• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unable to charge, DTC U0293

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Platinum - Carbonized Gray Metallic
Occupation
Derivatives
The update didn't break your truck. Your truck was already broken. It just didn't know it yet. Better to have it done in s controlled setting and not out on the road.
Agree with you on that point, The lessor of two evils indeed. Now when my parts get ordered and finally arrive and truck repaired I’ll be whole again. I suppose it’s apparent that my frustration is starting to consume me and is getting the best of me at times. At the moment I’m sure this is not the experience that Ford Motor Company wants their customers to experience as they probably would tell me.
Sponsored

96161Lightning

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volkswagen ID.4, 2022 Lighnting Lariat ER
I'm monitoring a similar but slightly different issue. The truck was at the dealer yesterday for the 23B57D update. I drove home 70 miles without problems and arrived home at 28% SOC. I plugged in my 50 Amp home AC charger, and the truck is only pulling a max of 2.9kw. I have plugged/unplugged, reset the charger, and tested it on my other EV (normal function, pulling 9.6 kw).

The truck did charge all night. The estimated charge time keeps calculating as if the truck is charging at 9.6kw and then keeps adjusting in about 10-minute increments, but never based on the actual 2.9 kw it is pulling.

Any suggestions/thoughts on the next steps would be helpful. I'm an hour away from my dealer and need to wait there (I spent 6 hours there yesterday plus the hour drive each way), so bringing it back to them is not ideal.

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
I just got a powertrain malfunction yesterday and reduced power output to 57 . truck still functioned. when i plugged in later in the day it charged to 66% then stopped and gave amber rings and won't charge now. have an appointment to take it in monday. ugh

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
OP here. Take it to a DC fast charger and see if you can charge there. In my case, every time this happened, I was able to charge at a DCFC, and that was how I sustained it until I could get it in for an appt. THe last time around, I found that after a DCFC session, I was then able to charge at home. THe last time I had it happen was a couple months ago, and that was my resolution at that time.
Level 3 charger did not work. Different Level 1 & 2 chargers yield same no go red ring of death ☠ as far as charging. It’s now looking like I have a bad battery pack with low voltage in module 9 needing replaced. Clearing codes no good as it throws code after charging starts. Expected 10 work days to get once parts order is approved on review. Estimating 2 work days job.

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
I just got a powertrain malfunction yesterday and reduced power output to 57 . truck still functioned. when i plugged in later in the day it charged to 66% then stopped and gave amber rings and won't charge now. have an appointment to take it in monday. ugh
You likely have bad battery pack in one of your 9 battery modules if yours is extended range as mine is. Sounds identical to mine.

Sponsored

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
This is a snapshot of my known reason for 57% reduced power and inability to AC or DC charge (red ring of death ☠ charge port lights) in my vehicle so far….
Amazing and mind boggling how just one pack out of (~96 packs combined total number)
in any of the 9 battery modules can create so much chaos.

Ford F-150 Lightning Unable to charge, DTC U0293 3DF9E1F5-BE2F-4ACF-A71A-92B06E103D03

Last edited:

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
You likely have bad battery pack in one of your 9 battery modules if yours is extended range as mine is. Sounds identical to mine.
Just got to a dc charger and it is charging, but only 24kw max!? Hopefully I have enough to get the damn thing to the dealer…

ScubaSteve_TheReal

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Derivatives
Just got to a dc charger and it is charging, but only 24kw max!? Hopefully I have enough to get the damn thing to the dealer…
Good luck, I’m not a traditional trained mechanic, more of an IT trouble shooter common sense kinda person. Still love my truck but it’s a complicated beast by today’s standards indeed. Your issue sounds similar but different at the same time. Keep us advised if you would please.

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
Good luck, I’m not a traditional trained mechanic, more of an IT trouble shooter common sense kinda person. Still love my truck but it’s a complicated beast by today’s standards indeed. Your issue sounds similar but different at the same time. Keep us advised if you would please.
Dropped off while ago, was able to get a loaner (eww gas) by talking to the rep that sold me the truck originally, so that was a win. Guess we will see what service say come Mon. I had also reached out to the Ford account on here and I think they may be looking in on their end...fingers crossed.

I too REALLY like this truck, but for all the bad press they get, my Tesla had ZERO issues for 2.5 years and was a really great car. 2nd trip for service in under 4 months for the Lightning, tho the first issue wasn't EV related, but still without the truck for nearly a week with no loaner that time.

LazyLightningATX

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Lariat ER
Service adviser updated me late yesterday evening finally..."Its got some faults, our electrician is really busy, hopefully he can look into it some more tomorrow..." Guy acted like he barely even had time to call me how rushed he was acting, so I didn't ask any followups. Kind of disappointing to spend $80K on a truck and then when it needs service for a 2nd time in 4 months it seems like they are doing you a favor by even talking to you.

Guess it is just a waiting game now. Not very impressed by my loaner F150, making me miss my truck more every time I get in this thing.
Sponsored