• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Mach-E E4-X; 2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Copied from the Mach-E forum:

SSM 52039 2021-2023 Mustang Mach-E, 2022-2023 F-150 Lightning/E-Transit - Unable To Achieve 100 Percent State Of Charge After HV Battery Module Replacement

Some 2021-2023 Mustang Mach-E, 2022-2023 F-150 Lightning/e-Transit vehicles may exhibit a concern where the vehicle is unable to achieve 100 percent state of charge immediately after high voltage (HV) battery module balancing and replacement. This may be due to the battery energy control module (BECM) adjusting the cell balance (conditioning) of the battery module and should be corrected within 22 days. If the vehicle otherwise functions as designed with no related diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) setting, this concern will be corrected automatically with no further actions required by the technician.

----End SSM----

When a cell module in the battery is replaced, it has to have a similar voltage to the rest of the pack so the cells can all work in unison. However, the voltage in the new module may be close but not exactly the same immediately after replacement, which could cause a reduced battery capacity indication. The cell balancing system will work over time to correct the voltage imbalance, which can take up to 22 days.

Effects on % display may also be seen if you suddenly change your usual charge level (e.g. always charged to 50%, but now charge to 90%) or if your vehicle is brand new and has not been fully charged previously. Continue to drive and charge the vehicle normally to the same % level for 2-3 weeks and the fluctuating % behavior should decrease. Temperature effects may also cause a 1% variation when driving starts, this is normal since battery capacity changes due to temperature (pack has changed temp since charging finished).
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired
Good to know this, a few members returned their trucks with similar symptoms with buy-back and or lemon procedures, had they known this it might have worked out in the end.

Reactions: cal

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
Please report back on your experience. Would like to hear real owner stuff.

OP
OP
Maquis

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Please report back on your experience. Would like to hear real owner stuff.
If you’re referring to me, I won’t experience this (at least not yet). 23B57 completed, no module replacement required.

Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
22 days. Where the hell does that come from?

Mine is in today getting the update, we shall see.

sstevetx

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lariat ER w/Max Tow - Atlas Blue
This is good info to know. Luckily, I didn't have this issue after my battery module replacement.

AI_Speed

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Investor
Good to know this, a few members returned their trucks with similar symptoms with buy-back and or lemon procedures, had they known this it might have worked out in the end.
Who was able to get a buy back or lemon procedure processed?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
Who was able to get a buy back or lemon procedure processed?
I don't recall specifically who, it's likely they are no longer following the forum to help jog my memory

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
22 days. Where the hell does that come from?

Mine is in today getting the update, we shall see.
Hoping @MickeyAO checks out this thread, he could give us a primer on cell balancing processes in a pack.

Sponsored

AI_Speed

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Investor
I don't recall specifically who, it's likely they are no longer following the forum to help jog my memory
So you're claiming they got a buy back with the latest battery module CSP - or were they one of the 18 or so with faulty batteries early this year?

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired
So you're claiming they got a buy back with the latest battery module CSP - or were they one of the 18 or so with faulty batteries early this year?
One that stands out had a faulty battery, brought in for repair process, it was completed, but afterward the truck failed to perform as should have, especially concerning was the charging rate was substantially slower afterward.

The dealer was not able to resolve the issues and the member gave up on the truck, he lost trust and faith and frustration with the delays while they dickered around with trying to get the truck working properly.

I've read several folks relay in various threads where they Ford Tech's have had to contact engineering to give them a revised code for the balancing tool to get the operation to working properly!!

I fear some techs gave up, not being persistent and gaining tech support from the factory to properly complete the balancing process, leaving this and other customers with super delayed or half-done repairs.

It seems, that this 3 week internal self balancing process might have helped in some cases or maybe not, mere speculation at this point.

Still curious to hear Micky's take on slapping together a incorrectly balanced (replacement) module into the mix of other existing modules within the pack and relying on internal processes to slowly bleed down the imbalances.

Bigbuckhunter71

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LIGHTNING Pro
Occupation
Electrician
My truck is in the service department for program 23B50 ,they said there are parts that need to be installed by the dealership.
They scheduled me 3 weeks ago cause they didn't have the parts.
I will give update when I get truck back tomorrow, let you know if they needed to install a new module.
My rear passenger seat belt latch took a crap and they are replacing that also.

AI_Speed

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Lightning Lariat ER
Occupation
Investor
One that stands out had a faulty battery, brought in for repair process, it was completed, but afterward the truck failed to perform as should have, especially concerning was the charging rate was substantially slower afterward.

The dealer was not able to resolve the issues and the member gave up on the truck, he lost trust and faith and frustration with the delays while they dickered around with trying to get the truck working properly.

I've read several folks relay in various threads where they Ford Tech's have had to contact engineering to give them a revised code for the balancing tool to get the operation to working properly!!

I fear some techs gave up, not being persistent and gaining tech support from the factory to properly complete the balancing process, leaving this and other customers with super delayed or half-done repairs.

It seems, that this 3 week internal self balancing process might have helped in some cases or maybe not, mere speculation at this point.

Still curious to hear Micky's take on slapping together a incorrectly balanced (replacement) module into the mix of other existing modules within the pack and relying on internal processes to slowly bleed down the imbalances.
Thank you - is this the CSP you refer to? I had a battery module replaced 10 days ago & have been unable to charge to 320 miles now in my ER even after a reset of driving history right before the Level 1 charge in my garage - that seems related to the postings here.

Attachments

OP
OP
Maquis

Maquis

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Thank you - is this the CSP you refer to? I had a battery module replaced 10 days ago & have been unable to charge to 320 miles now in my ER even after a reset of driving history right before the Level 1 charge in my garage - that seems related to the postings here.
This TSB relates to not being able to charge to 100%. It has nothing to do with miles showing on the GOM (which is not worth looking at, IMO).
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.