• Welcome to F150Lightningforum.com everyone!

If you're joining us from F150gen14.com, then you may already have an account here!

If you were registered on F150gen14.com as of April 16, 2022 or earlier, then you can simply login here with the same username and password!

Sponsored

(WTF) No Drain Plug in Mega Power Frunk!?

OP
OP
T i h o r

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
Because people put ice in it because they think it's a cooler?
What's the purpose of the drain? This is what I'm having a hard time understanding. I'm not a contractor or tradesman, so maybe I'm missing something that other traditional truck owners know?
Sponsored

RickLightning

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Lighting ER Lariat,'22 Mach-E Premium 4X
What's the purpose of the drain? This is what I'm having a hard time understanding. I'm not a contractor or tradesman, so maybe I'm missing something that other traditional truck owners know?
It is not a cooler. It has no insulation.

Ice melts.

It is not a pool.

People are not smart enough to not drive around with a frunk full of liquid.

Therefore, it has a drain, but no plug.

wighty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Lightning XLT (SR 311A), 2023 Genesis GV60

It is probably a reasonable take, liability wise. It is easy enough to make a plug with tape so now the onus is on the owner should they forget and water sloshes around.

OP
OP
T i h o r

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
It is not a cooler. It has no insulation.

Ice melts.

It is not a pool.

So you also don't know why there's a drain in the frunk. Got it.

My model 3 has a frunk, and there's no drain.
My 718 Spyder has a frunk, and there's no drain.

What I'm trying to understand is why there's a drain in the frunk. If it's because FoMoCo is afraid people are going to put water in there, that's absurd. I could fill up both of my other frunks with water and rip it around and make a mess - how does that become Tesla's or Porsche's problem?

If there's a drain in the frunk, why not also give us a plug on the side to cap it?

SteelTerp87

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Lariat 2.7L (Platinum Lightning on Order
Occupation
Self-Employed
The theory was you can put what you want up there tool and material wise and then rinse it out to keep it clean, hence the drain

Sponsored
OP
OP
T i h o r

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
The theory was you can put what you want up there tool and material wise and then rinse it out to keep it clean, hence the drain
Is that just a theory that a member/reviewer came up with, or really Ford's intention? Because if it is, that would be a more compelling reason as to why there's a drain in the frunk.

However, it then begs the question - is that even practical? Isn't it easier to bring tools to a sink, then water to the frunk?

SteelTerp87

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 F150 Lariat 2.7L (Platinum Lightning on Order
Occupation
Self-Employed
Is that just a theory that a member/reviewer came up with, or really Ford's intention? Because if it is, that would be a more compelling reason as to why there's a drain in the frunk.

However, it then begs the question - is that even practical? Isn't it easier to bring tools to a sink, then water to the frunk?
That’s not what I was saying. Ok, so they advertise someone throwing bags of concrete in the frunk, or having a saw up there. Well, when you take those out, you are left with dust of variable kinds. So the solution is to rinse that dust out via the drain. So it’s not washing your tools up there, it’s washing the dirt and dust left by storing tools or just plain using the frunk. I think a plug should be a given but I’m just stating what Ford intended (at least based on advertising).

OP
OP
T i h o r

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
That’s not what I was saying. Ok, so they advertise someone throwing bags of concrete in the frunk, or having a saw up there. Well, when you take those out, you are left with dust of variable kinds. So the solution is to rinse that dust out via the drain. So it’s not washing your tools up there, it’s washing the dirt and dust left by storing tools or just plain using the frunk. I think a plug should be a given but I’m just stating what Ford intended (at least based on advertising).
Ahhhhh this logic makes much more sense for the drain. I absolutely missed that in the advertising if that was the case.

To your point as well though, the drain plug just seems like it should be a given. My 2nd gen Ridgeline had a drain and plug. Maybe the engineers at Honda are just visionaries lol
Ford F-150 Lightning (WTF) No Drain Plug in Mega Power Frunk!? IMG_7858-1672x1254

cvalue13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Lightning ER Lariat
Occupation
Fun-Employed

AT193

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 F-150 Lightning - Lariat SR - Antimatter Blue
At the NY Auto show FoMoCo was advertising the lower frunk container as a cooler. Additionally in this release from Fords media dept it mentions it as a "frunkgate" for ice and drinks.

Ford F-150 Lightning (WTF) No Drain Plug in Mega Power Frunk!? Screenshot_20220813-210545
https://media.ford.com/content/ford...-f150-lightnight-pickup-mega-power-frunk.html

I know there were ads for Mach-E showing it used as a cooler, but I didn't see one specifically for the Lightning. Also if their wording is a "drainable floor" that is not necessary what it ended up being. Since the term "drainable" makes it sound like you have some control over the drainage...

Sponsored
OP
OP
T i h o r

T i h o r

First Name
Rohit
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150 Lightning
Occupation
Self Employed
I will work on getting a mold made of the drainage port and see if I can do a short run of silicone inserts for it (y)
You're my hero!

Also, it looks like I'm not as crazy as everyone thought I was!

It's interesting how much slack I was getting for trying to use the frunk as a cooler, when Ford themselves had it listed as one of the use cases. It's unfortunate they just did a horrible job executing it.

ExCivilian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'05 RAM 2500 5.9L Cummins; '22 Lariat ER
You're over engineering it. Just pull out the Duct Tape. It's also easy to remove when you're done. Although now that I think about it, the wide clear packing tape might be better. I'd have to try each to see which is better.
It doesn't have to be sticky--the pressure will keep it in place. Just get some piece of silicone something. My kids have a car shaped water/sand box with long lost plugs for the holes. My wife bought these https://www.amazon.com/Wrapables-A7...ocphy=9031384&hvtargid=pla-608998676564&psc=1 a long time ago for our glasses and I have the kids cover the plug holes in their toy to keep the water in.

Ruination

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 F150 EcoBoost
Occupation
Chemist
It's cute...but you should use a cooler anyways
Sponsored