• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What is needed to provide power, to house, via 240v plug in truck?

LightingFast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 XLT, BMW M3
I believe you need a GFI transfer switch to avoid the ground fault tripping in the F-150 Lightning 240v/30A outlets which apparently are GFCI protected.

Most GFCI's found on portable generators are there to protect the 15/20A, 120-volt outlets, and not the 120/240 outlets that are used to connect to home transfer switches.

However, you need a GFI transfer switch to connect any generator (like to F-150 Lightning) to your home if the generator 120/240-volt outlets are GFCI protected - without a GFI transfer switch it creates a ground loop and trips the circuit.

I would have the same issue in my home I believe because I do not think my manual transfer switch that I use for my gas generator (use rarely) is a GFI transfer switch.

For the source of this info, see: https://www.electricgeneratorsdirec...ipping-a-Generator-With-a-Bonded-Neutral.html

I believe they are who I bought my equipment from years ago.

An example of a GFI transfer switch: https://www.wincogenerator.com/product/reliance-manual-transfer-switch/
@chl I followed what you said here, and thanks for the great write up. I already purchased a Generac 6853 since that seemed to be the hot product. However, I have not opened it yet as I am still waiting on the FCPS and installation. Some people seem have it working by making sure the plug inlet and switch are not bonded. Do you think this is the wrong product and a GFI specific transfer switch is better?

Thanks!
Sponsored

jimfigler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Lightning Lariat ER, 21 Corvette Convertible
As a test I was able to get the truck to power the house using a L14 30 amp 240v cord and a L14 30 amp generator inlet box. The outlet and outlet box are grounded to the truck and the ground in 10/3 wire coming from the panel is left disconnected in the outlet box. the hots and neutral from the panel are connected to the outlet box like normal.

chl

First Name
CHRIS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2001 FORD RANGER, 2023 F-150 LIGHTNING
@chl I followed what you said here, and thanks for the great write up. I already purchased a Generac 6853 since that seemed to be the hot product. However, I have not opened it yet as I am still waiting on the FCPS and installation. Some people seem have it working by making sure the plug inlet and switch are not bonded. Do you think this is the wrong product and a GFI specific transfer switch is better?

Thanks!
I downloaded the User Manual, and searched for "bonded" in the text and I found this:

On page 11 of the user manual it states:

"Requirements
The Upgradeable Manual Transfer Switch is designed for use with portable generators with a bonded neutral, and used as a separately derived system. A grounding system and a grounding electrode system shall be connected to the ground terminal on the portable generator."

Also if you look at the wiring diagram on page 18, it shows that the transfer switch DOES switch the neutral lines isolating the bonded panel neutral from the generator.

Both are attached for your reference.

So is sounds like it should work.

Ford F-150 Lightning What is needed to provide power, to house, via 240v plug in truck? generac wiring diagram

Attachments

phildickerson

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning
Same! But installed by an electrician. Works great and pretty decent cost.

As a test I was able to get the truck to power the house using a L14 30 amp 240v cord and a L14 30 amp generator inlet box. The outlet and outlet box are grounded to the truck and the ground in 10/3 wire coming from the panel is left disconnected in the outlet box. the hots and neutral from the panel are connected to the outlet box like normal.

Farmford42

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
69 Bronco
Occupation
Farmer