• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

Why doesn't valet mode lock the frunk?!

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I've had many cars with valet keys or a valet mode. On every one of them, valet mode has locked the trunk - even in one car where the "trunk" was a hatchback, which was a little pointless - except my F150.

I had to drop the truck off last night at a parking lot where I definitely don't trust the staff 100% and was shocked to see that, unlike either of the Teslas I've owned, valet mode doesn't lock the frunk. Seriously @FordMotorCompany what were you thinking on this one? You're not just behind Tesla but also Volvo, Audi, and even, hard to believe, my nearly 30 year old Saab.

What good could it possibly do a valet to open the frunk or the tailgate? At best it's a recipe for damaging the bodywork if they mash the wrong button on the key fob; at worst, an invitation to snooping or theft. Why?!
Sponsored

Jaime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 F-150 Lightning Lariat ER
Considering there's a manual frunk release to the left of the driver's footwell, I'm not sure what good electronically locking the frunk would do. Double-fail by Ford?

OP
OP

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
Yeah, they could have put that release in the glovebox, which they could have arranged to lock in valet mode too. Proper Planning and Preparation Prevents...you know the rest I'm sure.

Heliian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 LR Lariat, code name "Boogaloo"
You're being paranoid.

There is a much greater risk of a valet crashing your truck than someone snooping through your stuff and stealing things.

Best option is to get the underseat locker to store those extra special items.

OP
OP

tls

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning
I guess you're fortunate enough to never have had anything stolen from inside your car in a parking garage.

The risk is trivial to eliminate in any car that already has a valet key or "valet mode". Even if for some reason they couldn't have routed the frunk release cable to the glovebox (like a VW Bug, which, coincidentally, was supplied *in the 1970s* with a separate valet key to that worked the ignition and doors but not the glovebox or frunk) they could lock out the tailgate so a tonneau cover could provide some cargo security. These small design choices that provide a little security are standard for, it seems, all the other manufacturers who offer valet controls.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Rafis29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Lightning
Considering there's a manual frunk release to the left of the driver's footwell, I'm not sure what good electronically locking the frunk would do. Double-fail by Ford?
I got ride of that pull tab to better control access. I hate that manual release. I figured I can use a plier (that I keep near the jack) to pull the cable if need be.

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
[sarcasm font] I had to look up "valet" to see what you all were talking about, since it's a term I'm unfamiliar with. I'm astonished that you let a person park your vehicle for you. [/sarcasm font]

I was a valet when I was 17. I will walk blocks to avoid using a valet. In 40+ years of driving, I may have used a valet, with no other choice, less than 5 times. Twice was visiting my elderly aunt who took us to lunch at her club. I made sure the valet knew how to park my F-150, he said "I drive one" and was in his 50s.

Otherwise, no way in hell.

Ratherhavefun

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning Lariat
Occupation
CEO of Seemore and Dolittle
You're being paranoid.

There is a much greater risk of a valet crashing your truck than someone snooping through your stuff and stealing things.

Well, the initial valid concern has once again turned into a free-for-all for
You're being paranoid.

I don’t know if there are statistics on this one, but I’d prefer to have someone do a little snooping and steel my loose change, rather than crashing my vehicle… times are tough! Furthermore, it’s a good reason to not keep your vehicle registration available for possible snoops! If they can see that you’re doing well, they’ll be able to see where you live! Sad but possible! Stay safe!

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
they could lock out the tailgate
They do lock out the tailgate and to be honest I hate it because I service my truck more frequently than I valet it and every time I forget my FOB I have to make anywhere between a 40 minute to 1 hour round trip to come unlock everything for the crew. Just had to deal with it this weekend when I had my bedliner redone--everything was fine until the guy spraying the liner put the tailgate up to move it from prep to spray and then couldn't get it back down. I read some posts where people were able to open the tailgate without their key but none worked for me in valet mode.

cal

First Name
Cal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning, Tesla Model S Plaid
Occupation
retired
I've had many cars with valet keys or a valet mode. On every one of them, valet mode has locked the trunk - even in one car where the "trunk" was a hatchback, which was a little pointless - except my F150.

I had to drop the truck off last night at a parking lot where I definitely don't trust the staff 100% and was shocked to see that, unlike either of the Teslas I've owned, valet mode doesn't lock the frunk. Seriously @FordMotorCompany what were you thinking on this one? You're not just behind Tesla but also Volvo, Audi, and even, hard to believe, my nearly 30 year old Saab.

What good could it possibly do a valet to open the frunk or the tailgate? At best it's a recipe for damaging the bodywork if they mash the wrong button on the key fob; at worst, an invitation to snooping or theft. Why?!
You’re right. Valid point and something they should be able to fix with an OTA update.
Sponsored