• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Unable to DC fast charge - red ring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT Lightning
I searched and was not able to find this issue previously, but if I missed a thread, please point me in the right direction.

Yesterday I was traveling ( one of my first long distance trips with the truck) and needed to DC fast charge to get home. I stopped at a Charge Point and was not able to make a connection, I kept getting the red ring and also got a powertrain malfunction / reduced power error. I was near the dealership where I purchased the truck and they helped me level 2 charge enough to get home. Since it was the weekend, no techs were onsite to pull a code. After I got back home and was able to charge back up to 20%, I tried two other fast chargers and also go it red rings at every connection attempt. One was a Shell charger the other way a Charge Point. Truck is a 2022 SR XLT that was a dealer demo, 300 miles when purchased. I am able to to level 2 charge without issue. I also had full power when driving yesterday as well.

Anyone else experience this or have suggestions? I will be taking it in for service, but won't have a chance for a week or so.
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
Have you had the ability to DC fast charge before, successfully, or is this the first attempt and it failed?

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT Lightning
I have only tried two other times, once as a test when I first got the truck at the Shell charger I mentioned and the the other time at the first Charge Point yesterday. Neither of those were recent attempts.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT Lightning

Sponsored

The Weatherman

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 RR F150 Lightning Lariat ER, 2020 Explorer PL
Occupation
Retired
Thanks for sharing these links. I found the second post but was unaware of the first one. Sounds like best case I need a new actuator pin.
🤞 it may also be the failed battery module that a number of folks have seen. Definitely need to have the dealer test the battery system. Good luck!!

Piquette

First Name
Trent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
Retired
This is what happened when cell #96 in module 9 failed in my 2022 Lariat ER. The first sign was the “service the vehicle soon” warning, along with reduced power. When I tried to charge on my home level two it got up to 60% charge then stopped. The Ford app indicated there was a charging error.

Your dealer’s service department should be able to pull the error codes over the air. If not I would encourage you to get the truck to the dealer ASAP. Judging from my experience and what I have been reading on this forum, battery faults that required a module replacement seem to be very common. Replacing a battery module takes 2 to 6 weeks depending on the dealer.

Ford F-150 Lightning Unable to DC fast charge - red ring 166480D9-3241-4672-8EA1-C74CD8643390

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT Lightning
I had full power available coming home and I was able to charge to 80% that night, my normal setting, so I hope it is not a module. Staying positive for the moment.

Sponsored

jetfixr1

First Name
Manny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F150 Lightning Lariat ER
Are you using one of those 65KW chargepoints? My very first DC charging session was on one of those. I was in the mountains and that was the only charger around and it freaked me out. I got the same red ring you did, multiple times, around 10 times. I ended up calling chargepoint and they rebooted the station. While I waited I did read the threads about the actuator pin and came to the conclusion that I needed it replaced.

I learned that you really have to manhandle the plug into the port. Its not like a J1772 connector where you can be gentle with it. You have to firmly seat the plug into the truck. Ever since then I have had zero problems.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 XLT Lightning
Final update, I got the truck back and was able to test yesterday. I was able to DC fast charge without issue on the first try. They replaced the actuator in the charge port. If it is helpful to anyone, the part is LJ9Z 10D737A.

Jetfixr1, yes, it was a 65kw charger that I originally had issues with and subsequently tested it on yesterday.

Thanks to everyone for their help.

TaxmanHog

First Name
Noel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat-ER Max Tow
Occupation
Retired