• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

USB Uselessness?

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
Im frankly shocked so many people use USBs to store music and play them in their truck. My dad does but hes like... i dont know 63.
some of these old farts ( like me @almost 61 ) have cars that do not have Bluetooth or wireless ( the hot rods both use USB)
or inexpensive BT units in our older dailys only because I want her to put her damned phone away while driving.
BT works fine for the phone calls, but sucks donkey dicks for music and the phone needs to be tethered to play.

I just don’t listen to radio anymore—-45 min of ads for 15 min of music.
Sponsored

ZWARRIOR

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F-150 Lariat 501A 2.7l
Occupation
Software Engineer
some of these old farts ( like me @almost 61 ) have cars that do not have Bluetooth or wireless ( the hot rods both use USB)
or inexpensive BT units in our older dailys only because I want her to put her damned phone away while driving.
BT works fine for the phone calls, but sucks donkey dicks for music and the phone needs to be tethered to play.

I just don’t listen to radio anymore—-45 min of ads for 15 min of music.
Well I was thinking plugin in our phone to listen to music on Spotify and the such, since you would be charging your phone, listening to music, and even have the GPS all at the same time.

I am always cautious of BT, like its an amazing technology, but its impossible to expect it to be as reliable and good as a wire. (as of today)

Bryan Simon

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
65 Ranchero, 66 ElCamino, 05 Ranger, and more
Occupation
Maintenance
I am always cautious of BT, like its an amazing technology, but its impossible to expect it to be as reliable and good as a wire. (as of today)
I should mention that BT audio is just fine in the new truck.
Apple CarPlay seems a bit temperamental and I just gave up on it.
I would be more inclined to deal with the CarPlay if the iPads would be supported.
But, I am fine with my music starting when I get in and picks up right where it left off on my return trip.

when I’m just sitting and chilling, my tablet is tethered and is an optional music source. I just wish it was capable of CarPlay—I like the bigger display
(more old fart crap)

150ish

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford F150
Occupation
Inspector Gadget
I should mention that BT audio is just fine in the new truck.
Apple CarPlay seems a bit temperamental and I just gave up on it.
I would be more inclined to deal with the CarPlay if the iPads would be supported.
But, I am fine with my music starting when I get in and picks up right where it left off on my return trip.

when I’m just sitting and chilling, my tablet is tethered and is an optional music source. I just wish it was capable of CarPlay—I like the bigger display
(more old fart crap)
"Temperamental" is being kind. My phone constantly gets kicked off or the Carplay button is completely useless. It just stares at me when I tap it countless times. I haven't sat down and tried to figure out to hook in with the ole handy wire.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Ford F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Retired Army
Im frankly shocked so many people use USBs to store music and play them in their truck. My dad does but hes like... i dont know 63.
I’m like 72 and I do the same thing as your Dad. Back in the day I thought having an FM radio in a car was high tech. :giggle:

Reactions: sbi

Sponsored

Kanuck

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Super Cab Carbonized Grey 3.5 EC 302A 6.5 Box
Occupation
Electrician, Retired
I’m like 72 and I do the same thing as your Dad. Back in the day I thought having an FM radio in a car was high tech. :giggle:
Forget that..where is the 8 track?

Zyvin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F150 Crew, FX4, Lariat
I have several thousand songs on my usb in my truck and they play fine, with no issues.

I like the USB, because I don't pay for any music services other than amazon (just because I have prime), but to go through and add all of the same music, would take weeks. The free spotify/pandora etc. will just play genres or stations which is pretty much the same as the radio to me.

I like to be able to tell my truck to play "Major Tom" but the Shiny Toy Guns version, without having to dick around with a telephone, lol.

I also take the occasional drive without a phone...crazy I know (I'm 50, so I spent many years without a phone in my hand).

When I initially set up my usb, I used some sort of sync app that finds problems and sets up the playlists etc. so that sync can read it properly. In my old 2013, I had a portable hard drive in the console with 500GB of music on it.
Sponsored