV, Ford F150L
Who wants to order it and see if it works??
It does work. I assume it is the same part @PV2EV ordered. I ordered two of them and the covers transferred over without issue. I personally think they make a huge difference in comfort vs the fixed forward tilt of the stock headrests.

Ford F-150 Lightning Tilting Headrest? IMG_0624

Simpso57

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F150 Lightning
It does work. I assume it is the same part @PV2EV ordered. I ordered two of them and the covers transferred over without issue. I personally think they make a huge difference in comfort vs the fixed forward tilt of the stock headrests.

IMG_0624.jpeg
I am hoping the tilting headrest can move a few inches forward than the standard headrest. Right now I have to tilt my head back a ways to actually connect. Have you found the forward tilt in the adjustable headrest to work good in that regard? I see @PV2EV said in the upright position he doesn't notice a difference....

I will order one if it works. Did you do the cover transfer yourself, or does the dealer do that?

OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I am hoping the tilting headrest can move a few inches forward than the standard headrest. Right now I have to tilt my head back a ways to actually connect. Have you found the forward tilt in the adjustable headrest to work good in that regard? I see @PV2EV said in the upright position he doesn't notice a difference....

I will order one if it works. Did you do the cover transfer yourself, or does the dealer do that?
ML3Z-96611A08-B is what I ordered.

Upright it is a few inches rearward of the standard headrest, but less than I wanted. I am now used to it. With three more adjustments forward, it will be far forward of the standard headrest.

I transferred the cover myself. It is tight, so be careful you don't tear a seam.

Good luck.

50%positive

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lightning
Occupation
Underwater basket weaver
Haha, fixed the problem today for my truck. Stuck the headrest in the hitch holes and stood on it. Spent about 5 minutes gently bending it in a few different places. Perfect angle!

Put down a clean rag on headrest first...
Ford F-150 Lightning Tilting Headrest? 20230421_110017
Sponsored