• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Truck Campers

dirtdiver

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Superduty F350, F150L 2022 Larait, Volt, R1200GS
Occupation
Engineer
Don’t forget all the crap you’re going to put in it yet. The water, the propane, food, your camping gear, your toys. That stuff adds up too.
Sponsored

Easycamper

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F-150 XLT 5.0L, 2018 PacHy, 2013 Volt
I don’t have any experience with truck campers.

As for weight, I wouldn’t worry about being held liable for being 100-150 lbs overweight. Liability for modestly exceeding ratings is a persistent myth that shows up in nearly every thread concerning weight. If you’re 5000 lbs overweight then maybe start worrying.

But as above make sure the weight you’re calculating includes everything you’re planning to put in the camper and the cab. It adds up quickly.

Hopefully you get some input from people with actual experience like you asked. You’d probably have more luck at iRV2.com.

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
Very good info, thanks! Looks like I won't get a shower in the units light enough to work. Also, many of these seem to be back-ordered for a year or more. Maybe the lightning will spur new products.
I have done quite a bit of planning for electrifying a Scout Yoho. I have taken the intermediate step of converting my ICE F-150 to a 'stealth' camper:
- bunk bed in the backseat area (rear seats removed) - I am 5'10" and it is slightly cramped as is the lower bunk for my 5'2" wife.
- pullout kitchenette and storage in trunk under tonneau cover:
- - gas stove (20lb tank) and fridge and storage drawers on pullout kitchenette
- - 40 gallon water tank with on-demand pump for kitchen and shower
- - Dometic toilet
- - 4.9'x10' pull-out awning (to cover kitchenette area) - planned
I have spent 5 nights in it and it is pretty good so far....but a frunk and HVAC will be a huge upgrade, as will converting to electric appliances.

Anyhow, my plan for the Yoho truck camper includes:
- HVAC ducted from cabin (requires a hole to be cut)
- Running water (tank on drivers-side wheel well) with 5.5kW on-demand heater
- Shower (pop-up inside or out)
- Dometic toilet - built in (with venting fan)
- Built-in induction cooktop
- Microwave, air fryer, coffee maker
- Outlets
- projector (using side window shade a screen)

I am super excited about the camping experience based on this design (I can share more details - appliance choices, mock-ups, spreadsheets, etc). BUT......

I have done all the power budget stuff (my background is an electrical engineer FWIW). The huge drawback is driving range: for long-distance driving you want to keep the battery between 15-85% for fast charging (a 30% hit to range). The aerodynamics of a truck camper is another ~30% hit per my research. In cold weather, you gotta add an additional ~20% hit. So, for long distance trips you'll need to count on 45-60 minutes of charging every 2-3 or so hours (assuming you can even find enough high-power chargers along your route).

OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige
I have to fit 4 dogs in crates in the back seat area. I don't want to tow, and wife wants space. Likely going to keep our diesel RV:(

Sponsored
OP
OP
PV2EV

PV2EV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Chevy Volt, 2006 Kubota L39, 2006 Suzuki Eige

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
I have done quite a bit of planning for electrifying a Scout Yoho. I have taken the intermediate step of converting my ICE F-150 to a 'stealth' camper:
- bunk bed in the backseat area (rear seats removed) - I am 5'10" and it is slightly cramped as is the lower bunk for my 5'2" wife.
- pullout kitchenette and storage in trunk under tonneau cover:
- - gas stove (20lb tank) and fridge and storage drawers on pullout kitchenette
- - 40 gallon water tank with on-demand pump for kitchen and shower
- - Dometic toilet
- - 4.9'x10' pull-out awning (to cover kitchenette area) - planned
I have spent 5 nights in it and it is pretty good so far....but a frunk and HVAC will be a huge upgrade, as will converting to electric appliances.

Anyhow, my plan for the Yoho truck camper includes:
- HVAC ducted from cabin (requires a hole to be cut)
- Running water (tank on drivers-side wheel well) with 5.5kW on-demand heater
- Shower (pop-up inside or out)
- Dometic toilet - built in (with venting fan)
- Built-in induction cooktop
- Microwave, air fryer, coffee maker
- Outlets
- projector (using side window shade a screen)

I am super excited about the camping experience based on this design (I can share more details - appliance choices, mock-ups, spreadsheets, etc). BUT......

I have done all the power budget stuff (my background is an electrical engineer FWIW). The huge drawback is driving range: for long-distance driving you want to keep the battery between 15-85% for fast charging (a 30% hit to range). The aerodynamics of a truck camper is another ~30% hit per my research. In cold weather, you gotta add an additional ~20% hit. So, for long distance trips you'll need to count on 45-60 minutes of charging every 2-3 or so hours (assuming you can even find enough high-power chargers along your route).
Wow! I was just trying to figure out how to put a small air conditioner in one. I would really like to see how you’re going to do all of that. I was thinking of an Olympic, but a Yoho would be lighter for more mods.

I just got off of the phone with Scout and now planning on visiting them at the Overland Expo in Bend Oregon on July 8th. They gave me a good idea where to put the vent for a small air conditioner. I never have seen one and if I like it, I will order one there on the spot. I’m sure I will probably love it. Super excited about driving all over and camping with the Lightning.

Crilly

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2 Mache GTpe
What is wrong with using lightning a/c and venting the cab to the camper?

Oneand0

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bronco Badlands & F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Digital Investigator
What is wrong with using lightning a/c and venting the cab to the camper?
Never thought of that? It would depend on the draw or the power and which one would be more efficient, cost too I guess. Thanks for the idea!

Dave242

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 F150 XLT, 2023 F150L
The configuration of the Yoho lends itself well to a vent from the cab. As you see here, the rear window opening is mainly over a seating area that is far from optimal (unless you want to feel like a little kid with you legs dangling with no contact with the floor).

Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Campers data

The duct fan that I have targeted that I think would work well is this:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B09456J5CC/
Using this controller that would work for both heating and cooling modes:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08JNJ3JYP/

A couple other notes about my mockup here:
1) the GoalZero unit would not be needed (save on weight & cost and gain precious storage space),
2) I show my mock-up of a 5 gallon toilet (rather than the 2.6 gallon mini loo), that is in its own cabinet that could be vented with an exhaust fan,
3) the unusable space over the toilet could easily be converted to other uses (storage or appliance - microwave?)

Sponsored

Sdctcher

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Ford Escape, 2022 Ford Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
EV Gypsy

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
I prefer the floor less truck bed tent designs. That way you don't have to remove all your gear from the bed to set up the truck bed tent.

I like the Kodiak Duck Canvas truck bed tent (floor less) - it will work great with my BedRug and have access to the bed's Power outlets and bed lighting, has back window access too. Extends out to the tailgate for the extra leg room for the short 5'6" short beds.

05:58 - 3. Kodiak Canvas Truck Bed Tent fits 5.5 to 6.5 beds
Link: Amazon
Direct + shipping: Kodiak Canvas

Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Campers 515A4pfCMWL._AC_

Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Campers 7211_W__44064.1637789164

Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Campers 7206_ls_w__25449.1493160651

Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Campers 41DrL0cgL5L._AC_

Last edited:

Amps

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bolt
I prefer the floor less truck bed tent designs. That way you don't have to remove all your gear from the bed to set up the truck bed tent.
I wonder if this tent would play nice with a Retrax? Including a 6-footer in a sleeping bag? I really like the floorless idea with a Bed Rug.

REDHORSECA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lightning XLT SR - 5/30 Build, ICE F150 XLT Sold
Occupation
R&D
I wonder if this tent would play nice with a Retrax? Including a 6-footer in a sleeping bag? I really like the floorless idea with a Bed Rug.
Found a cheaper link https://www.canvascampingtents.com/...-7206-55-to-68-ft-Camping-Equipment_p_19.html

The tent has a flat metal rail that is clamped on top of the bed rail. See video. I have several sizes of the Dewalt speed clamps that I would use.

These pictures of my truck tent circa 2001-2003

The original 6ft Sportz Truck Tent without the rain fly on for increased ventilation in the desert, near Pinion Peak CA., 4 Corners/ Kramer Junction
Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Campers truck tent 2.JPG

Sportz truck tent again without the rain fly, near Ft. Irwin CA.
Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Campers truck tent.JPG

I broke away from our campsite and went 4 wheeling without breakdown the Sportz truck tent. Went about 10+ miles at 30-40 mph. I climbed the side of a volcano and reached the top of the rim of the volcano. The crater and lava dome is to the left and down the embankment. This is with the rain fly attached. In Arizona, near the Grand Canyon. I took my dirt bike down to the lava dome, almost didn't make it out of the crater, there was pumice marble lava rocks everywhere, like roller bearings. Hard to climb out back up to the rim. Needed a lot of momentum and speed to climb out.
Ford F-150 Lightning Truck Campers truck tent 3

F150 short bed with Decked drawer system:

Dodge 8ft bed with roll-up tonneau cover + bunk cot.

Last edited:

asim8

First Name
Asim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford f150
Occupation
Mechanic
I prepared truck bed tent by myself after reading this post really work. Read Here
Sponsored