• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Tires and wheels smaller than 22"

thorndike

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
I have a 2023 Platinum with 22" wheels. I am purchasing a separate set winter tires (wheels and tires) and want to know if I can go for a smaller set. There is no reason to spend the extra money if I don't need to. If I go for a smaller set, is there reason NOT to go with 18"?
Is there something I need to specify when looking at a wheel/tire combo? I am looking at Blizzaks as they have served me well in the past.
Sponsored

JTPDX

First Name
Jace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Platinum Azure Grey
I was RIGHT there with you on my 23 Platinum a month or two back. Hit dead ends with Ford (?), and several tire shops in my area as far as impacts on rolling rotations and range calculation given several different combos of 18 wheels with different snow / tire combinations. Plus, the additional $$ for a new set of wheels with nice snow ice tires was non trivial....So, I went with Michelin X-Ice 22's.....standard to the stock wheels. I have been driving on them for a few weeks now, and while I have only had them in the snow once so far, I see that they will be great for my ski travels this winter. I used this guys review that I watched way back when I was awaiting my Lightning and already thinking about winter driving plans.... and like I said, I already see where he is coming from. I'd like more sidewall...but honestly I'm over it. The price was right. Tires / wheels still look great and are ready for action.. Good luck! Let us know what you figure out.

OP
OP

thorndike

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Platinum
I was RIGHT there with you on my 23 Platinum a month or two back. Hit dead ends with Ford (?), and several tire shops in my area as far as impacts on rolling rotations and range calculation given several different combos of 18 wheels with different snow / tire combinations. Plus, the additional $$ for a new set of wheels with nice snow ice tires was non trivial....So, I went with Michelin X-Ice 22's.....standard to the stock wheels. I have been driving on them for a few weeks now, and while I have only had them in the snow once so far, I see that they will be great for my ski travels this winter. I used this guys review that I watched way back when I was awaiting my Lightning and already thinking about winter driving plans.... and like I said, I already see where he is coming from. I'd like more sidewall...but honestly I'm over it. The price was right. Tires / wheels still look great and are ready for action.. Good luck! Let us know what you figure out.
Did you get new wheels as well? I like having a separate set so I can swap them if need be and not have to remount them every season change.

Lightning Rod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
CNC PROGRAMMER/MACHINIST
Wow, 22 inch?

That's what's comes on the Lariat also?

JTPDX

First Name
Jace
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Ford F150 Lightning Platinum Azure Grey
Did you get new wheels as well? I like having a separate set so I can swap them if need be and not have to remount them every season change.
no, that’s what I’m saying. I like to do that too, but, with wheels that big, and tires for my wife’s and kids’ cars, my garage ran out of room. Plus, our tire shop stores the tires for seasonal changeovers, which is awesome, so save my money on new wheels and just mounted the new ones on the Ol’ Platinum daisy blades….

Sponsored