• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Time for new wheels for Platinum

Roscoe95

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Platinum delivered!
ok its time for new wheels for Platinum.. I like the Tremor wheels a lot. Whats the feedback on fit, rubbing etc? I could also go with some take off wheels like these :

Ford F150 OEM 18" Wheels BW Goodyear 275/65R18 A/T Tires 2004-2023 New Takeoff (For: 2022 F-150)Opens in a new window or tab

or
18" Ford F-150 TREMOR OEM 2022 2023 rims wheels tires 95032 Expedition A/T NEW (For: More than one vehicle)Opens in a new window or tab

what do I need to know? Do I need to have the TPMS swapped from original wheels or can I get new? Are they special to the Lightning??

Need input!!

Thanks
Sponsored

Henry Ford

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F150 Lightning
Any F150 takeoffs will fit. If they come with OEM TPMS sensors they will talk to your truck soon after installation.

The Lightning GVWR is about 1500 lbs more than an ICE F150. Logic suggests Ford rates Lightning wheels for more weight than ICE wheels. That said, people routinely overload their trucks and I've never heard of of a failed wheel. I haven't explored F150brokenwheelforum.com though.

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
VenomRex VR601s. Don't buy OEM Ford wheels, they are heavy cast wheels. Flow formed wheels are much lighter and proven stronger. I've had these on two F150s now and they're fantastic. Also you can expect an 8-10% range gain with these wheels since they are at least 13 pounds lighter compared to Lariat wheels and probably 20 pounds lighter compared to Platinum wheels, per corner!

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Anyone know what the weights are of the stock Pro, Lariat, and Platinum wheels? I'm trying to compare with aftermarket wheels.

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
VenomRex VR601s. Don't buy OEM Ford wheels, they are heavy cast wheels. Flow formed wheels are much lighter and proven stronger. I've had these on two F150s now and they're fantastic. Also you can expect an 8-10% range gain with these wheels since they are at least 13 pounds lighter compared to Lariat wheels and probably 20 pounds lighter compared to Platinum wheels, per corner!
You will not see an 8-10% range gain by changing the wheels - not even if you change to wheels with aero caps.

Sponsored

csukoh78

First Name
Nope
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
You will not see an 8-10% range gain by changing the wheels - not even if you change to wheels with aero caps.
My data disagrees.

9000+ miles with stock lariat tires and wheels with 2.2m/kWh in mixed city and Highway driving, internal temperature 75°,recirc. Single passenger.

4000+ miles with VR-601s 13lbs lighter per corner. No other changes. Same traffic driving pattern and habits. 2.4m/kwh. Photo proven.

Of course you get better mileage if you have lighter wheels and tires because reduction in unsprung weight massively reduces power required for acceleration. Lighter wheels greatly improve stop and go efficiency.

Coincidentally, other people with these wheels have showed similar results.

(Errorgant)- adj, English. A portmanteau of "error" and "arrogant" where someone (you) with no facts or basis in reality confidently and rudely states an opinion as fact which is easily disproven.

Last edited:

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Okay, maybe there are driving habits with which you can get 10% better range by swapping one set of non-aero wheels, with the exact same tires, for another (whether these wheels have "aero" in their marketing names or not, if they don't have caps covering the entire wheel face, they're not really "aero" wheels as generally understood). But this is very far from the norm.

How much of the total energy use of your truck do you think goes into the rotational acceleration of the wheels as distinct from the linear acceleration of the entire rest of the vehicle? If it's 10%, you're claiming to have eliminated 100% of that. All of it. If you think it's 20%, then you're claiming to have eliminated half of it. I would submit that it is more likely that, since you _know_ different wheels are on the vehicle (since it's not even a single-blind experiment) you're probably not driving exactly the same way even though you think you are.

I don't doubt that you personally are seeing these kind of efficiency gains. And maybe your test conditions are sufficiently well controlled that they're repeatable - for you. But I don't think others should expect that shelling out for a new set of wheels will turn their Lightnings from 300 mile vehicles into 330 mile vehicles - unless, of course, when they start carefully paying attention to range, it just happens to be the case that they gradually learn to drive more efficiently.

Lolat

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, 2023 Volvo PHEV, 2000 Mercedes SL
Occupation
Retired
Texas Wheel in Houston has big selection of take offs that will fit perfectly. Good to work with and will probably buy yours back.

Bokenator

First Name
Curtis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning - Antimatter Blue
Anyone know what the weights are of the stock Pro, Lariat, and Platinum wheels? I'm trying to compare with aftermarket wheels.
I don't "know" (I haven't weighed), but internet research has led me to infer the following on the Lariat:
Stock Tire/Rim with the General Grabber HTS 60's combined weight is 79 lbs based on below (https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/2022-ford-f-150-lightning-wheels-and-tires/).

Town and county ford ran a video where the weight was identified at 74 lbs for the rim and tire.

Tirerack's website puts the weight of the General Grabber HTS 60's at 34 pounds. Thus the Lariat rim must weigh 45 lbs if you believe Motortrend (79-34 =45 lbs).

If you believe T&C the rim weighs 74-34 = 40 lbs

So somewhere between 40 and 45 lbs.

Very theoretical. But a start.
Sponsored