• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

What's this QR code thing on the windshield?

GunRack

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lighting XLT, Model 3 RWD
What's this QR code thing on the windshield on the lower passenger side? is that factory or was it done when I had tint installed? Never seen anything like it. This area was covered up by the original dealer registration sticker prior to having tint installed so I have no idea if it was there beforehand.

Ford F-150 Lightning What's this QR code thing on the windshield? 20220802_125655
Sponsored

syrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 F-150 Lead Foot Lariat 3.5L PowerBoost
no idea but had it on 21 powerboost and lightning, wasn't your tint guy.

jefro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Corvette, Bolt EV,
Can your camera on phone detect it as a code?

rdr854

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
18 Volvo V90, 22 Ford F150 Lightning, 23 Outback
My dealer said it’s a factory thing and they had no idea what it is for.

RainorshinePNW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Ford F150 Lightning, Lariat ER, black/black
I'd noticed that on mine too, and figured it was another Ford Easter egg, but haven't tried scanning it

Sponsored

broncoaz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Bronco 2 door Badlands manual
Many of the parts on my Bronco have a QR type code on them. I assume it’s something used for tracking parts in the factory.

Gimme_my_MME

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grabber Blue First Edition Mustang Mach-E
Occupation
Engineer
What's this QR code thing on the windshield on the lower passenger side? is that factory or was it done when I had tint installed? Never seen anything like it. This area was covered up by the original dealer registration sticker prior to having tint installed so I have no idea if it was there beforehand.

20220802_125655.jpg
It is technically a 2D Data Matrix Code, not a QR Code. And the short answer is it is for part traceability and nearly every part on your vehicle has traceability markings of some sort.

There are quite a few differences between them, they have different ISO standards, they can encode different minimum and maximum amounts of information. For a given space a 2D Data Matrix contains more information which means they can be smaller.

2D Data Matrix are generally used for internal part identification and traceability control. QR codes are more often used as a customer facing interaction where you scan to get more information or website.

Ford F-150 Lightning What's this QR code thing on the windshield? download

They are both open source so while your phone app may not be able to natively read it, you can decode the information if you want.
Here's just the first site I happened to find that can do it. Let us know what the one on your windshield says!
https://products.aspose.app/barcode/recognize/datamatrix

sotek2345

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat ER, 2021 Mach-e GT
Occupation
Engineering Manager
Well, Google lens failed to recognize it or pull anything useful from your picture.
Sponsored